Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2020, 09:04   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Crossing the Gulf of Mexico - specific scenario

Hey all - there are several threads about this on the forum, but all of them eventually devolve into very general advice about cruising the gulf coast for pleasure.

I've got a specific scenario and I'm looking for real world experience.

Scenario: Crossing the Gulf of Mexico - IN MAY 2021 - going around Florida into the Atlantic, and sailing to Maryland before the start of the 2021 hurricane season.

Starting port: Kemah, Texas

Crew: Me, My wife, and we HOPE to add two more friends with sailing experience, but let's assume there will definitely be at least 3 aboard with sailing experience. I have years of experience sailing, my wife will have a good bit and several ASA classes done by then, and the third crew we have in mind has actually worked boat deliveries before. We are FINE with idea of multi-day passages away from land.

NO ICW as I want to do it in reasonable time and this is not a pleasure cruise, AND My boat isn't ICW friendly...

Mast height: 54ft.
Draft: 5'7"

So - for those with Gulf experience, what's the route you'd take to get that boat to MD? Thanks !
tradrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 16:28   #2

Re: Crossing the Gulf of Mexico - specific scenario

May is good but I would keep it moving summer in south florida is miserable. Ft meyers if you need to experience the hokeypokey waterway but I prefer going through the keys and coming out at channel 5 Long key. Get out in the gulf stream and get north as well as you can. There is nothing redeeming about south florida
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 18:08   #3

Florida would be nothing but a rest and re-provision break. Maryland is the final destination.
Old 21-08-2020, 19:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

IMHO- As a delivery guy, this is an unsolvable problem. Routing depends on the wind forecast. On long crossing the forecast will change. The smart way to route is to download the current GRIB ahead of time and download updated wind GRIBs.

If you want general direction you can look at the pilot charts. But actual routing will depend on what happening when you go.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 19:46   #5

The Gulf LOOP Current is always a big factor in sailing in the Gulf of Mexico. It varies a lot both in strength and location and direction so yo need updates from good sources. I would want to get to marathon as you cant cross FL thru Okeechobee as mast too high. Refuel-replenish at marathon then just go sit in Stream for a week to Norfolk/MD Chesapeake. It will be worse weather/comfort there than Florida in summertime late.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 20:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Refuel-replenish at marathon then just go sit in Stream for a week to Norfolk/MD Chesapeake. It will be worse weather/comfort there than Florida in summertime late.

That is definitely the plan once we get around the Keys.

But I swear, the lack of, "In May, the typical weather and currents send sailors from Galveston towards "point A" and then to "point B" etc" is crazy scarce.

I heard from another Tayana owner that they have gone Galveston - Mississippi river - Marathon. So that's the first time somebody told me a specific route they have taken.
Old 22-08-2020, 03:35   #7

Pilot chart clip for month of May showing prevailing winds to be mostly light to medium, and mostly from E-SE quadrant. Heading east towards LA would improve angle, but landfall may be Key West. Really depends on actual conditions at departure.

Pilot charts are pretty useful for initial planing phase.

https://msi.nga.mil/Publications/APCClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200822-062717.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	221741
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 04:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
That is definitely the plan once we get around the Keys.

But I swear, the lack of, "In May, the typical weather and currents send sailors from Galveston towards "point A" and then to "point B" etc" is crazy scarce.

I heard from another Tayana owner that they have gone Galveston - Mississippi river - Marathon. So that's the first time somebody told me a specific route they have taken.
Getting a boat that draws 5’7” from the GOM to Marathon is going to be tight. I have found Navionics to give the best data, but even then some visual navigation is needed.

There are two long crossings. You can take a guess at routing, by doing what others have done. Or do what the better pros do- use satellite weather. The latter let’s you route around bad weather, and travel as efficiently as possible. My tracks usually do not follow what I though was the best route when I planned the job. But invariably, they take less days than planned.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 05:04   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We just did this crossing in December.

Our route was out Galveston on a cold front, then make as much easting as possible with the wind we had. Unfortunately the wind died and we chose our destination based on fuel range (Tampa).

The previous time we did the gulf crossing in late April we motored the ICW to the Mississippi River so we’d have a favorable wind angle to Isla Mujeres.

You’ll just need to get 5-7 day gribs the day before departure and see if there’s a more favorable tack for your easting.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 05:24   #10

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

In late April or early May, the cold fronts are not as strong and you will be able to let West and NW winds push you across the Gulf to Venice FL, where there is an easy in/out for fuel just inside the jetty. After the cold front passes, winds return to NE, then E and SE so you can follow the coast nearly due south to Key West. From KW, ride both the SE winds and gulf stream all the way north
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 06:53   #11

Thanks for all the replies so far. I appreciate it.

Some responses:

1. I have the pilot charts, know how to read them, and will use them, you can be assured of that.

2. Ultimately, the winds and weather from GRIBS will be the determining factor, of course, but I was hoping for - and many of the responses have been, so thanks again - routing for the common conditions of early May.
Old 22-08-2020, 06:58   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

I went across the GOM last Oct to Marathon. It is like any crossing, you go with the wind and change plans as needed.

BTW - The OP can most definitely do a lot of the ICW. I had no problems in the sections I did with a 6'4" draft and 58.5' mast height. Sometimes (well lots of times) it is just the best way to "get there".
Old 22-08-2020, 09:01   #13

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
So - for those with Gulf experience, what's the route you'd take to get that boat to MD? Thanks !
I have made this trip and I found the best was to lay a heading for the Dry Tortugas but hold a bit more easterly as you get out of Galveston for a day then back on course for the tortugas, keeps you clear of most of the rigs. Then Key west, then Hawk Channel till about Alligator reef, then out into the middle of the stream and ride it north.

Have a good trip.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 11:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I have made this trip and I found the best was to lay a heading for the Dry Tortugas but hold a bit more easterly as you get out of Galveston for a day then back on course for the tortugas, keeps you clear of most of the rigs. Then Key west, then Hawk Channel till about Alligator reef, then out into the middle of the stream and ride it north.

Have a good trip.

M
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Old 22-08-2020, 11:28   #15

Boat: Island Packet 350

All of these reply’s have good points. I will just add we sailed from Corpus Christi to Tampa Bay in early May about 4-years-ago and the weather was great. May is a good time to cross.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico