Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 13:20   #31

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Cruising Annapolis to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Model data is model data and none that I am aware of show fronts.

Synoptic charts are here https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/fax/marine.shtml and available over weather fax. See https://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/rfax.pdf

Synoptic charts show fronts and the clocking of winds on the front.
OK, got it Dave. Thanks for the links.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 07:06   #32
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

As Dave said, Windy is a pretty picture of what could happen given current conditions and no frontal systems.

At this time of year there are plenty of frontal systems.

Probably better to check NOAA Atlantic briefing which gives you the conditions at the important altitudes as well as predictions.

https://ocean.weather.gov/shtml/A_brief.php
Old 25-11-2019, 07:46   #33

Unless you are restricted by air draft, I think “ newbie” sailors with a new to you vessel going outside south basically in Dec, is not a good idea. I say this as a Cruising US Sailing instructor and 20 + years offshore cruising. Go inside at least to Beaufort/ Moorehead. it’s a very pleasant part of the IC. Then you and the boat will have more experience. If you want, you can choose to do outside hops of any size that fits the weather and your experience. Enjoy.
PS. Cold fronts never stopped me from traveling the ICW. roll out a little jib and enjoy.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 08:30   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Unless you are restricted by air draft, I think “ newbie” sailors with a new to you vessel going outside south basically in Dec, is not a good idea. I say this as a Cruising US Sailing instructor and 20 + years offshore cruising. Go inside at least to Beaufort/ Moorehead. it’s a very pleasant part of the IC. Then you and the boat will have more experience. If you want, you can choose to do outside hops of any size that fits the weather and your experience. Enjoy.
PS. Cold fronts never stopped me from traveling the ICW. roll out a little jib and enjoy.
I would challenge the idea that motoring the ICW provides experience useful for going offshore. Sooner or later you have to go offshore for the first time.

There is great merit in crewing for someone who has done it before. There is merit in training like that you have provided. I would say that there is merit in hiring a training skipper, but that would be self-serving wouldn't it? *grin*

The big deal in my opinion is really understanding weather. Hurricanes and Nor'easters don't just pop up.

For died in the wool carnivores there is merit to Coinjock. *grin* I find it more fun to watch than participate in.

"When in doubt go out."
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 17:50   #35

Boat: 1998 Gozzard 36

S?V Liora (A Gozzard 36) is in Oxford MD and may be heading your way shortly. We are hoping to depart tomorrow or Thursday.

Final Destination is Georgetown Exumas not Florida, but Florida may be on our revised plans.

We will be working our way down to the Norfolk area this week, and then head outside around Hatteras if we get a window. If it looks like a long wait, we will go in the inside. Ideally we would cross after passing Hatteras and not have to head back into Beaufort.

If it is not good now to cross, we will continue down the coast toward Florida and wait for a good time to cross. If too far south to lay Abaco when that happens, we will go all the way to Florida, and then to Nassua and work our way East to the Exumas.

Hard to be sure what we will do exactly! Depends on weather of course.
markskaplan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, cruising, florida