Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 08:25   #16

Boat: Toy boat
Re: Cruiser unfriendly? You betcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I recall when an isolated tribe that spoke some unknown dialect of Tagalog was discovered in the 1970s. Now that dialect is incorporated onto lists of languages available for translation on computer software.

They should just drop a couple coke bottles on the island. That's a movie reference.
I understood that reference...
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 09:16   #17

What the heck was that movie anyway.?. cant remember...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 09:36   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"The Gods Must be Crazy".
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 09:38   #19

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The Gods Must Be Crazy

The Gods Must Be Crazy - Ask.com Encyclopedia
Old 20-11-2013, 10:53   #20

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Just as a side note my siblings/mother and i were raised by a Bushman or San man. He was taken in by my grandfather as a young boy in Africa back in the day.
He sure took no lip from us kids and was deadly accurate with a ''lat'' or cane, many a time I felt the sting of it to educate me on the error of my ways
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 04:58   #21

Boat: Tartan 4100

What??? A life without having to pay income tax??? This tribe must be doing something wrong!
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 21:21   #22

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

It is only about 5 nmiles x5nmiles in size, but so close to the main islands, which are well developed. less than 20 to the nearest and then protected to the settlements. Amazing that they have remained so distinct for so long.

I guess that any contact would see them disappear as they would have no resistance to any of our common germs. I wonder why they are so fierce to outsiders? Learnt behaviour or a cultural trait!
Old 26-11-2013, 21:45   #23

I would like to think they are "so fierce" because they are smart!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 23:58   #24

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
It is only about 5 nmiles x5nmiles in size, but so close to the main islands, which are well developed. less than 20 to the nearest and then protected to the settlements. Amazing that they have remained so distinct for so long.

I guess that any contact would see them disappear as they would have no resistance to any of our common germs. I wonder why they are so fierce to outsiders? Learnt behaviour or a cultural trait!
I've followed (loosely, from afar) the Andamese people and it is a sad history.
I've been trying to find a link that I have on another hard drive with no luck yet. It is a website run by a German ( I think) scientist that is the most authoritative source of information on these aboriginal peoples (Sentinelese,Jarawa, Onge, Great Andamanese) on the web, full of studies and history. He has studied them for a very long time, if anyone finds that website please post it.

There is another one that is pretty useful: Jarawa - Survival International which summarizes the Andamans fairly well. There's a famous picture there of a Sentinelese tribesman firing arrows at a recon helicopter after the 2004 tsunami.

It's the usual story, exploitation, disease, loss of land and culture. Except for the Sentinelese to some degree, who have done their best to avoid contact, and have been pretty well left alone on their little island (they have killed those who venture too close).
On that website I can't find is an amusing (sort of, not too severe injuries resulted) account of an attempt to contact them. The Jarawa and the others, living on the main island, have not fared so well.
The Indian government policies haven't been very good for them (nor the Brits before them).
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 00:06   #25

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
What??? A life without having to pay income tax??? This tribe must be doing something wrong!
Income tax is nothing when you think about all the suffering they have to go through not being able to own/use iPhone! Their life must be really unbearable and people of good will of the whole world must do something about it.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 02:37   #26
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Do you have to declare your firearms on arrival?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 05:33   #27

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Yip but Bows and arrows are fine!
Old 27-11-2013, 14:30   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I think the UN aught to come out with a prime directive that states you cannot interact with these tribes unless:
1. You are completely free from any diseases, even the common cold may be deadly to these tribes...
2. You dress up like they are
3. you use no technology that is superior to what they use.
In other words- you want to interact with these people get your bows and arrows (made from local material- just like theirs) and strip down to your loin clothes before seeing a local doctor for clearance.
Didn't any of you see Star Trek?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 15:09   #29

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've been reading a book about Capt. Cook's voyage, and now this. I have mixed feelings. Cook bought Western disease and exploitation to a number of "paradise" South Sea islands. But what if he hadn't? Wouldn't some other nation have done the same?

It bothers me when an old building is torn down. It bothers me to see a "native" culture overrun by modernity.

But is it fair to deny them the progress humans have made? With the possible exception of the iPhone, there are a lot of good things we've developed. Better nutrition, longer lives, lower infant mortality, ways to interact with and learn about other cultures. Options and opportunities for thinkers, artists, craftsmen and just about every talent imaginable. Things that just aren't available in ultra-primitive cultures. All those talents remain unused.

If they know all this, and make the informed choice to live a simpler life, then they certainly have that right. But do we have a duty to offer them that choice?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 15:57   #30
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've been reading a book about Capt. Cook's voyage, and now this. I have mixed feelings. Cook bought Western disease and exploitation to a number of "paradise" South Sea islands. But what if he hadn't? Wouldn't some other nation have done the same?

It bothers me when an old building is torn down. It bothers me to see a "native" culture overrun by modernity.

But is it fair to deny them the progress humans have made? With the possible exception of the iPhone, there are a lot of good things we've developed. Better nutrition, longer lives, lower infant mortality, ways to interact with and learn about other cultures. Options and opportunities for thinkers, artists, craftsmen and just about every talent imaginable. Things that just aren't available in ultra-primitive cultures. All those talents remain unused.

If they know all this, and make the informed choice to live a simpler life, then they certainly have that right. But do we have a duty to offer them that choice?
Interesting points you make.
At one time, the popular view was that "we" had a duty to offer them salvation (ie religion) and most today say that didn't work out so well. Now "we" have a duty to offer them a choice between "progress and primitive".

Again who is to say if that will work out but I suspect not.

I suppose it boils down to the simple small questions about life like "what is the purpose of my life & what is the purpose of their life".

No easy answers so I go sailing instead of wrestling with a difficult answer and they do whatever they do...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser