Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 09:43   #46

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Crossing the Strait of Georgia in a Dinghy

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but if you miss slack water through Porlier, there are beaches at Dionisio Point where you could land a dinghy and wait ... may have to wait half the night though if you're really late due to paddling across in calms.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:29   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Sounds like fun - Sounds like you are doing your research - sounds like you will choose the weather to suite success.

If you want to mitigate some (more) of the risks then you can arrange for a chase boat.

Barring a full blown chase boat then you can make some arrangement with boats on either side of the Straights to come get you if things go sideways. Give them a call every half hour with a position...
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 13:50   #48

Jim Cate's post set me to worrying about whether I'm all wet regarding dinghy speeds :-)

Here is a cut'n'paste from a dingy sailing forum:

"Just been reading an old book about dinghy racing, and it refers to a Jollyboat being timed at over 17 knots at (I think) Edgbaston Reservoir in the '50s or '60s."

FWIW, I used to live near the Edgbaston Reservoir in those years. Here is a reply to that post from an apparently experienced and successful dinghy sailor:

"I know of no boats that have been timed properly over a 500m course, which is what counts. Lots of people make lots of noise, mostly based around rough estimates or maybe peak speeds under GPS.

The very fastest boats are going to be those that combine modern hull shapes and very light weight with moderate sail area, because dinghies are not efficient enough to achieve high wind speed/boat speed ratios, so its going to take a fair bit of wind. If you've got very big rags you just aren't going to be able to carry anough apparent to get a decent speed in 25knots plus.

That could mean that the boats capable of the highest top speed are not what you might expect. My guess would be that Cherubs and 29ers have got to be in the frame. I reckon that the sails on the 14s and 49er are just too big for really high speed in a lot of wind, no matter how fast they are in the moderate stuff.

My guesstimate is that a 500m average figure in the low 20s ought to be achievable fairly readily, but I don't know how much higher. Its so dependant on wind and wave condtions though."

Back in the late 50s and in the 60s, Jack Holt's Enterprise dinghy was the hottest thing on the water. It was designed in 1956. The V15 is much more recent although now superseded. I have no doubt it's faster than the Enterprise. So, Cameron, since you are going to be able to take your coordinates as you depart the bell buoy, is there any way you can note them and also your running time from there to the entrance to Porlier? That's the kind of bits of data I love to carry around in my head ;-0)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 04:45   #49

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
My guesstimate is that a 500m average figure in the low 20s ought to be achievable fairly readily, but I don't know how much higher. Its so dependant on wind and wave condtions though."
Low 20s?

500m in 20 seconds would require a speed of about 50 knots.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 05:57   #50

"20s" does not mean "20 seconds". It means "a speed in knots in the low 20s, something between 20 and 25 knots". I too believe that that is possible, but as I say, it's been half a century. Back then the Flying Dutchman was the 2-man Olympic class. I'd have to go back and check the records, but those things were fearsomely fast.

Here is a clip of an FD allegedly at 25 knots. Look at the sea state. Quite similar to many a day in the straits. If you have intestinal fortitude and the athleticism to do it [I wouldn't have :-)] you'd be about 3/4 hour from bell buoy to Porlier :-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 14:37   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Conflating max speeds obtained briefly under optimum conditions with a race-trimmed dinghy and average passage speeds with a boat loaded with extra gear (all the stuff we've been telling the OP that he must take along) is naive IMO!

From where we are currently anchored I can watch a pair of 49er dinks out practicing, complete with a coach in a RIB shouting at them. I'd guess they are top rank sailors, prepping for some big event(s). At times they go very fast, but most of the time not so much... and this is in flat water.

Point is that the OP needs to plan for less than best conditions in his timing. I'm sure that he knows pretty well what sort of wind vs speed numbers to use, and will take a conservative set for his plans... he seems a level headed sort from what he has written!

Jim
Old 22-05-2019, 17:17   #52

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
"20s" does not mean "20 seconds". It means "a speed in knots in the low 20s, something between 20 and 25 knots".
I see. Normally when referring to a distance, the time to cover that distance determines the SMG. If talking about speed alone, there is no need to reference a distance - it's irrelevant.

