Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2013, 22:03   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Crossing Atlantic - Time Frame

Going from say Rhode Island to Bermuda, then to the Azores, and then to Italy... what are the estimated time frames for each hop of that journey, using a 45 ft. cruising sailboat as an example?

Thanks so much,

Dave
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 05:50   #2

Re: Crossing Atlantic - Time Frame

How fast do you normally sail? This is a pretty simple navigational question. Distance divided by velocity equals time.

If you're starting from Rhode Island, you have to go pretty far south to get to Bermuda, so I'm not sure I'd even do it that way.

Still, typical times might be a week to Bermuda and two weeks from there to the Azores. But of course it will depend on the wind, the weather, your boat, your crew, your sailing abilities, and a hundred other variables.

From Bermuda, going directly to Italy without making any stops along the way makes even less sense than going all the way south to Bermuda. You are passing Gibraltar, the Balearics, Sardinia, and so on. Surely you would make a stop SOMEWHERE along the way!

I have to say that I hope this is an academic question. I honestly don't wish to offend, but anyone who is even remotely ready to make a journey like this should know how to figure this out for themselves quite easily.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 05:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

mmmm . . . . .about 4700nm at 135nm/day = 35 sailing days. Add about 30 days for 'shore time', and you have about 10 weeks total.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 06:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crossing Atlantic - Time Frame

Calculate the SOG at 100MPD average... anything better is a bonus... if you like to baby the boat..
If you don't give a crap then hammer her and get there quicker..
I'd skip Bermuda unless its to actually spend time there.. why venture through where 2 currents meet if you don't have to...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 06:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have to say that I hope this is an academic question. I honestly don't wish to offend, but anyone who is even remotely ready to make a journey like this should know how to figure this out for themselves quite easily.
Have to agree. DDabs are you just daydreaming about such a trip? This really is such basic navigation that one has to wonder why it is asked.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 06:54   #6

Boat: Northstar 8020

I like this question and believe it worthy. I do not know the answer but hope to eventually learn the answer. The question reminds me of just ANOTHER thing I NEED to learn and yeah I take all those damn navigation courses. This stuff puts some perspective on that stuff.
Igotnuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 07:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnuthin View Post
I like this question and believe it worthy. I do not know the answer but hope to eventually learn the answer. The question reminds me of just ANOTHER thing I NEED to learn and yeah I take all those damn navigation courses. This stuff puts some perspective on that stuff.
Well, a couple of very good answers posted. My experience is similar to Boatman61. Average cruising for the average cruiser and average boat you can ball park 100 miles per day. Bigger boats, racers, boats with lots of fuel that crank up every time the speed drops a bit or good trade wind sailing, etc you can do better but for rough planning the 100 miles is a good starting point.

So Nav101. Get a small scale chart that shows the whole north Atlantic Ocean. Get a set of dividers and step off the distance to where you want to go. Divide by 100 miles and you get how many days to get there. Easy to figure.

To measure the miles take your dividers to the side of the chart, the latitude scale, and set them to a convenient distance, like one degree or 30 minutes (1/2 of a degree). Use the scale directly to the side of the area where you want to measure the mileage. One degree of latitude is equal to 60 nautical miles. One nautical mile is 6076 ft or 1.15 statute (land) miles.

Now you're ready to go!
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 07:47   #8

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Rhode Island to Italy....via Azores. Firstly forget Bermuda.
20 days to Azores, 8 days Gibraltar, 5 days Mallorca, 5 days Italy.
We have that on or web page...
Old 24-07-2013, 08:16   #9

Eric Forsyth just did Block Island - Azores in 15 days in a Westsail 42. Read about it here:

Fiona News Network - YachtFiona.com Sailing Cruising Yacht
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 08:20   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

The leg to the EU from the Azores can sometimes be pretty wind-less. But it is a short leg and you can motor when winds do not co-op. 5-10 days depending on wind conditions (Miguel to Lisboa)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 08:39   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
It always makes me nervous when I see a question like this. An ocean chart gives you almost all info you need to figure it out. Only thing you are missing is wind and currents for the time of year you plan to leave and that you should be able to find. Sailing you need to be independent thinker.
With that said 5 to seven days to Bermuda; but why Bermuda? Then from there to the Azores 14 days or do then another 12 to 16 to Italy. All boats are different and people will tell you you can make mega miles a day but when all is said and done you will be flying at 110 a day,

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 09:50   #12

Boat: Cape Dory

Great question! You have to start somewhere. I think there is an awful lot more to it than simply looking at a chart.

This is a good read: Atlantic Crossings: A Sailor's Guide to Europe and Beyond: Les Weatheritt: 9781574092318: Amazon.com: Books

He discusses the pros and cons of the various routes and stops (generally the southern routes -- through Bermuda have less heavy weather and more windless days). Also check out Street's CW article from a year or two ago about the northern route (the shortest / fastest).
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:45   #13

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just daydreaming, and thought I'd do it the American way and start a thread instead of even trying to figure it out myself

Thanks Mambo, I'll have to pick up a copy.

This is the route I keep dreaming of in my head. Cheers
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote