Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 19:40   #1951

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

$210 a month in North SF Bay. Berkley is $450 with live-aboard.
Zee...probably anything is cheaper after being in San Diego. I hear it is expensive there. What are anchor fees where you are and...were exactly are you?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-10-2011, 04:35   #1952

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
$210 a month in North SF Bay. Berkley is $450 with live-aboard. . .
Just a request to everybody posting slip costs - the "$210 a month" means nothing unless you state the size of the boat or slip size if they charge by the slip size.
- - Please post by cost per foot of boat or slip size plus any extra fees like a live aboard fee. That will enable everybody to get an accurate idea of what their own boat would cost in your location. Thanks . . . .
Old 12-10-2011, 05:38   #1953

Quick question, fees are by the length, what about the beam? Mono being 8/9/10...14? Multi under 14, say folded or over 12/14.....if you get up to 16/18 etc. do they get you twice per ft.?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:54   #1954

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The systems I have seen used for catamarans have been mono-hull price times 1.5 for a catamaran. A new pricing system has come up where everybody has to state there LOA and BEAM (width) and the slip charge is by the "square foot/meter."
- - Alternatively, there is also the "slip size" system where you are charged for a 50 ft slip, if that is all that is available, even though your boat is only a 35 footer - or less than 50 feet.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:54   #1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Just a request to everybody posting slip costs - the "$210 a month" means nothing unless you state the size of the boat or slip size if they charge by the slip size.
- - Please post by cost per foot of boat or slip size plus any extra fees like a live aboard fee. That will enable everybody to get an accurate idea of what their own boat would cost in your location. Thanks . . . .
If you look at my stats (Avatar) posted with this, you'll see I have a HR 35. I was assuming I didn't need to mention it...sorry.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 13-10-2011, 08:56   #1956
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Quick question, fees are by the length, what about the beam? Mono being 8/9/10...14? Multi under 14, say folded or over 12/14.....if you get up to 16/18 etc. do they get you twice per ft.?
Most marinas have a max beam, after which they charge extra, and if the beam is such they have to put the boat in a longer slip, then they charge you for the whole slip.....the marina I am in is threatening to charge by the square foot, but I have a narrow boat so I am safe.
Old 13-10-2011, 10:09   #1957

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Vancouver BC, $10.00-12.50 ft basic, plus electricity and very few live aboard slips on salt water more in the river.
Old 14-10-2011, 08:30   #1958
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Basic is cheap here but once you add in all the fees, taxes, extras and more fees it comes to almost $3600/year for a 30' (plus metered power)and that is with a "permanent" slip I had to go on a waiting list for, before that monthly (with all the bells and whistles) was $429
Old 14-10-2011, 08:36   #1959

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
If the topic is CRUISING, why all this stuff about permanente slips?

If the topic is about doing it for $500 a month, why all this stuff about marinas?

Cruising means moving on, never staying still for too long. Cheaply means anchoring off.

Old 14-10-2011, 10:09   #1960

Correct...it's easy to go astray. I have a theory about living on $500 a month for myself. I'll be voyaging alone, I don't drink and i am a vegetarian. I have no doubt I could do it on $500 a month, but I'm not going to hold myself to it if I decide to splurge a little.
Old 14-10-2011, 10:56   #1961
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am in mazatlan, sinaloa, mexico. anchoring fees do not exist here , but there is a fee for daily use of club nautico, with wifi, showers, landing of dink and safety thereof. is worth it for provisioning and daily living with desires to see what is going on around----safety is decent and no ne takes dink off dock. might rearrange it to accommodate fishing pangas, but then there is the availability of fish for beer once the friendships are made. for men, there is the possibility of helping the panga fishermen with catching and cleaning and putting away the boats..... club nautico is a good facility

many commonly used veggies from home are difficult to find, but a good trip to centro mercado is worthy of finding good inexpensive local produce, as well as meats. picking and choosing is a good thing.
the mercado is only about a mile from the anchorage, farther from the marina.
Old 14-10-2011, 11:05   #1962

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Winter weather isn't here yet, but it is coming early. A couple weeks ago we had 35knot winds with 50knot gusts (it wasn't a storm, just windy for a couple of days, happens about once a week in fall and winter)
from the S blowing up Puget Sound, that is fall weather, winter gets really exciting.
I was out on Haro Straits a week ago(Tuesday) with a rising wind and sea. That was darned exciting. The next day, it was very placid water.
Old 14-10-2011, 15:26   #1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i am in mazatlan, sinaloa, mexico. anchoring fees do not exist here , but there is a fee for daily use of club nautico, with wifi, showers, landing of dink and safety thereof. is worth it for provisioning and daily living with desires to see what is going on around----safety is decent and no ne takes dink off dock. might rearrange it to accommodate fishing pangas, but then there is the availability of fish for beer once the friendships are made. for men, there is the possibility of helping the panga fishermen with catching and cleaning and putting away the boats..... club nautico is a good facility

many commonly used veggies from home are difficult to find, but a good trip to centro mercado is worthy of finding good inexpensive local produce, as well as meats. picking and choosing is a good thing.
What is the daily fee? Just curious.
Old 14-10-2011, 16:02   #1964
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, and Lake Worth.

The Hillsborough Sailing Club has an informative website. Among
the many treasures there, is a copy of the current (new) anchoring
regulations as passed in 2005. That statute eliminated almost all
local ordinances regarding anchoring of boats in Florida waters.

According to the law, a yachtsman is not considered as operating a "liveaboard" vessel as long as he does not claim it as his residence and/or use it as his place of business.

What this means in practice is one should never give his lat-long where
anchored, or his vessel name as his residence / business location. He
should always give a landside address for these.

If you are not a "liveaboard" vessel, and you do not anchor in mooring
fields maintained by state or local governments, you are considered as
a "navigating" vessel and permitted to anchor as and where necessary.

You are expected to observe the no discharge regulations regarding
garbage, dunnage, and sewage, of course.

We stayed at Lake Sylvia in Ft. Lauderdale for part of a week, and everyone was most helpful. We left the dink tied to a remote corner of
the finger pier on the east side of the boat launching ramp just north
of 17th street causeway, and just west of the marine police docks.
From there it was a half mile walk to shopping, including Winn-Dixie and Publix for groceries, RadioShack for a replacement cell phone, officeMax for electronics and supplies, and a UPS store where we mailed a package.

We stayed at Lake Boca Raton for nearly two weeks. Just south of the
Palmetto Blvd bridge, the city has a park with a boat launching ramp.
dock for loading/unloading, water for washing down the boat and watering ship, and sinks for cleaning fish. It has toilets and is just a half
mile from downtown.

We are now in Lake Fort Worth, about 100 meters south of the spoil bank at the north end. There are quite a few cruising boats anchored here, and it appears there is a yacht club on the east side of the Lake.
From earlier visits, there is a dinghy dock near the Flagler Bridge, too.

Of course, living at anchor is not always as convenient as lying in a slip,
where one may simply walk on and off the boat, but for those of us
on micro-budgets it is possible, once one gets organized.

Bicycles, particularly the folding kind, as our schwinn Montagues are,
fit in the dink and permit one to undertake excursions to quite remote locations, as I had to do last week.

An important letter was sent to us "General Delivery, Boca Raton" and
was sent to the Post Office on Banyan Avenue, just east of Military Trail. This location is about 4 miles west of the ICW, and pedaling in top gear, I took 30 minutes each way to cover the distance. Without the bike, the hike would have taken most of the day.

Tomorrow we are off to Ft. Pierce Inlet, there we will anchor just east
of the Coast Guard Station and just north of the Yacht Club. This club
is reportedly quite friendly, though we won't go ashore as we are pressing on.

Finding anchorages becomes second nature with years of experience, but can be made easier through the judicious purchase of cruising guides covering the areas of interest.

Of course, once outside the US, anchoring becomes the norm.

Warmly,

INDY
Old 14-10-2011, 16:11   #1965
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

I admit that i am not the most ardent epicure of tropical veges. I do manage plantains (fried) and have sampled Cassava on occasion. But those on micro-budgets would do well to give them a try.

Regarding local meats (beef), mostly grass fed, without hormones, and
generally lean, it does not fry or grill very well.

For steaks you want to grill, try marinating in soysauce, onion and garlic with salad oil, and pepper overnight.

If you can get a roast or similar large piece of meat, try keeping it in the cooler for 5-7 days. Holding it thus, permits aging of the meat including softening of the connective tissue, making it suitable for
grilling.

For the really tough cuts, bottling or braising is the solution.

Fair winds,

INDY
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising