Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 17-12-2011, 02:13   #2476
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
You assume they are D-I-Y'd - they are not. Ankle weights are mainstream diving equipment for experienced divers. I have been scuba diving since 1955. See: McNett Commercial Ankle Diving Weights 72101 with reviews at scuba.com
Actually I thought it was a 50 / 50 chance of DIY .

Yes, I know about ankle weights - used primarily for trim, not as a substitute for a weight belt. Just thought I would chip in (gently?) in case someone (on a budget?) decided to tie a bag of spanners to a leg......without fully appreciating the possibilities of needing a quick(er) ascent. Not to say that a bag of spanners wouldn't work of course and be no problem 99.99% of the time.

Diving since 1955? I would have thought your brass divers helmet would have provided enough weight
Old 17-12-2011, 05:20   #2477

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The main problem with cleaning a bottom bottom is keeping your body upright. With excessive weights on a belt due to an excessive belly it is easy to end up upside down or any which way but what you want. Shifting weights to the ankles keeps you vertical so you can scrape without expending energy just trying to maintain a working position especially if using a hookah type rig.
- - And as others have mentioned, lines tied off the bow and trailing aft are a great assistance in keeping you in the area you are working especially with any current. I keep two lines tied from port and starboard at the bow and back to the stern. And slack enough to hang down to the keel depth. These greatly assist in keeping position while scraping. And more so if the water visibility is poor.
- - As to hookah, there used to be a very economical small 12VDC air pump with a "ribbed 25mm hose" that was good for 2 meters depth. But it seems to be off the market these days. I think Brownie's used to sell it.
Old 17-12-2011, 06:05   #2478

[QUOTE=avb3;839816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

Wow, 20 below must be a lot colder in Cleveland then up north here in Alberta! 4 minutes to make ice cubes? Really.
Yes, -20 Fahrenheit (-29C) is a bit colder than -20 Centigrade (-4F).

Ah, the joys of being on an international forum...
Old 17-12-2011, 09:09   #2479
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bought a telcel dial up modem which isnt working in my puter, which is a bad puter, and requires replacement.

as for fees to dock, inclusive of showering, security and even free fishies when certain folks fish, is ok. replacement of a dink is a lot more here than 500 dollars, so i am ok.
anchoring, alone, in cabo is 70 dollars daily. landing is more-- aint happening.
la paz is backsliding from where i am headed so i wont go there, either.

i have facilitator here and most everything is cheap-- tacos nearby are cheap-- 20 pesos for 2 carne asada tacos, 20 pesos for a ballena of pacifico, share with the chef---only one block walking ....

i dont use ice cubes-- wont freeze here......
Old 17-12-2011, 10:38   #2480
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
anchoring, alone, in cabo is 70 dollars daily. landing is more-- .
really, anchoring is $70/day?
Old 17-12-2011, 10:54   #2481
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
really, anchoring is $70/day?
is what i was advised by someone who just came thru there. cabo san lucas is a very high dollar place to stay and to visit.
Old 17-12-2011, 12:25   #2482
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
is what i was advised by someone who just came thru there. cabo san lucas is a very high dollar place to stay and to visit.
I never had a desire to go into Cabo,just turned around went back up north on the east coast...
Old 17-12-2011, 12:37   #2483

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

[QUOTE=ImaginaryNumber;839921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Yes, -20 Fahrenheit (-29C) is a bit colder than -20 Centigrade (-4F).

Ah, the joys of being on an international forum...
Yes, I understand the nuance of F versus C well.

I also know what -29F feels like, way to well.

I can't believe that a tray of water would turn into ice cubes in 4 minutes at that temperature, especially if it was at room temperature to start. Perhaps someone who can work a thermodynamic formula could comment?
Old 17-12-2011, 15:06   #2484

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
. . . as for fees to dock, inclusive of showering, security and even free fishies when certain folks fish, is ok. replacement of a dink is a lot more here than 500 dollars, so i am ok. . .
There seems to be an assumption by some on CF that you can just pull your dinghy up on a beach and leave it while visiting/shopping/touring ashore. That really is neither wise nor even allowed in many populated places in this hemisphere.

