Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 15:58   #1

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
Contributions to King Neptune things going overboard

Well have not been sailing in a lot of years so I forgot my biggest basic rule.
Keeping a what I called a land bag.
My land bag was a bag that was somewhat water proof and would float. Before going aboard I would put all things in it Phone, car keys, wallet, purses, things of value etc.
Well went for a sail last Sunday July 16th and forgot my golden rule. I had my phone in my shorts front pocket, keys in front pocket, wallet in my left back pocket(3 credit cards, drivers lic, med,card , veteran id card, $500.00+ in gift cards, car insurance card and several reward cards), in my right back pocket I keept money clip with cash. Great Sail 5-10 knot winds no waves well maybe 6". sunny in the mid 70's, was not a fast sail but it was extremely enjoyable. All done for the buttoned up boat and sat down on the deck to slide in to RIP and as I slide off. I hear a ploop. Wait for it!~ Wait for it!~ Yup the wallet slid right out of the back pocket. By the time I got bent over and an arm in the water I manage to catch one floating Rewards card that floated loose. The wallet sank like a rock in 60 feet of water in a 5 knot current in a Maine Harbour...
Oh by the way I had an 14 hour 875 mile drive home that night. luck I had cash to get home on. (One reason I carry cash in one pocket and wallet in another.)
Well I spent all day yesterday canceling 3 credit cards, calling 2 insurance co., getting new drivers Lic,, still have to get new military ID yet. Gift cards are gone
FYI little tip if you have gift cards you carry copy the card # and the pin number that way if you lose the card you can still use them. no I only figured that out after.
The crabs in Maine may be able to buy thier way out if they get ahold of that wallet..

Anyone else contribute any thing to King Neptune?
Old 18-07-2017, 16:27   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Contributions to King Neptune things going overboard

Darn. Sorry about that. Good to know about the gift cards. I found out the other day that the floaty bob on my key chain doesn't actually float with my 5 keys. I had a net on board and taped it to a boat hook. After 2 attempts, I fished them out. After an alcohol bath (for my car fob) and removing the battery for a bit, it still works, too. I got lucky. I've also gone in with scuba gear to retrieve things. It helps to know exactly where things go down as they do fall at predictable rates even factoring in current. But much harder to do if you're out sailing....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 16:36   #3

Yes those neat looking key boober . Doesn't seem to keep much afloat.
With the new electronic key fobs I think it is a water tight bag for sure on those.
Old 18-07-2017, 16:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Last year I tried to contribute a 20 HP Suzuki outboard, only thing keeping it from being gone was the fuel line, was about 6' under I think.
I saw the wallet when it floated by, however my $600 glasses were gone.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 16:44   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

Made a cell phone donation to Neptune in back creek in Annapolis on Sunday.

Having a waterproof phone doesn't do much good in 20 feet of murky water.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 16:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulskibum View Post
Made a cell phone donation to Neptune in back creek in Annapolis on Sunday.

Having a waterproof phone doesn't do much good in 20 feet of murky water.
Mogul what is your cell # ? You go down I will call you!~

64pilot good save on the motor but King Neptune got Glasses now!~
Thanks that reminds me I need to get new thingy to hold glasses on.
Old 18-07-2017, 17:12   #7

Boat: J/42

I make most of my donations as hats. Oh, and there are plenty of tools on the bottom under my slip. Not to mention the one last winch handle in the world that fits old Lewmar winches. ( I really like multi-tools with lanyard clips.) And for some reason, I cannot remember to remove my sunglasses before diving into the ocean.

Long ago, on small boats, I learned to keep all the pocket contents in a dry bag. Now on Arcturus, there is a small dedicated locker at the nav station for Captains Personal Effects.

Years ago, I was alone scuba camping at Smallpox Bay with a small zodiac and a ludicrously heavy ancient evinrude. After assembling the boat on the beach, I pushed off into the bay and drifted around while trying to start the motor. On about the 40'th pull of the starter, a small shiny object launched out of my shorts pocket and over the side. My key ring. A dozen miles from town. Two hundred miles from home. No phone. No ride. Everything was locked up inside the car. Except the scuba gear.
For some reason, I had the presence of mind to take range sightings on two objects on shore. Went back to the beach and geared up. Paddled back out to my triangulated spot and anchored. The bottom was about fifteen feet, sandy, and covered with waving kelp. I swam a grid pattern for about twenty minutes and actually found the keys!

So, one of life's small triumphs that makes me look almost good enough to make up for the bozo move of losing the keys in the first place.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 17:45   #8

That my friend must have been karma. You must be a good person!~
Old 18-07-2017, 18:00   #9

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I lived on board for many years. I too made offerings to Neptune/Poseidon and other deities. Phones, keys, tools etc. Most of these offerings were made climbing on board from the dinghy, or from the jetty on board.

After I lost the second set of keys, I made a string with the keys on it, and wear them around my neck and tucked inside my shirt, and in a pocket of my shorts, so I don't hang myself. And the string is long enough to reach the locks , I don't have to remove them from my neck (except for when driving the car). Never lost my keys since.

I was able to retrieve both sets of keys and many tools with a large magnet with 5 or 6 mt of string, it can lift very heavy items 1-2 kg, but do not try to lift that above the water. Such magnet has been part of my standard tools on the boat since..... hmmm not all keys are magnetic though.

The third rescue device and more for larger items, is a grapnel. You may need to try to catch the lost item 64 times, the label guarantees it is will get hooked and come on the surface the 65th time. If not then, treat the loss as another offering.
Old 18-07-2017, 18:09   #10

Gotta say, wallet in back pocket, money clip in back pocket = a pickpocket's dream come true.

Remembering the only deck key going over the side. A multi-key that fit everything.
And then the struggle with the long nose pliers that almost worked but were much better at giving some good pinches. Ahh ! The blood blisters.

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 19:53   #11

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

The worst is dropping a small stainless (or plastic) part to X. Where "X" is an older piece of hardware (winch, roller furling, light fixture, etc) for which parts are no longer available.

There are six keys to Mr Murphy enforcing his law in these situations:
1. The part must be non magnetic.
2. The water cannot be relatively shallow and clear. It can be one or the other, just not both.
3. The part must be critical to the functioning of the equipment.
4. If the equipment is not expensive, the manufacturer must have discontinued it several years ago, and no one has old stock.
5. If the equipment is expensive, the manufacturer must have discontinued it many years ago, and no longer has that particular spare part (they will have other parts that you don't need).
6. No one will be selling a used one at a reasonable price anywhere.

I once ran an automatic eBay search (including the US, UK, Canadian and Australian eBay sites) for nearly two years before I finally found someone selling a specific discontinued aqua marine light. I would probably have paid $250 for that $50 light by the time I finally found one.

I won't relay the tale of woe when I lost an aluminum piece to my decades old roller furler...
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 20:17   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

Lost my phone a couple of weeks ago that I'd had for all of 5 days. Climbed the mast with it in my back pocket.

Also managed to drop my brand new lifeline over the side while installing it. That was... annoying.
Old 19-07-2017, 07:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Lost my phone a couple of weeks ago that I'd had for all of 5 days. Climbed the mast with it in my back pocket.

Also managed to drop my brand new lifeline over the side while installing it. That was... annoying.
Did it bounce off the deck or straight to the deep six?
Old 19-07-2017, 08:34   #14

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Along the same vein. ... I have been tempted to throw the odd crew member overboard.

But they keep trying to climb back.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 08:46   #15

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

We were on a honeymoon charter a couple of decades ago and we got into some restaurant food that made us vilely ill. The weight loss resulted in my bride losing her wedding band and ring about 20m off the sandy beach in about 7 feet of wavey salt water. Three solid days of snorkeling later (and two hours before our charter return time), I found both rings within 3' of each other.
Some things were meant to be...
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard, rib