I wonder how they reckoned the speed in the video you posted? To me, it doesn't seem to be that fast, but it's hard to gauge from the video perspective - being closer to the water often makes it feel a lot faster than it is.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 19:35   #53

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Been following the discussion and it sounds like an ambitious great trip. And sounds well planned. The plume referenced us for the Crofton pulp mill on Vancouver Island. Very consistent.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 07:01   #54

Hi, several key points that I did not see included. What sort of dinghy RIB or otherwise, Length, HP of outboard, whether there is a second outboard, steering position. Anything else? oh yeah, extra fuel.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 08:05   #55

Sounds like you have done your home work and are well prepared Cameron. Have a great! time.
My usual experiences on the straits in the summer is diminishing wind as the day progresses. Motoring to my destination. You might time your crossing to a shift in the weather pattern for consistant wind all day. Hopefully not to strong for a boisterous sail across.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 08:08   #56

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
I just went through that pass. The commercial traffic is heavy at slack and it moves fast in Some instances. A big tug passed me fulltilt I turned into his wake and buried my bow in a 30 footer twice.
Thats funny, 30' wake from a tug. Seems common these days to double the wind speed and add a zero to wave height.
But it does bring a chuckle!
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 08:45   #57

Haven’t done it. For the sake of us all, I’ll expect a moderately detailed description of the adventure after it occurs. The best of good fortune to you both.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 08:50   #58

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
Thats funny, 30' wake from a tug. Seems common these days to double the wind speed and add a zero to wave height.
But it does bring a chuckle!
Speaking of chuckles, I'm pretty sure he meant he was in a 30' boat, not 30' waves...
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 08:53   #59

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Honestly, I think it's a bad idea. I don't know how fast a V15 actually sails, but I'm guessing the wind needed to plane will equate with a pretty good chop on the Strait. I'd be amazed if you could get across in less than 9 hours. Doing this in open waters without a safety/support boat is foolish IMHO.
Sounds like you'd enjoy the Race 2 Alaska. Their boat's a cruise ship compared to some of the craft that compete (and complete!) in that race.
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 12:43   #60

Sounds like you appreciate the conditions and risks and are prepared. Go for it.

I have some experience in this sort of thing: Cruising Gulf Islands and blasting into Haro Strait in gales in my Hobie 16 and Fireball. Many extensive sea kayaking trips, longest around Van Isle. Many 14' tinnie trips, longest Van to Port Hardy camping on shore and docks (funniest comment on a dock full of trawler yachts...." where's your boat?" assuming the tinnie was the tender), power and sailboats (a couple of offshores and longest coastal trip being a recent around Haida Gwaii using a friends broken down Alberg 30 that I helped him get back in the water). Anyway, the only tips I would add are:
- If you arrive at Porlier at ebb, raise the board and chicken-shoot an edge riding the eddy line. Standard kayak tactic. This avoids the whirlpools and standing waves in the main current.
- If you arrive at Porlier on flood, raise board, attach long line to bow and stern, choose best shore, walk on shore pulling boat next to shore angled slightly out into the current to keep boat away from shore. Standard river canoe technique called "lining upstream". Can be tough on a rough shore, but better than waiting 6 hours. Bring footwear.
- Bring a cel phone in waterproof case to augment VHF. DSC is better but I would not sweat it.
- Borrow a SPOT if you can. Your mother/girlfriend can get some assurance that you are on track. Lovely tech to keep significant others from fretting by giving them a bread crumb trail. I do this for my wife when I am out doing something stupid, which I still do on occasion at 70 years of age.
- Be prepared for calm. Paddling is ok. Rowing is MUCH better. I had rigged a simple rowing rig in to my Fireball back in the 70's when I was young and strong and it made dinghy cruising practical.
- Bring lots of food and water and a battery powered dinghy nav light just in case you are caught out at night.
- Don't worry about the marine traffic during the day, it is actually easy to avoid if you see it. Night time would be a worry though.
- Navigation is trivial. You will see the Nanaimo ferry to your north, the Victoria ferry to your south and the Crofton plume behind Porlier. A couple of compass checks and Navionics course confirmations and you will be fine.
- Radar reflector...good question. They don't work well so may be of dubious value. You are unlikely to go out if fog is forecast. But, it might help if you are caught out at night. For that case, borrow a folding reflector and before you go, rig a small halyard off a shroud. Just a ring lashed to a shroud with a paracord line for a halyard.

Wish I was young again.

Have fun.
Grey Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, georgia