Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 22:41   #1

Question Coronado 35

Hi! We are looking for informations and suggestions for Coronado 35, does anybody have the same boat or know about it?

Thanks!
Marleesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 11:04   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Coronado 35

I had a friend who owned one and it made a very nice liveaboard condo with a great deal of room below decks. However, it was not a good sailer. I don't care for center cockpit boats of that length so have not looked seriously at them.
There will be others here with more experience with them so good luck in bringing out their opinions.
kind regards,
Old 29-01-2012, 14:41   #3

Hello!
Yes, actually we have one and she is really confortable!
We are working on her now and we are looking for suggestions of improvements we can make for itto sail better!
Thanks for the attention!
Old 05-04-2012, 15:10   #4

Marleesh,
We just bought a 35. I would love to talk with you about yours. I am a newbie at the "boatie" thing. And a little anxious. Please email me back.
Tami
Rob.Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 20:58   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If you are having problems pointing I would think that new sails are the best and cheapest place to start. Note that I did not say cheap, only cheapest. Start with a main and 100% jib then see what else the pocket book can handle, in order after those I would get a drifter then a 130% lapper.

If she just isn't fast enough generally then there are cheaper options to start with than a whole new suit of sails:

A) Adding an inner forestay for a staysail so the boat becomes a cutter ketch. On any reach the boat will benefit from the added sail area, and the extra rigging will provide redundant support for the main mast. Close hauled or running the staysail won't do much.

B) Get a used drifter for light air sailing.

C) Get some sort of nylon sail such as asymmetrical spinnaker in a snuffer/sock, or a CodeZero on a furler.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.Tami
Marleesh,
We just bought a 35. I would love to talk with you about yours. I am a newbie at the "boatie" thing. And a little anxious. Please email me back.
Tami
Hi Tami!
Welcome to the time!
So you bought a Coronado? Which is the year of yours? What are your plans for her?

We are now on dry dock having lot of work on ours because the previous owner actually didnt take really care of her...
I really suggest you to attempt to the barrier coat on yours.... The lamination of those boats are really susceptible to have osmosis... He just did a big osmosis treatment on ours... And I am sure you dont want to do that! So be sure you have some good layers of epoxi before your primer and antifouling layers!

Another point I would suggest you to attempt is the bilge between the motor floor and the hull.... How is it on yours?

Keep in touch!

Marleesh
Old 06-04-2012, 05:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie
If you are having problems pointing I would think that new sails are the best and cheapest place to start. Note that I did not say cheap, only cheapest. Start with a main and 100% jib then see what else the pocket book can handle, in order after those I would get a drifter then a 130% lapper.

If she just isn't fast enough generally then there are cheaper options to start with than a whole new suit of sails:

A) Adding an inner forestay for a staysail so the boat becomes a cutter ketch. On any reach the boat will benefit from the added sail area, and the extra rigging will provide redundant support for the main mast. Close hauled or running the staysail won't do much.

B) Get a used drifter for light air sailing.

C) Get some sort of nylon sail such as asymmetrical spinnaker in a snuffer/sock, or a CodeZero on a furler.
Hello Adelie!
Thanks for your tips!
Actually we are making lots of improvements in all the boat...
We started with the hull..
Now we are finishing the motor,
And for sure the sails are going to be the next! Rss...
Slowly, slowly we will get there!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
I had a friend who owned one and it made a very nice liveaboard condo with a great deal of room below decks. However, it was not a good sailer. I don't care for center cockpit boats of that length so have not looked seriously at them.
There will be others here with more experience with them so good luck in bringing out their opinions.
kind regards,
Hello John!
Yes, definately is very confortable but sometimes too confortable.. Rss!
I would say she is a very good boat boat to live in Caribbean, mediterraneo or those places where you make shorts sailings.
But we never saw a 35 with so much space inside and, sincerely, we never saw an aft cabin so nice as ours... Even in bigger boats...
Is very nice for a couple living in Caribbean, as we are doing.
Thanks for your message!
Old 26-04-2012, 15:01   #9

We saw/boarded our baby on the 18th. It's big, much bigger than I thought. Makes our baby boat, the Balboa seem sooooooo small. Lots of work to be done. Hope to catch up with you sometime. For now, we are dry too.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42   #10

Boat: Lafitte 44

I had a 27 many many years ago in California. Lived on her for 5 years. She was tough as nails and actually sailed fairly well! Mine could take a huge beating!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51   #11

The hard part for us is that The Phoenix (coronado 35) is in Maryland and we are in Nebraska. We need to do alot to her before we board and launch. Good to hear that you liked yours. We may be looking for a new engine. Anyone? Also, (girl talk inserted here) I want to know about customizing the cabinets and closets. Ours are just hollow fiberglass. Help?

Tami
Old 04-05-2012, 23:26   #12

After you have sailed it for a while and you want better performance, unless your sails are really shot, your biggest gain will come from getting a Maxprop or some other feathering prop. The down wind differance between a brand new genoa and main, compared to a blown out bag will be small. A feathering prop of any brand will help you on all points of sail. More bang for the buck.____IMO____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:51   #13

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

I too am in the process of getting a Coronado 35 .... we have enough for our own bulletin board
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote