Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2021, 13:08   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Container ship dumps containers in Pacific

A TEU or Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit is an exact unit, used to measure cargo capacity, for container ships, and container terminals.
There are two common international standardized container types: twenty, and forty feet long.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 13:13   #122

A twenty-foot equivalent unit (TEU) is a shipping container whose internal dimensions measure about 20 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 8 feet tall. It can hold between 9 and 11 pallets, depending on whether they are standard pallets or EUR-pallets. Two TEUs have the capacity of a single FEU, FEU = Forty Foot Equivalent Unit, both are used to describe the size of a container.

"snap"

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 13:59   #123

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A TEU or Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit is an exact unit, used to measure cargo capacity, for container ships, and container terminals.
There are two common international standardized container types: twenty, and forty feet long.
Thanks, it appears to cubic capacity of 20 and 40' containers.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 14:35   #124

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Shipmates,

Some may agree and some may not. You can satisfy some of the people some of the time, and you even may satisfy all of the people some of the time, but you cannot satisfy all of the people all of the time. With that said, please allow me my opinion. Because of this new world of oceans littered with an unknown Number Of SeaLand Containers floating all over the world, I would say that money spent on a FORWARD-LOOKING-SONAR is money well spent. Better spend for that than lose Your Boat and maybe Your Life also.
The Old Navy Senior Chief Retired
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 16:20   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
GordMay, to show my ignorance what is teu, a long ton, 2200#.
A Twenty Foot Equivalent unit, most boxes are 40’
ameehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 22:16   #126

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Sailing4jesus, I do not have nor have I ever used a forward-looking sonar, so enlighten me: my understanding of it is that it “ looks” in a cone forward, and gives a return of that cone on a screen or display of some sort. If I have that part right(?) seems like the part of the cone that reaches the surface would be so far forward and diffused as to not be helpful. And I can imagine that depending on mounting location, the hull could obscure meaningful return in that upper sector, much in the same way a mast or funnel results in obscured or “ blind” sectors on radar. How much of this do I have right?
Old 20-02-2021, 10:56   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameehan View Post
A Twenty Foot Equivalent unit, most boxes are 40’
Thanks! I would have been more prone to a tare and a gross per container as stenciled on them. As I recall, it is the ships engine that coordinates loading from quite an array of gauges on the bridge deck. That may be the problem, insufficient attention the the center of gravity and the resultant reduction of GM. Time at the pier is money so cutting corners may be the problem.
Old 20-02-2021, 12:30   #128

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Thanks! I would have been more prone to a tare and a gross per container as stenciled on them. As I recall, it is the ships engine that coordinates loading from quite an array of gauges on the bridge deck. That may be the problem, insufficient attention the the center of gravity and the resultant reduction of GM. Time at the pier is money so cutting corners may be the problem.
Because the containers have to be offloaded in an order at the various ports of call which avoids double handling the loading plan is not carried out by the crew during loading it's done beforehand and these days is generally computerized. Consequently my money would be on design rather than operational failure.
Old 20-02-2021, 12:46   #129

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
TEU is more commonly used to describe the carrying capacity of container ships in the same way that deadweight tons ( when loaded ) are used to describe the size of tankers.
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 14:07   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Because the containers have to be offloaded in an order at the various ports of call which avoids double handling the loading plan is not carried out by the crew during loading it's done beforehand and these days is generally computerized. Consequently my money would be on design rather than operational failure.
Maybe that is the problem? A bigger concern for the economics of LOFO than the weight distribution. Net profit. Out of curiosity does anyone know who dumps the most containers?
Old 20-02-2021, 19:19   #131

Quote:
Maybe that is the problem? A bigger concern for the economics of LOFO than the weight distribution. Net profit. Out of curiosity does anyone know who dumps the most containers?
The individual containers have a rated load limit and it would be interesting to see whether they use this figure when they design the vessel or a lower average as they do for passengers in the airline industry.
Old 20-02-2021, 22:05   #132

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Weight distribution is also included as a major "concern". A buddy of mine work on load planning of containers. It's all considered and weight distribution is the major factor influencing fuel comsumption.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 10:45   #133

Quote:
I probably did not make the question clear? Which shipping company or country?
Old 21-02-2021, 11:30   #134

The term "dump" tends to create the wrong impression. They don't actually "dump" them, they "lose" them and whilst it's probable that the losses are often the result of carelessness or negligence of some sort they are not deliberately throwing them overboard. Dump is better saved for their crimes of "dumping" plastic waste or oil from tank cleaning etc. when we really need to emphasize the criminal nature of their activities.
Old 21-02-2021, 13:48   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The term "dump" tends to create the wrong impression. They don't actually "dump" them, they "lose" them and whilst it's probable that the losses are often the result of carelessness or negligence of some sort they are not deliberately throwing them overboard. Dump is better saved for their crimes of "dumping" plastic waste or oil from tank cleaning etc. when we really need to emphasize the criminal nature of their activities.
You are correct. A poor choice of words. I'm not sure lost is any better. How about inadvertently discharged overboard.