Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2015, 06:40   #1

Boat: solaris 42 1978
crossing the carribean

i am currently in panama city panama and need to be in san juan puerto rico when i leave is not important that i get there is ! crossing the canal is not a problem as i have done that as a line handler and have enough contacts here that i can handle that. the only thing i know from what research i have done is the hurricane season ends mid November? i have read a great blog about travels from cartegenia to panama back and forth but north from there seems to present a problem? i have a large cat " 42 solaris" does not do well up wind . i carry enough fuel to motor 500 plus miles in an " average sea " .i looked at san andres islands as first leg . on to jamaica second leg then to dominican republic ,, on to puerto rico ?? i have been told by a close friend that has sailed the carribean that what i ask is " impossible " ? any input as to alternate routes ??? advice as to the route i want to take ,, any and all advice is greatly appreciated ..
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 07:06   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: crossing the carribean

Panama to San Andreas is certainly do able (especially with plenty of range under power), though Cartagena gives you a better wind angle, but after that getting to Jamaica/DR takes you much harder to windward. It is a common route to loop further West thru the NW Carib and then easterly over Cuba. You might take a look at that as an option.

colemj, another member here, recently sailed Panama to Jamaica, but the windward performance of his Manta is likely better than the Solaris.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 08:04   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We did a lot of motor sailing and waiting for most favorable wind direction before leaving. To make matters worse on this trip, there is a west-flowing current most of the way. Up to 2kts of it. We were doing this at the same time as a J-40 (good upwind boat) who was predominantly sailing only. They started 100nm East of us and were 100nm West of us just south of Jamaica. I think leaving from Cartagena would give one the best chance of a low-fuel use trip because the winds would be more E rather than NE. Once past the windward passage, the trip is downhill, although one may run into cold fronts if starting too late.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 11:00   #4

Boat: solaris 42 1978

ok so you are saying skip san andres islands start at cartegenia or possibly ? santa marta and sail north east ?? that looks like a long haul ? well over 700 miles ? yes .. there are many good blogs about the trip to cartegenia so that leg does not look like a problem ..
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 15:43   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Sorry, I overlooked the PR part and thought you were heading for FL.

For PR, it doesn't really matter where you leave from - it will suck regardless.

You might consider going to Cartagena and heading for south coast of Haiti/DR and get in the lee. From there, do a Van Sant day hop thing over to PR. I think Frank Virgio has a guide for this.

Getting to Cartagena is no piece of cake weather-wise. Pick your weather or travel through the San Blas and across to the Colombian islands Northeastward and it can be OK.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib