Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2014, 17:25   #1

Cruising Ketches with a squaresail

I remember years ago seeing pictures of cruising ketches using a square sail. It was a common thing before spinnakers. They raised a lightweight yard to the top of their staysail halyard, and had a triangular sail above the yard to the peak of the outer Jib / Jenoa halyard.
Below this, they had a square sail with the bottom about half as wide as at the yard... The whole thing was furled by pulling the sail into the mast like as a shower curtain... It could be furled from the deck...

Am looking for pictures, diagrams
Thanks, Lewis
LH brackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 18:13   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Cruising Ketches with a squaresail

Found a thread on here "adding a square sail". Wooden boat also had some. Google is your friend but this one will take some digging and you still may not find much. I have been looking for " mule sail " info not much out there on those either.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 21:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Here's one:

Maurice Griffiths Gaff Rigged Ketch with Square Sail Rig For Sale in Greece - Crete

(see second image in slideshow)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 21:34   #4

These can be very efficient rigs in the trade winds
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 06:38   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I believe this sail is called a "raffee".

Useful in light airs downwind with a preventered main and mizzen, I would think, particularly when the wind isn't, as is often the case in summer, coming down to the water.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 13:07   #6

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

A ketch with a squaresail (Course) set on the main mast is called a Hermaphrodite ketch, whereas a schooner with a squaresail on the foremast is a Brigantine.
A square sail correctly braced and sheeted is a fabulous down wind sail, and even when the wind is thee points of the stern. The main problem is usually furling and unfurling them, particularly on short handed boats, or if you leave it late.
There are different methods of setting the sail, it can be pulled in and out on a track on the yard, like curtains. Or it can be sheaved from the yard arms and gooseneck and hauled up from the deck. There are other methods, but none can be reefed, they are either up or down, and this is very dangerous.
The only way to reef a squaresail used to be the old fashioned method, sending hands along the yard to either furl or reef.
I solved these problems on my 45’ schooner, and can furl and unfurl my fore course single handed from the cockpit. I can also progressively reef it, which means I can leave it pulling even in a strong wind.
The system on explained on my website, and there is no reason why it cannot be fitted to a ketch—except for the name.
Old 27-01-2014, 18:19   #7

Alchemy, is that the Yankee???. There has been a 48 foot ketch with a square yard on the Monterey Craigslist for months. Dirt cheep, must be something wrong there. If you can drop the yard to the deck, if you have to go to weather, it is probably OK, but if you cant drop the yard, you will have a dog to weather. Just another opinion. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 04:28   #8

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Hi gjordan,
I'm always interested in looking at other square sail setups, but I can't find that one on the Monterey Craigslist. Can you post a link please?
Old 28-01-2014, 04:38   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lewis.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 04:44   #10

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Look up Jay Benford's designs. Lots of answers there.
Old 28-01-2014, 04:52   #11

Boat: Currently boatless

Read Gentlemen Never Sail to Weather: The Story of an Accidental Odyssey: Denton R. Moore: 9780962882838: Amazon.com: Books
Story of Denny Moore's circumnavigation in a ketch with a rafee
Old 28-01-2014, 06:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Alchemy, is that the Yankee???. There has been a 48 foot ketch with a square yard on the Monterey Craigslist for months. Dirt cheep, must be something wrong there. If you can drop the yard to the deck, if you have to go to weather, it is probably OK, but if you cant drop the yard, you will have a dog to weather. Just another opinion. ____Grant.
Grant/Jolly Roger: That was just a Google Image Search for the word "raffee".

It was the first example that seemed to match what I meant.

Here's the schooner Denis Sullivan, sporting a raffee without a course beneath, but rather the usual gaff-rigged sails.

While I saw a book cover illustration of a raffee on what seemed to be a Bermuda rigged cutter sloop some years ago, and have read of "experiments" hauling up topsails in small yachts, it seems somewhere between unknown and unpopular a tactic.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 28-01-2014, 08:06   #13

Jolly Rogers, I went looking on craigslist, and can not find the boat right now. It has been on and off of the site for the last year or so. A double ended, wood ketch. Looks nice in the photos, but says NEEDS WORK, we all know what that can mean. I think it was listed at around 10K$. At that price it must need lots of work. If I see it again, I will let you know. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 09:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Jolly Rogers, I went looking on craigslist, and can not find the boat right now. It has been on and off of the site for the last year or so. A double ended, wood ketch. Looks nice in the photos, but says NEEDS WORK, we all know what that can mean. I think it was listed at around 10K$. At that price it must need lots of work. If I see it again, I will let you know. _____Grant.
Hate to point this out, but a boat built from mahongany or teak or iroko planking and oak frames is worth more than $10K lovingly disassembled than as a floating boat.

I have picked up some interesting and large pieces of teak from the boatyard garbage skips over the years, large enough that I wouldn't want to pay the price for new. Recycling at its finest!

Tags
cruising, ketch, sail