Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 14:50   #16

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Cruisers Vs Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Puleaze. Not trying to be provocative, KMac, are you? I'm a sailor, cruiser, racer and liveaboard. Yes, I race my home and sometimes I cruise with the kayak on the deck. I'm always sailing but sometimes I have to motor. Oh where do I fit in your narrow paradigm?
We can eliminate racer right off the bat. Racers don't take their home and kayak with them to race----too heavy.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 14:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Puleaze. Not trying to be provocative, KMac, are you?
What ever gave you that idea?
Old 13-12-2016, 14:58   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We could re-name the thread..... "People Who Work and Play on the Water: compare and contrast their values." Which sounds somewhat less contentious than "vs," as in combat.

Even among the group called cruisers, there are various manifestations. I think full time liveaboard cruisers are a very small part of the total cruising population, and among them, there are lots of variations.

Where we are at anchor now, there is one other US boat, on a mooring. It has come here over a two year period, with two young people on board. By "young", I mean the woman is still of child bearing age. Most of the other boats in here are on moorings. It is common in this location for people to bring their boat out to a club mooring, and spend a night, or two, or three. Motorboats of various sizes, and sailboats. Many of these never anchor, only pick up moorings, which are shared with others by customary agreements. There is one other sailboat anchored out today, a smaller one, who likes his privacy. One of the moored boats dragged yesterday while at anchor on a small Delta.

Most of the people out here are retired, but it is school holidays, so there are a few family people out here, too, but mostly see those on weekends.

To recap: for this one small bay, we have by the hours rentaboats, daytrippers, overnighters and liveaboard cruisers, both motor vessels and sailing vessels.

We're all cruising. Some of the mooring sailboats un-moor and take them for day sails. To further complicate matters, some of the crews are sailors, some, not so much; some are knowledgeable, some, not so much.

So, categorize us at your peril: it's like herding cats!

Ann
Old 13-12-2016, 15:13   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

I didn’t realize this was such a contentious question. I just thought we were having some fun. If this is a serious discussion, then I’m outta here.
Old 13-12-2016, 15:24   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ok now that this urgent issue has been completely settled, let's turn to a really good thread!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-158330.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 15:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I didn’t realize this was such a contentious question. I just thought we were having some fun. If this is a serious discussion, then I’m outta here.
It's not a contentious question but some will try and make it that way for whatever reason. The wide diversity of boaters is what makes it so unique.
Old 13-12-2016, 15:36   #22

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
We can eliminate racer right off the bat. Racers don't take their home and kayak with them to race----too heavy.
Whaat?!? Now I know you're just trying to be provocative. No, I do leave the kayak on the dock when I race, but I definitely take my home -- all the time actually. Was racing this past Sunday and have two more races already lined up for January though the 2017 calendar is not out yet. However, wind sucks at this time. Was barely moving at 4 knots of breeze on Sunday. Would rather it be blowing hard, ideally around 20 knots.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:09   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
You can't eliminate racers though because they are the best sailors.

Some are also excellent cruisers and seaman as well but they do not anchor a lot............

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:15   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Umm, don't most cruisers live aboard?
Eh, it may depend on where you are. Here most liveaboards do not cruise. They just live aboard. The reverse is also true - look at ARC cruisers who just cruise but otherwise live in their land based homes in Germany, England, Sweden and other cold and boring places.

But maybe when you look at cruisers congregations in Florida, California or Tokyo (3 samples, 2 of which transitory) you will get a different view.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:39   #25

Boat: Beneteau First 42

What rubbish. I have never--in 50+ years of sailing--pulled into an anchorage and had someone ask us whether we were "sailors" or "cruisers". We sail, essentially, every weekend. Sometimes from our home port and back and often times between ports for daze or weeks at a time. We are no less at home on the yacht than we are in our land house. My (much) better half sleeps better on the yacht; I sleep better in our land house, since I don't worry about the anchor dragging or the wind changing and putting us off a lee shore (although, truth be told, I have more than once awakened at our land house when the wind direction has changed only to realize that we not in danger of dragging!). In an anchorage, and most marinas, everyone is a "sailor" (save the poor sods with motor boats) and no one cares a fig. Moreover, whenever two boats are headed in the same direction, both are usually "racers". I have yet to meet the sailor/cruiser that does not trim his sails a tad to try to best his/her unwitting competition, all the while trying to look nonchalant about the affair. (I/we have a great advantage in that department as we have a very fast boat, regardless of how poorly we may trim her from time to time, so we can casually by-pass most of our unknowing competitors, which gives us a chuckle and at least some of them fits as they uselessly fine trim to pinch a few more tenths of a knot out of their aging sails.) Once one reaches an anchorage, or the marina, and settles in for sun-downers, or "moon shots" for late arrivals, we're all sailors, no?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 17:00   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
What rubbish. I have never--in 50+ years of sailing--pulled into an anchorage and had someone ask us whether we were "sailors" or "cruisers". We sail, essentially, every weekend. Sometimes from our home port and back and often times between ports for daze or weeks at a time. We are no less at home on the yacht than we are in our land house. My (much) better half sleeps better on the yacht; I sleep better in our land house, since I don't worry about the anchor dragging or the wind changing and putting us off a lee shore (although, truth be told, I have more than once awakened at our land house when the wind direction has changed only to realize that we not in danger of dragging!). In an anchorage, and most marinas, everyone is a "sailor" (save the poor sods with motor boats) and no one cares a fig. Moreover, whenever two boats are headed in the same direction, both are usually "racers". I have yet to meet the sailor/cruiser that does not trim his sails a tad to try to best his/her unwitting competition, all the while trying to look nonchalant about the affair. (I/we have a great advantage in that department as we have a very fast boat, regardless of how poorly we may trim her from time to time, so we can casually by-pass most of our unknowing competitors, which gives us a chuckle and at least some of them fits as they uselessly fine trim to pinch a few more tenths of a knot out of their aging sails.) Once one reaches an anchorage, or the marina, and settles in for sun-downers, or "moon shots" for late arrivals, we're all sailors, no?

FWIW...
Yes, we are all sailors but you aren't really a racer until you line up against 20-50 boats that are exactly like the one you are sailing. (one design)

Then you will know how good your sail trim is, course side selection, boat setup, etc is as compared to your peers
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 17:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yes, we are all sailors but you aren't really a racer until you line up against 20-50 boats that are exactly like the one you are sailing. (one design)

Then you will know how good your sail trim is, course side selection, boat setup, etc is as compared to your peers
Yes, one design racing is great but it takes the cruiser out of the boat. Sorta like IMOCA racing, great boats to race but not cruise. A different sport altogether.
Old 13-12-2016, 17:45   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

A good sailor knows when to turn on the engine.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 17:49   #29

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Yes, one design racing is great but it takes the cruiser out of the boat. Sorta like IMOCA racing, great boats to race but not cruise. A different sport altogether.
Humm, cruising is not a sport. Sailing is. IMOCA are not one design boats, Volvo racers are (the last ones).
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 17:58   #30

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
I think there is a big difference between cruisers and sailors. Cruisers sail to get from point A to B. Sailors sail for the pure enjoyment of sailing. There may be some who are both. Live-aboards are a totally different breed.
I think you are way off in your labeling of people. For starters, you've assumed that everyone has a sailboat when not everyone who cruises does.

I cruise in a trawler, I don't "sail". I don't cruise to get from point A to point B. I may have a destination when I cruise but it's only a place to turn around and come back home. It's as far as I am going on that particular cruise and even that may not be set in stone. I'll stop at different towns and anchorages along the way. So really, the cruise is the destination.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail