Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2021, 07:19   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Milton Keynes
Boat: Dufour 430
Posts: 5
Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

Hi all,

We are moving our boat from mainland Spain (Denia) next year to Sardinia (Cagliari). We plan to get the boat to Menorca (Mahon) and then leave her there for a few weeks, then return and do the crossing over to Sardinia. This is our first ever big non-stop passage so my partner is a little nervous. We plan to leave Mahon and go straight to Carloforte into a marina for some R&R and then a day or two later do the final leg from Carloforte into Cagliari.

We have a Dufour 430 sailing boat and she's a pretty quick cruiser. I'm just trying to think of everything ahead of time so we are as best prepared as possible. What do we think to the weather around mid-May in this area? Any other wisdom you can impart on me?

Many thanks in advance,
Simon
dune16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:02   #2
Registered User
 
12 sail away's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: SOLD 43 ft sailing boat
Posts: 25
Images: 1
Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

Hi Simon,

Normally May is a beautiful time in the Med. I ll go there again coming year as well (Sardinia/Elba). Google West Coast sea side of Sardinia and show your wife...Convinced to step aboard...
12 sail away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:21   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Milton Keynes
Boat: Dufour 430
Posts: 5
Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 sail away View Post
Hi Simon,

Normally May is a beautiful time in the Med. I ll go there again coming year as well (Sardinia/Elba). Google West Coast sea side of Sardinia and show your wife...Convinced to step aboard...
Oh, she's coming along, just doesn't like the sound of such a long passage with no option to stop somewhere along the way
dune16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:29   #4
Deep Water Deliveries
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 27,945
Images: 2
pirate Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

It's a pretty straightforward hop and you may even find yourself motoring a bit..
Personally I prefer Alghero over Cagliari even though I did enjoy my times there..
__________________


Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:40   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Milton Keynes
Boat: Dufour 430
Posts: 5
Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It's a pretty straightforward hop and you may even find yourself motoring a bit..
Personally I prefer Alghero over Cagliari even though I did enjoy my times there..
Yes, we did consider Alghero but were concerned about swell over winter in the marinas. We will be going into Portus Karalis for the year.

Hopefully we will get some good sailing in over the crossing but if we aren't keeping good pace I think the pressure will be on by my lady to use some engine assistance 😂
dune16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:32   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

Hi
Another great place to leave boat in/out of water is at Nautica Pinna in Bosa,just south of Alghero.
Great service and pricing.We left our sailboat there 2 winters, and it's a very protected harbour .

Marc
Nelson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:42   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Milton Keynes
Boat: Dufour 430
Posts: 5
Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson01 View Post
Hi
Another great place to leave boat in/out of water is at Nautica Pinna in Bosa,just south of Alghero.
Great service and pricing.We left our sailboat there 2 winters, and it's a very protected harbour .

Marc
Thanks Marc, maybe that's for the 2nd season 👍
dune16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:20   #8
Registered User
 
bobnlesley's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Posts: 767
Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dune16 View Post
Hi all,

What do we think to the weather around mid-May in this area? Any other wisdom you can impart on me?

Simon
I'd say the weather ought to be about optimum, spring gales finished, before the heat-induced localised squalls of mid-summer; if you check the forecasts before departure, then as blueboatman says, you're more likely to encounter too little wind rather than too much; in many respects that's a good choice for your first long/offshore passage.

Other wisdom: Don't forget to enjoy the passage, that's important and so is keeping an eye on your course. Once you're clear of Mahon harbour (even before), then aiming east is a good choice, a touch south of east is perhaps an even better one; but definitely no west in it, west would not be so good for Carloforte and Cagliari.

PS Enjoy it!
__________________
I chose the road less travelled, now where the hell am I?
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:47   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 596
Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

Do keep an eye on the weather forecast. I have done it the other way and got caught in a Mistral.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:57   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ranieri/Bari, S. Italy
Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Posts: 562
Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

It is a relatively short hop so no problems but watch out for the mistral. Wait for it to pass and then go one day later after the swell has died down. I made the mistake of thinking i could out-run it from Mahon to Carloforte but the forecast had under-estimated the speed of the developing mistral. No prblm, we managed OK but it was a bit more challenging than i had anticipated. Think most ladies might have found it unpleasant unless they were hardened sailors

One trick to calm the nerves of the admiral is to have the engine running even though you might not need it, although it would obviously help with charging the batteries.

Carloforte is much nicer than Cagliari. Before going into the carloforte marina (10% discount for CA members) i would suggest you stop in the sandy bay Caletta, about 6 nm to W of carloforte. Well protected from most directions except W or SW. You might like it so much that you delay your 6 nm around the corner to Carloforte.

I see you have a Dufor 43. I have a Jeanneau 43ds and hv 2m draft which i guess is the same as yours and decided not to pick up fuel at the fuel quay in carloforte because i was not convinced there was sufficient depth. It is a short hop 3nm E to Calasetta/S. Antioco where there is a good fuel quay w plenty of depth. While you are in Carloforte there are a couple of excellent restuarants which celebate the history of tuna fishing in the region. My favourite is osteria della Tonnara, also known as Ristorante da Andrea. You could have a 9 course meal of tuna whith each course being a different preparation of a different part of the tuna.

As an alternative if you chicken out for the distance you could stop at Fertilia/Alghero and go to marina Usai which is located a little way up a river and better protected than Alghero (and cheaper). Fertilia is not a very beautiful place but it it is well protected and practical. Direct bus to Alghero airport.
hv a good trip
Andrew
__________________
SaltyMetals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:30   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Milton Keynes
Boat: Dufour 430
Posts: 5
Re: Crossing from Menorca to Sardinia in May next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
It is a relatively short hop so no problems but watch out for the mistral. Wait for it to pass and then go one day later after the swell has died down. I made the mistake of thinking i could out-run it from Mahon to Carloforte but the forecast had under-estimated the speed of the developing mistral. No prblm, we managed OK but it was a bit more challenging than i had anticipated. Think most ladies might have found it unpleasant unless they were hardened sailors

One trick to calm the nerves of the admiral is to have the engine running even though you might not need it, although it would obviously help with charging the batteries.

Carloforte is much nicer than Cagliari. Before going into the carloforte marina (10% discount for CA members) i would suggest you stop in the sandy bay Caletta, about 6 nm to W of carloforte. Well protected from most directions except W or SW. You might like it so much that you delay your 6 nm around the corner to Carloforte.

I see you have a Dufor 43. I have a Jeanneau 43ds and hv 2m draft which i guess is the same as yours and decided not to pick up fuel at the fuel quay in carloforte because i was not convinced there was sufficient depth. It is a short hop 3nm E to Calasetta/S. Antioco where there is a good fuel quay w plenty of depth. While you are in Carloforte there are a couple of excellent restuarants which celebate the history of tuna fishing in the region. My favourite is osteria della Tonnara, also known as Ristorante da Andrea. You could have a 9 course meal of tuna whith each course being a different preparation of a different part of the tuna.

As an alternative if you chicken out for the distance you could stop at Fertilia/Alghero and go to marina Usai which is located a little way up a river and better protected than Alghero (and cheaper). Fertilia is not a very beautiful place but it it is well protected and practical. Direct bus to Alghero airport.
hv a good trip
Andrew
Many thanks
dune16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lagoon (?) on the rocks near Menorca mglonnro Emergency, Disaster and Distress 24 29-11-2019 08:49
Filovent Charter : Barcelona to Menorca katakuri Europe & Mediterranean 0 24-05-2018 06:12
Route Suggestions: Menorca to Corfu AFKASAP General Sailing Forum 1 04-07-2016 02:16
Recommended marinas in Menorca and/or Majorca Graeme1303 Europe & Mediterranean 4 29-05-2015 13:36
has anyone been to menorca lately ? jupiow General Sailing Forum 0 04-10-2013 07:59

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.