Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2017, 08:48   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Contributions to King Neptune things going overboard

I could easily pay for a nice electronics upgrade if I could recover the tools and miscellaneous hardware from my slip in a fifty year-old marina! I've personally donated shackles, pins, deck keys, and such. I've watched others pitch in multi-tools and knives. Everything is stainless, so it ain't coming back easily. There's nothing like that sinking feeling as you watch something sink!

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:21   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

If you haven't lost something overboard you have never been on a boat ... or are a liar.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:25   #18

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Div
That was was a moment for sure. All the time you were looking did you feel you would find them?
Old 19-07-2017, 09:38   #19

Boat: Pearson 530

Hand tools mostly, the most annoying was a new 4 in 1 screw driver that a mechanic put in his bag. As I was putting my tools below, I noticed the empty container and called the mechanic back by VHF. He apologized and handed it to me. I turned to step in the cockpit and my hand tangled with the stay. Plop the screw driver went into the water. I asked the mechanic if he wanted to stay and have a few drinks with me.

All U Get
Old 19-07-2017, 09:43   #20

Boat: Baba 40

Like a64pilot, my donation was an outboard, but... Picture January in Annapolis, new 8hp outboard being walked down to my slip in a dock cart. Wheel snagged, cart tipped, and I stood transfixed as it slooooowly slid out of the cart... onto the icy dock.... the PLOP! The Flash couldn't have gotten to it fast enough. I duct taped everything I could find together hoping against hope I could snag it and haul it up, but no joy. I'll admit I seriously considered bundling up and doing a quick dive but the shred of common sense I have left kicked in (the other 99.999999% of my brain still regrets not giving it a go). After countless phone calls I finally located a diver in Baltimore that was willing. (Have I mentioned the only reason I was taking it from the car to the boat was I had to catch 90 minutes to catch a flight?) To make a short story longer - you should hear me tell it after a couple of cocktails - the diver came down the next day, rescued it and left it tied off underwater at my slip. A week later I returned, flushed the heck out of it with fresh water, changed the plug and petroleum products, and the puppy fired more or less right up!
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:46   #21

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divevac View Post
We were on a honeymoon charter a couple of decades ago and we got into some restaurant food that made us vilely ill. The weight loss resulted in my bride losing her wedding band and ring about 20m off the sandy beach in about 7 feet of wavey salt water. Three solid days of snorkeling later (and two hours before our charter return time), I found both rings within 3' of each other.
Some things were meant to be...
Well done.

King Neptune, and the other Gods were definitely smiling on you.

A GREAT sign.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 10:02   #22

Boat: J/42

I've never had much luck recovering anything by diving in the marina - too much deep muck for small objects to sink in to. And zero visibility anyway.

In the 90's, I knew a guy who would "forage" in certain marinas that were clear enough to see. He had several angry confrontations with boat owners and got threatened at gunpoint once. People didn't want to dive after their own stuff, but they didn't want some scavenger getting it either!
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 10:23   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It may have changed? I thought screw drivers topped the list.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 11:06   #24

Once, working as a flyfishing guide, I had a wealthy sport hook into a good fish and promptly drop a very expensive rod into the drink. I managed to retrieve it with a nifty Mithix folding grapnel which I carried for just such occasions. The rod came up along with a very nice 4lb rainbow which the sport proceeded to land (and then release). I was rewarded for my efforts with a very handsome tip and an extremely nice bottle of single malt...

Alas, I subsequently lost the grapnel - can't you guess... overboard
Nowhere-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 11:15   #25

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

FWIW....not all stainless is non-magnetic. Though I suspect the better grades of stainless would tend to be non-magnetic.

My cell phone took a drink a couple months ago and just barely works.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 11:26   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
Yes those neat looking key boober . Doesn't seem to keep much afloat.
With the new electronic key fobs I think it is a water tight bag for sure on those.
Although the floating keychain won't keep the keys afloat, it sure makes them much easier to find on the mucky/weedy bottom, as the float part usually pops up over the muck/weeds.

Then you can get out your electromagnet and start fishing.

Of course this assumes clear and shallow water.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 11:31   #27

All my valuables go into a bright yellow drybag which is sealed with lots of air (so it floats) before I even go on the dock.

I tell my guests to empty their pockets once they are aboard. After that its their problem.

I had a very nice long swim with a new friend as we tried to find his wife's brand new glasses, which fell off her face as she jumped ashore...and they splashed through a narrow crack between the dock sections.
Old 19-07-2017, 11:36   #28

Once, at a mooring ball at Thwartway Island (just one of the 1000 islands), a couple kids from another boat were diving with fins and masks, looking for treasure. I called them over hoping they could retrieve my sunglasses, which had gone over the side earlier that day. With their masks and fins they had my sunglasses in no time flat. To thank them, I tossed a couple old canadian silver dollars (early 60's, one full ounce of silver) over the side for them to have. But coins go into the muck, whereas the sunglasses sat on top of the muck and weeds. They never found the coins. After, I went over the side to try to find them myself...I knew exactly where they should be...but gave up after an hour. It was only about 7 feet deep, and clear sweet water. Lesson learned.

BTW, if you are at Thwartway Island, you are welcome to search for those coins...they are worth about $20 each now.
Old 19-07-2017, 11:38   #29

sunglasses: 10+ (?)

baseball hats: 10+ (?)

boat pole: 1

deck brush: 1

car keys: 1 set (Dove until they were retrieved. My father wouldn't let me up on the dock until I had his keys in my hand, since I'm the one who dropped them)

pump out fitting: 1 (retrieved with a net)

Cover to Raymarine Display: 1

iPad: 1 (Admiral wouldn't speak with me for 3 hours).

Cell Phones: 2 (Technically, "I" fell in and they were along for the ride since they were in my pocket both times).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 11:40   #30

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

They used to make a keychain gadget that burst open and self-inflated if dropped in water and would keep your stuff afloat. i used to have one, but I have not seen them in many years.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard, rib