Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2006, 18:55   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Cork flooring

I saw a reference for cork flooring in another thread with the implication cork is recommended. My understanding is that cork really reacts with water and can be easily ruined. Is this the case, does cork react with water? Can you use cork on your galley cabin floor?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 23:42   #2
cruiser

I was looking for something way "out there" and different. I think I might be the first gunnea pig to try this. Based on the manufacturer's claims, the flooring will stand up. But... only time will tell.

If you want to play it safe... I would say that you should stick with the traditional materials.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 00:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I had cork. After a few years it looked like hell. I wouldn't recommend it.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 05:33   #4
cruiser

Quote:
sneuman once whispered in the wind:
I had cork. After a few years it looked like hell. I wouldn't recommend it.
Could you let me know what happened to it? What ended up looking bad? What type of finish was on it?

Thanks
Old 24-01-2006, 10:34   #5

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
How does cork supposedly react with water? It's only been used to stopper bottles for the past thousand years or so. Cork has natural anti-fungal and anti-mildew properties. I've used it in my kitchen ashore, where it stands up very well to heavy use. Not to mention for things that are dropped there's less chance of breakage when hitting a soft surface. I'm interested to hear sneuman's reasons.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 11:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Cook flooring was used in NZ homes many many years ago. It is now considered a little ummm "tacky" but it is still sold and thus I guess, still used. It's down fall is also it's strength. It is soft.

So you will need a good substrate under it Sean. The original flooring maybe fine for this, but without something firm under foot, the floor will flex as the cork will not give any support at all.

The main attributes are it's insulative properties in both temperature and noise. But long term wear is not so good. This may not be an issue on the boat though Sean. Wear in a home is a lot harder on it. You have Ladies wearing high heels and the points stuff the surface quickly. On a boat, it won't be subject to as high a wear and I doubt you will have high heels on board.
It is so easy to lay. That is if you are using the cork tiles. It is easy to stick down and to cut. Apart from carpet tiles, I don't think there would be anything easier to place down.

Yes Cork absorbs moisture and it swells. Just like any timber does. It isn't a major problem unless constantly wet, where it will soften and swell several times it's size. Notice when the cork comes out of the bottle, the end that has had the wine on it, it very soft and swollen.
But under a good polyurathane coating, it seems to be fine. I have a freind that has a boat floor totally in cork. It looks OK and is holding up OK, but it is not everyones cup of tea. I have often thought about putting it in the galley area of my boat myself. We have carpet and I hate carpet. Especially in the galley. It just gets too filthy and tooo hard to keep clean and dry.
I had been thinking about strip laying it with a sealant along the joins as if you were laying a teak deck.

The other major advantage of cork, it is easy to remove in the future. It can be lifted with a sharp blade like a spade and then easily removed with a sanding machine. So if you didn't like the stuff,or found it wasn't hardwearing enough, then the problem can be easily rectified and a harder wearing material placed down.

Sean, there are also hardwood panels/sheets available that are strip vineered to look like the strip plank cabin soles. Expensive stuff, but worth a look, or at least later if you didn't like the cork. Harder to fit, but easier and cheaper than laying a solid strip timber floor.

Oh and one other thought, you can also get a strip "plastic" material that looks just like wood, is very hardwearing, comes with a sticky backing and you cut and lay.
Also a plywood strip planking with a smart timber surface. There is also available a cheaper version of it with a picture of timber on the surface, but it doesn't like moisture and the surface is very thin and easily damaged. Stay away from that stuff.

I can get the official names we use here in NZ if you wish. Just yell.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 18:44   #7
cruiser

Wheels,

One thing we considered very much was this stuff:

http://www.worldpanel.com/Image6.jpg

Still like it a lot, but due to the nature of our restoration project, we are trying to move away from the traditional stripes, and go with a solid-colored cabin sole that is very dark, and has just a bit of texture. That's where we arrived at the cork (from Kevin's suggestion).

I have finally got my hands on some cork flooring at Lowe's (can never spell that!). I was able to chip a little piece off with my fingernail only at the very edge. Same was true with the hardwood floors they have as well. I will likely add a layer of epoxy or something to the outer edge of each cabin sole panel in order to minimize the chipping of the cork.

I'm surprised that it's considered tacky where you are. Funny thing is... it's becoming trendy here. ha ha ha

Go figure.

I will use the existing cabin sole which is just water damaged and chipped at some corners. I plan to take the advice of epoxying the damaged areas. This floor is 5/8" teak and holly laminate marine ply. It is structurally sound, so I imagine it will make a good support layer for the cork.

Thanks for the help and contributions. I always value your ideas. They have been very helpful over the months I have been on this accellerated restoration project.
Old 24-01-2006, 19:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

YOUR GOING TO CORK OVER HOLLY AND TEAK???. NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! !!!!
I would just love to have a floor of Teak and Holly. I can't afford it. It's Gold that stuff. In fact, weight for weight, It's probably more valueable than Gold.
I'm gonna go and cry just a little while now Don't worry, snif sniff, I'll be OK, sniff sniff.

Old 24-01-2006, 19:52   #9

Hey. You could play quarters on the floor. If ya too drunk to play it on the table. You could play it on the floor?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 20:34   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Alan Wheeler once whispered in the wind:
YOUR GOING TO CORK OVER HOLLY AND TEAK???. NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! !!!!
I would just love to have a floor of Teak and Holly. I can't afford it. It's Gold that stuff. In fact, weight for weight, It's probably more valueable than Gold.
I'm gonna go and cry just a little while now Don't worry, snif sniff, I'll be OK, sniff sniff.
Awww... wish I could ship it out to you, but then it's not in great shape anyway.

The teak and holly laminate layer has some delamination and edges that are chewed off. It needs replacing, so instead of buying an expensive new teak and holly floor, we plan to do the cork idea over the old.
Old 24-01-2006, 20:35   #11
cruiser

Quote:
CaptainK once whispered in the wind:
Hey. You could play quarters on the floor. If ya too drunk to play it on the table. You could play it on the floor?
Ahhh... takes me back to the days of high school and college. I used to be able to get it in by rolling it down my nose, off the table, and into the glass.

What skills we develop as kids... ha ha
Old 24-01-2006, 20:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Huh? What sort of game is that?

Hey if the damage is around the edges, why not a new strip of Teak around the edge. But then again, if ya really want cork. Ooops, got dust in my eye's again.

Old 24-01-2006, 23:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

mine discolored and cracked. it's still fine, but looks like hell.
Old 24-01-2006, 23:31   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I believe the product was called MarineTek 2000. The previous owner installed it
Old 25-01-2006, 12:19   #15

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
marine tek?

Is it some sort of composite? http://www.tek-dek.co.uk/
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cork, flooring