Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2017, 01:55   #1
TBC

Cruising - How cheaply can it be done?

Having read the 'Cruising on $500 Per Month' thread (admittedly not all of it, one tends to lose focus after 50 pages), I thought it would be interesting to discuss the absolute minimum budget that someone could cruise with, provided they were desperate enough to do it. To start off, the boats put forth were generally around 30 feet, heavy displacement etc. I have no doubt they are good boats, but, if someone was keen enough, that size could be reduced to below 20 feet, where the cost of sails, maintenance, haulouts etc are dramatically reduced. I think this is a rare occasion where building a boat is better than buying. After researching a number of small cruisers, I have here a few ideas for boats that would be more suitable for someone cruising on a nearly non existent budget.

Matt Layden's Paradox: Ultra shallow draft, good performance, capable. One has been sailed all around the Hawaiian islands, another around the Bahamas, Texas 200, the list goes on. Possibly a bit of a squeeze to live on, but for someone young and adventurous it would be possible.

John Welsford's Fafnir: Very capable, supposedly simple to build, incredibly spacious for the size, but a bit slow and would be very inconvenient around coastlines and anchorages compared to Paradox. A small motor would be preferable for manoeuvring in harbours and anchorages.

Tinkerbelle 2: Famously sailed across the Atlantic by Robert Manry, a very good looking little cruiser, capable and more manageable than Fafnir, though at the expense of load carrying capacity and comfort. I have a soft spot for this boat, and plans are available.

Wharram Tiki 21: Slightly over 20 feet, but very lightweight, meaning a relatively cheap build, and very capable. One has circumnavigated, and another has crossed the Atlantic. Would be perfect for the Bahamas with the shallow draft.

The list goes on, and I'm not going to list every small cruiser, but there are a few options.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:07   #2
cruiser

Re: Cruising - How cheaply can it be done?

There're people in US anchorages on boats they got for free which are complete wrecks, living off government assistance checks. So I guess theoretically, it can be done for zero cost... if that's how you want to do things.

A couple of guys anchored next to us in Dana Point, CA six years ago aboard a 27ft were doing exactly as I described. To give them some credit, they were able to move their boat around under sail power, to stay one step ahead of the authorities monitoring length of stay issues.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:16   #3
TBC

By using boats like the ones I mentioned, engine/fuel costs are practically eliminated (possibly with the exception of Fafnir and the Tiki 21), haulout fees could be avoided by simply beaching, or perhaps borrowing a trailer, maintenance costs will be drastically reduced, and sails will cost less. The next thing to consider would be food costs. By fishing as much as possible, buying a majority of rice and beans and scavenging off the land wherever possible, food would be relatively inexpensive. This is obviously dependent on the cruising location. Visas and port entry costs are pretty much unavoidable, but with care and caution, I think cruising on even less than $500 per month would be possible.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:24   #4
TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
There're people in US anchorages on boats they got for free which are complete wrecks, living off government assistance checks. So I guess theoretically, it can be done for zero cost... if that's how you want to do things.

A couple of guys anchored next to us in Dana Point, CA six years ago aboard a 27ft were doing exactly as I described. To give them some credit, they were able to move their boat around under sail power, to stay one step ahead of the authorities monitoring length of stay issues.
Interesting to hear, guess that answers the question
Old 05-06-2017, 02:50   #5

Come to Greece. Buy an abandoned boat. Get it towed to a small free port. Buy one pita gyros for lunch and the same for tea. Never move the boat. Total cost US $ 100 a month.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:08   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC View Post
To start off, the boats put forth were generally around 30 feet, heavy displacement etc. I have no doubt they are good boats, but, if someone was keen enough, that size could be reduced to below 20 feet, where the cost of sails, maintenance, haulouts etc are dramatically reduced. I think this is a rare occasion where building a boat is better than buying.
I paid $2,000 for my boat 6 years and it was near cruise ready when I bought it plus it had GPS (s), depth, VHF, anchors, and rode (2), dodger, running rigging, rigging, lights, dock lines, and sails.

It needed an outboard and bracket plus a replacement main. And a bottom job.

I doubt you could build as good a boat as a Bristol 27 cheaply but even if you did you'd then have to buy all the equipment needed

There are usually some decent boats available for around $2,000 - $5,000 or so already with the equipment needed

A quick check on Craigslist revealed this boat. Maybe not a RTW Boat but good for cruising the Bahamas, Caribbean, the Gulf, etc
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/6148816661.html
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I disagree that building is better/cheaper than buying. I did the math a long time ago.

Unless you are spectacularly good and lucky at scrounging the materials and parts needed to build a boat: glass, resin, wood, marine grade fasteners, mast, rigging, ballast, ports, hatches, lights, wire, winches, etc, etc etc.

AND all the gear you need like: anchors, rode, halyards, sheets, shackles, blocks, pumps, sails, etc, etc, etc

then building will cost more, probably a lot more than buying a used boat that typically has all this stuff already on board.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:29   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i think you are being a bit subjective,probably due to lack of real world experince!

having a very small boat is not a long term solution to cruising cheaply,as port ,customs immigration and cruising permits generally vary little according to length of pleasure vessel.

food is cheap,as long as you can buy in bulk in cheap locations and store it so you minimize the amount you need to buy in more expensive locations.
a deep freezer is invaluable for frozen meat and veg.

the same goes for fuel,in many places duty free fuel is available,but you need to have sufficient tankage to carry you to the next cheap fuel stop.

marinas are a big expense,so your ability to anchor in deeper water,in less than optimum conditions with confidence is a big saver.

which brings us to having a good dinghy and engine that can cope with longer runs ashore safely and load carrying ability.

being able to effect your own maintainace , repairs and carry spares ,materials and the power tools required to do this is a big saver.

power generation,by generator is expensive but usefull.
where as an effective solar system will give years of "free" power.

all these factors point to having a slightly larger vessel 33-40ft.

which would also allow you to take on "paying crew"for longer passages,not everybodys cup of tea,but a usefull way of minimizing passage costs,and adding an extra dimention to your adventure
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:40   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Read & heed the above, especially about boat prices. You can find fitted out cruisers of 30' or so for under $10k, many for half of that. Also, read the following:
https://www.amazon.com/Voyaging-Smal...rds=annie+hill
Voyaging with Annie Hill

https://www.morganscloud.com/2016/03...what-it-takes/
Not all who wander....are lost

https://www.amazon.com/Mingming-Art-...ling+ming+ming

Atom Voyages - Home
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

FYI, plenty of sailors use little more than cut down blue plastic tarps & duct tape for sails, cast off & DIY made gear. And feed their families as fishermen while doing so. Plenty of folks have cruised on the cheap this way too.

When it comes right down to it, once your house (boat) is paid for, if you're creative, you can live on a few dollars per day. Even in the US.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

When it comes right down to it, once your house (boat) is paid for, if you're creative, you can live on a few dollars per day. Even in the US.
This a good site for a new monohull sailor/cruiser. The paragraphs before the boat list give some very valuable info

I used the site as a guide which is why I may have ended up with a Bristol 27 even though I was already hunting for some sort of old full keel type boat having known a few guys that sailed them when I was racing beach cats in Florida.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:02   #11
TBC

I feel I should add a disclaimer. Yes, I am lacking in real world experience, though I am hoping to fix that sometime in the next ten years. This thread is purely for discussion and is theoretical, meant for brainstorming and sharing ideas and opinions.

With that out of the way, I can definitely see where everybody is coming from with the buying is better than building idea, and it does make sense. What I am trying to get at is if someone really wanted to cruise on the lowest possible budget, the simpler and smaller the boat is, generally speaking, the cost to run and maintain it should be lower. Yes, permits, visas etc will cost about the same, but overall the cost of cruising will be lower without expensive maintenance fees. It would be interesting to hear what percentage of people's budgets actually goes into maintaining their boat?

Instead of thinking of cruising as including month long passages across entire oceans, let's narrow it down to a smaller area, like the Caribbean for example. This means smaller passages where things like large tankage, lots of room for storage etc are less essential and allow for a smaller boat. Regarding electricity, wind up torches could be used as a primary source of lighting, and a single battery could be used to run essentials like the vhf. A small solar panel could be used to keep this topped up. Paper charts and a sextant for navigation or perhaps a hand held gps, hand pumps (or no pumps at all) for water and very occasional use of any laptops, phones or tablets would mean a very low power requirement.

Going without an engine could certainly be an option, especially for smaller boats like paradox or tinkerbelle, eliminating any need for diesel/petrol. Gas would still be required for cooking.

I don't know exactly how much it would cost to build a paradox, but I think about $5k would be a reasonable guess. There are definitely bigger and better boats out there for the price, but in the long run, certainly living on an ultra low budget with a paradox would be easier than on that Dufour 26?

Some great answers so far, keep them coming.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC View Post
Instead of thinking of cruising as including month long passages across entire oceans, let's narrow it down to a smaller area, like the Caribbean for example. This means smaller passages where things like large tankage, lots of room for storage etc are less essential and allow for a smaller boat. Regarding electricity, wind up torches could be used as a primary source of lighting, and a single battery could be used to run essentials like the vhf. A small solar panel could be used to keep this topped up. Paper charts instead of a gps, hand pumps (or no pumps at all) for water and very occasional use of any laptops, phones or tablets would mean a very low power requirement.

Going without an engine could certainly be an option, especially for smaller boats like paradox or tinkerbelle, eliminating any need for diesel/petrol. Gas would still be required for cooking.
You'll want some sort of engine because it gets old real quick sitting out there when there's no wind especially if it's really hot.........but then again if you want to experience those hardships that's your choice.

I've done enough of that so even my 5 hp outboard now makes a huge difference

GPS AND charts because you'll want to be able to get around those shoals and flats when finding a good anchorage and with both you can do that.

I'm using two $84.00 12V Deep Cycle Batteries in parallel and a 65 watt solar panel with $35.00 Windy Nations Controller (20A)

Electrical/electronics: GPS, Depth, VHF, AC Inverter, fan, lights, autopilot.

The inverter powers the fan, a fluorescent light, laptop charging, and phone charging
Old 05-06-2017, 04:37   #13
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

While I was in the Bahamas I met a 30's couple on a 27' boat. They kept losing oars for their dinghy so I gave them rides ashore (in the end they lost that dinghy). They ran out of alcohol for the stove so I gave them what I had (I had some for cleaning) so they could heat water for pasta (they were out of hotdogs). They still had to motor, when the weather allowed the boat to move and when the engine ran (they got towed back to the US in the end). There was always a bunch of stuff in the cockpit because there wasn't room below.

It didn't match the romantic fun idea people get when they think "I'll get a small boat and sail around", ............................. and they were spending a lot more than $500/mo.

I wish you luck, but ..............
Old 05-06-2017, 06:14   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

As one of those trying to live on the smaller end of the financial scale, I get where your questions are coming from. Small and simple is beautiful (and inexpensive), but I think Atoll makes a vital point: there is such a thing as too small.

If you are aiming for the most cost-effective, liveable boat over the long term, then going too big will make it impossible, but there is also such a thing as going too small. It’s not just about size either. It’s about how the boat is designed and set up.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned so far about cruising on the cheap is, I gotta stay out of marinas, and mostly away from urban areas. For me this means having a boat that is equipped for long-term independence. This means a boat with good tankage and storage for food, tools, spares etc. It means one that can carry enough good anchoring gear to securely swing from its own hook for long periods of time. It means having enough solar and wind to keep the batteries topped up. It means a boat that is large enough to carry all I need for long-term independent living, but also means a boat large enough to live on without becoming cramped or claustrophobic.

My approach has been to go with the smallest boat I (and my partner) can live with. Through experience we’ve learned what that is, which is how we ended up with our current boat. There is no absolute right for everyone. For some, the smallest boat is a 22-footer, for others a 50 footer is a must. I’ve settled on a 37-footer. There’s no right answer for everyone. You have to determine what it is for you.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:48   #15

This depends where you do your cruising, & what skills you may have.
Cruising in the Pacific islands, with in 2500 miles of Oz can be very cheap. If you can repair a tractor, a radio, build a shed, or a jetty, you will find so much work on offer, that like me you'll earn more than you spend.

I did have one proper job. I was asked to mind the spare parts department of a large trading firm, for 2 months while the manager went on long leave. When he didn't come back it took them months to get a replacement. Apart from that, it was just doing things for plantations that kept my bank balance growing.

Cheap trade goods will buy you a lot of food, & other stuff like great carvings from the villages all through the islands. There are virtually no mariners or moorings, you anchor everywhere, & a lot of bottom work is done tied to the end of a drying jetty or similar, where the tides are big enough.

I would not consider anything smaller than 33 Ft load water line, & you want the fastest easiest driven boat you can find, capable of carrying all the junk, & useful equipment you tend to gather. I did thousands of miles in 3 to 6 knots of wind, & it is some of the most enjoyable sailing there is. With continual light winds, the sea is mostly calm, & ghosting along at 3 knots is really great.

As I was just going to put the anchor down, & sit in the cockpit with a coffee when I got where I was going, I didn't mind being in the middle of nowhere becalmed, sitting in the cockpit having a coffee. 10 gallons of diesel for the main would last me a year no problem.

I found it was cheaper to use a small Honda generator to charge the batteries. It also supplied A/C to drive the sewing machine for sail repairs. Solar & wind generators were just expensive trouble, but may be better now. Gas for the fridge & stove were the biggest expense, & the most hassle combined. Most plantations could supply a little diesel, or petrol, but gas was harder to find.

I could not imagine traveling from marina to marina, & motoring in a yacht is a mugs game. I have skippered 30 knot 350 passenger tourist catamarans, & 12 knot large mono hull ferries, but the thought of listening to a motor droning on hour after hour for a lousy 6 or 8 miles an hour turns me right off.

Of course not everyone has such a great cruising ground so close to home, but for anyone who can get there, try the Carolinas Gilbert & Ellis, Solomons & New Guinea if you want cheap, uncrowded cruising.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, cruising