- - The likelihood that when you return to your "beached" dinghy and motor that it will be there - both dinghy and/or motor - is very low.

- - Secondly, most fine beaches are normally roped off or restricted for swimmers and dinghy and motor are not allowed. Chopping up local beach hotel touristas with your dinghy motor is not a good idea. Not to mention the tourista's kids climbing and playing in and all-over your dinghy while you are gone.

- - So "security" is a major factor as mentioned by Zeehag. Having a secure place to lock and leave your dinghy is very important even if it costs. Things like motors or gas tanks (or the gas) or oars, etc. also have a tendency to go walk-about unless the dinghy is in a secure (guarded) place and securely locked.

- - We have found that long lengths (maybe 10 ft) of 1/4" (6mm) stainless steel chain that is securely locked to the bow of the dinghy and another chain and lock(s) for the motor to the dinghy are very important. Locks need to be all brass or stainless steel so that they do not rust out in a month or two. With dinghies (RIB's) going to $2K or $3K and motors for $2K to $3K - "Lock it or lose it" is the byword.
Old 17-12-2011, 16:32   #2485

Boat: O'Day 25

Quote:
Anchoring last year was 138MN per day; about $10US at todays exchange rate. I heard (heard) that the price was to be adjusted down but haven't been back.

Dockage was $150/night for a 50 foot slip but that was a quote from one marina and there are three to choose from so don't know about the rest.

The problem with anchoring at Cabo is it's very rolly. No protection from the south and wave reflection from the west or north west is very efficient. The jetskis when a Carnival Cruise ship comes in only adds to the effect. (Fewer jetskis when Royal Carribean is at anchor. Mostly older folks)
Old 17-12-2011, 16:42   #2486

Boat: O'Day 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Not sure why you would want to stay in place like old harbor for very long,then paying 50 pesos to land?It was only 30 in Cabo and 20 in Lapaz.Go to a nice anchorage instead, land dinghy for free,water is clean,dive/clean own boat,and theft is almost nonexistant because there is noone around for miles.For 500 pesos per month you can get Telcel 3G,works miles from shore,wifi not necessary.
Last year and Marina La Paz charged 15 pesos per day for the dinghy dock and it entitled you to drop off garbage and agua puro dockside. Showers were another 15 pesos. It is possible to beach a dinghy for free in La Paz but you need to pick the spot and chain to a tree. Cabo was 30 pesos for dinghy and no water. Would not spend much time in Matlan. The mainland is kind of boring. I'd rather go for la naturalzena y la gente of Baja Sur.
Old 17-12-2011, 16:49   #2487

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

The anchoring in Cabo Bay is a few bucks a night,but loosely monitored.The marina was over $100. per night for 40' slip until recently but have reduced rates to try and attract people back.No doubt about the anchorage not being very good.
Old 18-12-2011, 10:56   #2488
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I can live with no frills but I absolutely want an engine.
I live no frills, very low tech and try to use my engine as little as possible. An engine is a very important piece of safety equipment, you don't need to burn up all your fuel just because the wind died and you are still in the "in a hurry to get nowhere" mindset from land (you are cruising, you don't have to get back to the office on monday....relax). A good engine can save your boat and/or allow you to save someone else.
Old 18-12-2011, 10:58   #2489
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

[QUOTE=avb3;840131]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post

Yes, I understand the nuance of F versus C well.

I also know what -29F feels like, way to well.

I can't believe that a tray of water would turn into ice cubes in 4 minutes at that temperature, especially if it was at room temperature to start. Perhaps someone who can work a thermodynamic formula could comment?
The main reason for a thermometer is so people can rationalize their complaining.
Old 19-12-2011, 13:32   #2490
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"

An albin Vega ( 30 Ft LOA ) with Leonard aboard stopped at Cocoa Village Docks this week. He left Toronto months ago and is bound for the Dry Tortugas.

A Westwight Potter ( 19 Ft LOA) with Janice and Tim aboard anchored
near Pegasus. They are trailer sailing the florida inlets and lagoons. Their 1 ft draft permits them to explore many interesting gunkholes.

A neighbor was busy cleaning bird poo from his Morgan 34, which he rescued from a sunken condition. The boat cost him $450

Fair Winds,

INDY
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising