Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 18:42   #16

Re: Coppercoat bottom paint

Back on point
I just checked out their website and used their calculator to figure out how much I would need to cover my 43 Beneteau. It stated I would need 14 units at over $150 per unit. If you do the math and I didn't, it seems expensive

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:44   #17
Marine Service Provider

I am sure Jim Edwards at Coppercoat USA LLC would be able to do a better price than $150 per litre pack for the 14 packs required. You'll probably be looking at a total price of about $1500. Which has got to make more financial sense than lifting and repainting the boat every year for the next 10 years or so.

He is exhibiting Coppercoat at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show now, so you may even get a special "boat show" price. But I can't promise that! His email is Jim@coppercoatusa.com
Ewan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02   #18

Boat: 1977 Columbia 9.6 32 '
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJ
Back on point
I just checked out their website and used their calculator to figure out how much I would need to cover my 43 Beneteau. It stated I would need 14 units at over $150 per unit. If you do the math and I didn't, it seems expensive
Try Progressive Epoxy on google. You can buy the copper powder and epoxy and mic your own much cheapet. I did and love it. Throw in some cayenne pepper for flavor and you have a good bottom paint. Progressive epoxy sells many types of epoxies so you can call and they can help you out.
kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:06   #19

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

SOMEBODY'S mask seal is leaking.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkie43 View Post
We came across Coppercoat multi season anti fouling bottom paint by Aquarius Marine Coatings. Does anyone have experience? They tout up to 10 years between paint jobs.
Thanks, Craig
Craig

Follow the link that Skipmac posted. I used it and posted a couple of pics.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:17   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
By using a valid argument like comparing sewage to nuclear weapons?
I didn't compare sewage to nuclear weapons. If you are going to make an argument in support of your position that includes referring to something I said, please try to do it accurately and cogently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Yea capn Phil !! But ya have to remember that there would be a lot less boat scrubbing jobs if we could use the bottom paint we grew up with!! Cus ya know nobody would want to scrub red lead anyway LOL Ahh I remember 3 yrs with no bottom painting! and still no animules on the bottom !! O well guess Im going to belize ya can still use good stuff there !!
Do you ever make a post that doesn't advocate harming the environment? Fortunately for me and the water I earn my living in, we will not be moving retardedly backwards towards the days when putting devastating poisons on boat bottoms was allowed. At least we won't be doing it in this country. But I guess you can always find some back-assward, third world sh*t-hole that will let someone like you do the wrong thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
SOMEBODY'S mask seal is leaking.
Here's a tip for you, Chief. Don't quit your day job.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:28   #22

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

My, but we are getting testy, aren't we? What was meant as a tongue-in-cheek bit of a thread drift certainly got folks riled up! My apologies... perhaps we could get back to the
OP's original question about bottom paint. Sorry about that... Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:33   #23
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
My, but we are getting testy, aren't we? What was meant as a tongue-in-cheek bit of a thread drift certainly got folks riled up! My apologies... perhaps we could get back to the
OP's original question about bottom paint. Sorry about that... Cheers, Capt Phil
I see. So when others take shots at me- that's OK. But when I respond and correct inaccuracies attributed to me- that's not OK.

Do I pretty much get your drift?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:52   #24

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Yea capn Phil !! But ya have to remember that there would be a lot less boat scrubbing jobs if we could use the bottom paint we grew up with!! Cus ya know nobody would want to scrub red lead anyway LOL Ahh I remember 3 yrs with no bottom painting! and still no animules on the bottom !! O well guess Im going to belize ya can still use good stuff there !!
Just follow the money!
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

so ignoring all the posts not having to do with the subject:

Does it really cost like $1500 to use the Coppercoat on a 43" boat?
Old 07-10-2012, 13:20   #26

Dunno. It cost us about $500 to buy the product for our 33-footer, when conventional bottom paint for our boat costs about $250. So, double the price. Jim Edwards was super-responsive to our many, many questions about the application, which was intense but straightforward as the video implied. 3 people, 4 hours in our case not including prep.

We just splashed a month ago so I can't tell you how it will perform long-term, but we definitely sailed faster with the new paint.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 13:41   #27

At twice the price of conventional bottom paint with a potential 10-year life, the very first time we don't have to haul and repaint we're money ahead. After that, we're pure profit.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 15:27   #28

No poison bottom paint and no crapping in the water, big fines…. For me!
But what about those Cruise ships and container ships from all over the world docked just half a mile away, do they really have to re-paint with the same rubbish bottom paint that I’m forced to use every year? I don’t think so! A hundred little boats like mine wouldn’t equal one cruise ship.
And what about the sewage plant a hundred yards in front of me that regularly has an accidental spillage, I emphasis “accidental” sarcastically, there’s no way they can safely process the amount of sewage that goes through there every day, to say nothing of the smell.
Sure we need to clean up our act but EPA, get off my back and do your job with the real culprits.
If we’re going to have nuclear weapons use them to blow up the EPA…
Jason84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 17:41   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
At twice the price of conventional bottom paint with a potential 10-year life, the very first time we don't have to haul and repaint we're money ahead. After that, we're pure profit.
My concern is what do you do in ten years, if it really does last that long. Now you have a hull coated with a copper/epoxy mix that could be really hard to remove.

So, do the directions for Coppercoat address how to get it off when it's time to reapply or you want to switch to something different? If the process is anything like peeling the bottom for a blister job it could be quite expensive, which would wipe out a lot of the savings.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:16   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I didn't compare sewage to nuclear weapons. If you are going to make an argument in support of your position that includes referring to something I said, please try to do it accurately and cogently.
OK, I'll be more precise. What you did was compare my issue about different standards for sewage dumping by individuals and municipalities to individuals vs the military owning nuclear weapons.

You nitpick the semantics but don't choose to answer my point that your analogy was a gross exaggeration and not really accurate or relevant.

So make an accurate and cogent argument showing the fallacy of my objection to differing standards for sewage dumping and I will humbly admit the error of my position. If there is any valid justification for municipalities dumping sewage in the ocean I would sincerely like to hear it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint