Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which are you? A Cruiser or a Sailor?
Sailor Who Cruises? 6 26.09%
Cruiser Who Sails? 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 08:17   #16

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Air View Post
lost...

After reviewing the other inputs.... I have to say I like this one the Best

If you were not a "sailor" meaning a skilled one... you Would probably be lost!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:04   #17

This is largely a word puzzle but it raises the notion that a sailboat is used for many types of "sailing". Cruising, I assume is meant to mean someone who travels by sea to various destinations, probably with a sailboat (could be sailing, motor sailing or under power) and that is the main reason purpose of their sailing. Of course it's not JUST the destination is how you get there and that you are always on the water, ie you spend days and nights on your boat.

Most people are "reality constrained" even if they identify as true cruisers, they live ashore and only get to "cruise" on the weekends and vacations where they DO live aboard.

I don't know the point of the poll as I can't imagine any cruiser who DOESN'T like sailing. But I suppose there are the racers who could care less about cruising and accommodations and only want to sail a sport and go home at the end of the race. Cruisers seem to think of the boat AS their home.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 14:39   #18

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
sailor, not a cruiser, definitely not a voyager.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 16:22   #19

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I've been sailing for over thirty years; cruising for about six. Guess that makes me a sailor that cruises.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 17:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
I don't know the point of the poll as I can't imagine any cruiser who DOESN'T like sailing.
Here is one "Cruiser" who has been out on a circumnavigation for 5 years and still could really care less for sailing. She just learns to "put up with" the passages - but doesn't look forward to them. Chris, the soon to be papa of her child, was an avid sailor. KT, was an avid admirer of Chris! lol Just goes to the point that many people end up doing some of the same things - but for wildly different reasons. I once dated an Opera singer, but HATE opera! lol

S/V Billabong Blog
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 18:05   #21

Boat: 17' Thistle and 13' Catboat
Sometimes I'm a cruiser, sometimes a sailor. My 'center of gravity' changes with the wind, the weather, the company, my mood, etc.
htraudes is offline   Reply With Quote