Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2018, 14:42   #61

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: crew from hell ?

I've gotten crew I didn't previously know from crew sites several times, mostly for casual sailing, not serious deliveries, etc. For the most part, it's worked out fairly well. I had one person that just didn't click, so we just tolerated each other.

I had one bad experience with someone helping me sail my boat from the VIs back to Florida. I had sailed with this person once before for 3 easy days and that went well. She had delivery and racing experience. Turned out in the intervening years, she had become a terrible alcoholic and her family life was a mess. We missed several weather windows because the wanted to stay in port and be in touch with family. I bought her a plane ticket home from western Puerto Rico and finished the trip solo. My only mistake wast to not send her home sooner.

I did my first cruise to the Bahamas solo purposely so I knew I would never be dependent on crew.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 18:57   #62

Re: crew from hell stories

Quote:
Most "crew from hell" stories are actually "captain from hell" stories. It's almost entirely up to the captain, how well the crew works out.
BINGO!!!!

As an aside...I even cringe at the tone and rules of some of the "crew wanted" ads and posts. Some of these "captains" may be nice people and great skippers, however, NO WAY would I answer any of these ads if I were looking to crew....which I NEVER will, no way baby!!!

As to rules, I get the no alcohol thing....esp while passage making. However, I've never been on a completely "dry boat", nor would I ever want to be. Even the British Navy allowed alcohol consumption onboard for goodness sake.

Unbelievably I read an add here on CF stating that there will be "NO MEAT" to be consumed onboard and the REALLY unbelievable post of "THERE IS NO SEX ON MY BOAT" Yes siree bob...... THAT sure got my attention as in...A) Why would anybody care and B) How is THAT rule going to be enforced?...esp if one doesn't have a partner.
Old 28-04-2018, 23:10   #63

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Highly likely that the captains putting up those ads are happy that you do not answer.
Classic win win situation I'd say!
Old 29-04-2018, 02:52   #64
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think one of the reasons captains and crew have dysfunctional problems on yachts is because it is an unpaid position without a clear discussion, definition and agreement of;
"Why You Are Here?"

With paid Crew its easy. It's all about performance.... You fail to perform and you are let go.

Nothing personal and simply business.

With volunteer crew, expectations and relationships can be fuzzy and when both parties disappoint one another, it is taken more personally.

The only time I have had horrible paid crew was on a commercial delivery when the Owner, sent some of his young harbour captains of his towing fleet to crew for me with his purchase of a large offshore tug.
They thought this was a paid holiday from Acapulco to Vancouver.

They were supposed to help me make the necessary repairs before heading north.

Instead, Girls/booze/fights, which only slowed down when two of the three came down with a dose.

They were useless and a liability both ashore and at sea.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 10:22   #65

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It would seem, to me, vetting someone for a crew would be more important than the same as for a permanent position on land. Finding out you got a fruit cake or someone under qualified you can't just give them their walking papers and there is probably more at stake. Few hires on shore will put life and limb at risk.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew