Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 14:11   #1

Boat: Quickstep 24
Container ship dumps containers in Pacific

https://www.wsj.com/articles/maersk-...=hp_lista_pos5

It's out of control. If nothing else, read the last 2 paragraphs of the article, which read:
--------------------------------------
Maritime insurance executives said roughly 3,000 containers have been lost at sea over the past two months.

The World Shipping Council, a Washington-based trade body representing liner companies, said in a report last July that between 2008 and 2019 on average 1,382 containers were lost at sea each year.
----------------------------------------
... which is 1382 X 12 years = 16,584.
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 14:42   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Container ship dumps containers in Pacific

All the cheap throwaway junk sourced from the sweat shops of the world isn't going to float to Walmart all by itself. Accidents and mishaps will happen as transportation costs are squeezed to the absolute minimums.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 14:49   #3

Boat: Retired from CF

This is not the first and for sure wont be the last time. Modern container ships are a technical miracle and for sure a commercial compromise. Try to stack as much gear half way up to your Mast height and then sail in a gale and well you will see what happens. I do not blame the SS lines as the commercial pressure is enormous and they have to come up with options to load more and more boxes on a vessel to minimise the per box cost. All importers want dirt cheap freight rates so a modern containership is for sure a compromise and all SS Lines know that they will loose boxes every year.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 16:06   #4

Boat: Farr 43`

Can we have a hydrostatic release so that when the container hits the water it sinks?
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 16:15   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Can we have a hydrostatic release so that when the container hits the water it sinks?

The flotation of a container is dependant on the contents, not the structure of the container. Containers are not watertight, they will sink, albeit slowly, when empty.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 16:26   #6

I cannot see any barriers as to why containers should not be fitted with hydrostatic low power AIS transmitters that would activate after being immersed for a few hours or even days. Cost to implement wouldn't be that great as a proportion of total container manufacturing cost.
Old 21-01-2021, 16:32   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I cannot see any barriers as to why containers should not be fitted with hydrostatic low power AIS transmitters that would activate after being immersed for a few hours or even days. Cost to implement wouldn't be that great as a proportion of total container manufacturing cost.

I like the idea but who’s going to be responsible for maintenance?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 16:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I like the idea but who’s going to be responsible for maintenance?

I wouldn't see it as a problem. Epirbs are good for 10 years. Make these the same and swap them out when done. Even if 10% failed to deploy that's still 90% of potentially adrift containers yelling out for attention.
Old 21-01-2021, 16:44   #9

Boat: Quickstep 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
The flotation of a container is dependant on the contents, not the structure of the container. Containers are not watertight, they will sink, albeit slowly, when empty.
Not if the contents are lighter than water*. Those things floating about loose are a heck of danger to we small boaters. And them that sink with toxins aboard are sure to pollute and often in very, very, very deep waters where we have no idea of the results -- but it's safe to assume we will eventually pay the price and then wonder "what in the world we're they thinking?!"

* Consider contents that are wrapped well in the ubiquitous plastic bags (holding a surplus of air) which seems to be practically everything.
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 16:55   #10

Boat: Columbia 36

So that's where my eBay order disappeared to! Actually over the years I've had several orders never arrive. Always chocked it up to lost containers. I always got a refund but that doesn't help the boat that runs into one of those containers.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 16:57   #11

90+% of all the lost containers are loaded with Chnia crap and are headed to the USA. Ban China crap and 90+%v of container lost at sea reduction.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 17:05   #12

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

It’s just a simple formula. Total number of containers lost includes some that sink but let’s assume they all float. Now you divide the total number of square miles of ocean by the total number of containers ...assuming they all float you still need to subtract the number of square miles of ocean which freeze and then take that number and subtract the route surface sea area of all steel ships because they
will sink most containers they hit. Then you need to subtract the number of containers sunk by warships, space junk or North Korea rockets. We can disregard containers captured in fishing trawls as currently this is zero. After several hot rums and ciders, my manatee crew passed out on top of my computer and the results were lost. Overboard.
Happy trails to you.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 17:07   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
My original quote..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat37 View Post
Not if the contents are lighter than water*. Those things floating about loose are a heck of danger to we small boaters. And them that sink with toxins aboard are sure to pollute and often in very, very, very deep waters where we have no idea of the results -- but it's safe to assume we will eventually pay the price and then wonder "what in the world we're they thinking?!"

* Consider contents that are wrapped well in the ubiquitous plastic bags (holding a surplus of air) which seems to be practically everything.
Your quote, which is essentially saying exactly the same thing as mine.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 17:15   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'd be interested to know if any cruisers have seen one floating. Not that I doubt they do just what are the odds
Seen quite a bit of wood.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 17:17   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
90+% of all the lost containers are loaded with Chnia crap and are headed to the USA. Ban China crap and 90+%v of container lost at sea reduction.
Then where are we gone have our USA crap made ?
DomPerignon is offline   Reply With Quote