Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 03:09   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Crocodiles in the Kimberley

'tis the land of the killer jellyfish as well
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 11:43   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

And please don't forget the Blue Ring Octopus or the Drop Bears...

Jim
Old 27-11-2014, 13:02   #18

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I was told recently that an hilarious article existed in wikipedia about drop bears. But it seems someone has realised what it's all about. Damn!
Drop bear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 13:11   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I thought that Drop bears only attacked people who were drinking Bundaberg rum. Mind you, if I had to drink Bundy rum (the rum part being a misnomer, it is vaguely reminiscent of real rum) I would probably welcome the attack as a better option to drinking the near flavourless perfumed substance.

Coops.
Old 27-11-2014, 14:05   #20

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Winf, may be it was an extraordinary event, but earlier this year a poor sole was taken by a croc from a boat, on the ( infamous) Mary River I think. I understand the chap was not leaning over the side etc so it was very unusual. I just don't think you can be too careful. Good luck with it. cheers

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 17:20   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
Hi all.

We are planning to cruise the Kimberley coast next season. Have heard some stories of very cheeky crocs and attacks on dinghies. Just trying to separate fact from hysteria.

We have a 3.1m RHIB dinghy with a 6hp outboard and have had comments like "You won't be able to take that to the Kimberley or the crocs will bite it and sink you," or "Whatever you do don't leave your dinghy in the water or the crocs will attack it."

I am born and bred in croc country in north Queensland and have fished mangrove creeks in croc habitat all my life. I am well aware of the dangers of crocs and the precautions required. My experience has always been though that they tend to shy away from people and boats. Actual attacks on boats or people in boats I always thought were very, very rare and were usually associated with someone going for a Darwin Award by doing something stupid like hanging limbs over the side or cleaning fish over the side.

I do know that these beasties can get very used to people being around especially if they get given an occasional feed of fish scraps etc. so they can lurk around boats which means you most definitely need to take care and keep your wits about you.

But I have also seen how some people either seem to get totally paranoid about them and exaggerate the danger or just the opposite and be so blasé that they are really putting their lives in danger. Like the guy in prime croc country that told me that it was ok to swim upstream of a particular bridge as the crocs didn't go upstream of the bridge. He was seriously going to get into the water for a dip.

So, any cruisers out there that have cruised the Kimberley and experienced the crocs first hand? What say ye? Is my dinghy destined for croc food? Is is too small? Do i need an aluminium dinghy just to stay alive? Were you always winching out your dinghy when not in use? Did any crocs have a nibble of your dinghy or outboard?

Thanks in advance.

Winf
Separating fact from hysteria is a big ask - especially on the internet .

FWIW, I reckon the crocs in FNQ act in the same way as the crocs in the Kimberley or in NT. At least, the ones north of Cooktown and in the Gulf. So in that sense you are aware of the issues as much as the Kimberly locals.

Now I've never been up close with a Kimberly croc but I have some ancient experience of Cape York (both sides) and Darwin crocs in the 80's & 90's. Over that 20+ year period, the crocs have become not only bigger but also less wary of humans in my somewhat humble opinion. I don't have any hard data to back up this claim, just my opinion and limited experience. Presumably this trend has continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Most of my dingy encounters have been during the day , with the dingy tied off ashore. On return one finds the dingy capsized or in disarray with teeth punctures in the fenders or motor cover.
This is a very good point IMO.

I had a 14ft tinny that was left unattended for half a day (in the Escape River) and on return, it was clear that a croc had had a good poke around inside the dinghy. While still useable, I don't think a RIB would have survived. BTW, there wasn't any bait or fish in the tinny at the time but presumably the scent of past fish was enough to attract the crocs attention - or maybe it was my aftershave - which some say is pretty similar.

Anyway, enjoy the Kimberly.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 18:30   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
or maybe it was my aftershave
Old Plaice? Old Splice? Brute? Aqua Smelva? What DO you use, mate?

Hee,hee,

Jim
Old 27-11-2014, 20:16   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Old Plaice? Old Splice? Brute? Aqua Smelva? What DO you use, mate?

Hee,hee,

Jim
Ahh Jim, that was in my younger days when a man's aftershave was a very important part of his identity.

My usual was a home made mix of mangrove mud, DEET, shark liver oil and white zinc cream. If the truth be told, it was really a more of "beforeshave" rather than aftershave. Slap some on Saturday morning and ya didn't need to shave until Monday morning.

For more formal occasions - like going out Friday night - drop the mangrove mud and substitute Bundy rum. Makes it more fluid and the shelias seemed like it better. Maybe it was just a FNQ thing????

Didn't have any other use for Bundy as Coops will attest to!

Bit different these days in the deep south, I use whatever the wife buys and says is good.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 21:38   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

In 2002 I conveyed some people back and forward ashore in Dampier harbour whilst their inflatable was being repaired for crok bites in the Kimberlies.

I have given up pissing over the side after I saw this image on the front page of the NT News:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaping Croc.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	92441
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 22:12   #25

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Very interesting thread guys.

We are looking at a hard dinghy this weekend as I don't want to use the inflatable (in crock country) when on our intended trip around Aus. We travelled the Kimberly and northern regions in a 4 x 4 before moved aboard and I have seen what crocs can do.

Fair sailing to all and hope to see some on route - Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 22:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I've heard that crocs use RIBs as boarding ladders and then eat the crew as they sleep.....
According to pearl divers (luggers times, Darwin Harbour) crocs do not require the use of a RIB to come on board for a feed.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 15:21   #27

There is currently talk that the NT government is considering legislating against risky behaviour in crocodile habitats. I hope it doesn't extend to the size and type of dinghy we choose to use. Hopefully common-sense will prevail on both sides.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 17:22   #28

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca
Crocodiles in the Kimberley

Croc in the mangroves Hinchinbrook Passage as we were putting out crab pots in our rib last year. A bit up close and personal. Another surfaced just near the boat.

Bob
CASABLANCA L420 #86
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1417223909.610932.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	92498  
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 17:59   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I've been told that an adult croc can jump to a height equal to twice his length. Anyone here know whether this is true?

The article I referenced earlier mentions that they can remain submerged up to two hours, scoping out a situation. To me, that's creepy!

Ann
Old 28-11-2014, 19:03   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I've been told that an adult croc can jump to a height equal to twice his length. Anyone here know whether this is true?

Ann
I suspect not. Am no expert but I would have thought 1/2 it's body length would be a closer average. Maybe some are a little more athletic. We certainly make a point of vacating the dinghy quickly on landing and moving well back from the waters edge.

Interesting animals that demand respect, and no more dangerous than any other sailing hazard if appropriate respect is shown.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote