Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2024, 18:38   #121

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Considering simplicity on sailing boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
a smart phone is a good choice, but only works when within range of a cell tower....not much good offshore...worthless when wet....service cost monthly $$$.... doesn't work worldwide....breaks easily....can't be fixed by a DIY-er....needs a new bat every few years...
It isn't 2005 anymore. Most phones are waterproof these days and rugged cases exist. A phone may not have cellular service offshore but gps and charts still work.

If the Starlink direct to phone stuff works it is going to be a game changer. It is going to be a nuclear strike at iridium/Inmarsat the same way Starlink blew up the traditional sat companies.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 19:24   #122

Boat: Boat

Also keep in mind with USB electronics, that a lot of things can be "modular" now.

Instead of a chartplotter, you can have OpenCPN running on a laptop with a GPS dongle and an AIS receiver. There are dedicated USB charged AIS transmitters that you can get online. Or you can go with a tablet with built in GPS.

Plenty of lithium battery power stations you can use to supplement the house bank and keep your devices charged.

Handheld radios

12 volt portable refrigerator/freezers.

In fact you could probably replicate most of the functionality of built in systems without running much wire at all.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 04:58   #123

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

This thread topic reappears at fairly regular intervals. There isn't a right or wrong answer. It all depends on what sort of lifestyle you want to live on your boat. That is a personal preference.

When I compare living on my current boat, with more complexity and systems, with living on my previous, simpler boat I will 100% stick with my complex boat for the lifestyle I want. Sure, I sacrifice a lot of things but I get so many things that are important to me.
  • Bigger, faster dingy regularly gets us and our dive equipment safely to and from dive sites that we couldn't access with our old smaller, slower dingy
  • A good watermaker keeps us from worrying about how much water we use. We can rinse watersports gear and use water in ways we would not without the watermaker.
  • Starlink keeps us from worrying about what sort of cell coverage an anchorage will have when choosing where to spend our time.
  • We like to cook. We enjoy having a choice of cooking on a stovetop, oven, grill, microwave, etc. We enjoy having adequate refrigerator and freezer capacity to carry a wide variety of produce and proteins without having to stick close to places we could resupply
  • We enjoy having multiple ways to generate power. I love having solar so that most of the time we can meet our power needs without any noise or fuel consumption. I also enjoy having a generator so that if we have a heavy overcast for a few days we don't have to ration power.
  • ETC

My preference is to have a more complex boat. That is the right answer for me. I understand it is not the right answer for other people. There is no need for people in one camp or the other to need validation that they are doing the right thing for themselves or to suggest people in the other camp are doing things in an inferior way.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 06:15   #124

Boat: Bristol 27

Some of us have our boats set up in a simple way because we don't want it to be too easy.

We have that on land.

Also, this boat I have now is the first sailboat I have owned that has an engine, or for that matter any instruments at all.

It does have an autopilot, depth, homemade chart plotter w/OpenCPN and AIS Receive coming in from a Standard Horizon VHF Radio.

Plus, an inverter and fans.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 06:16   #125

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
This thread topic reappears at fairly regular intervals. There isn't a right or wrong answer. It all depends on what sort of lifestyle you want to live on your boat. That is a personal preference.

When I compare living on my current boat, with more complexity and systems, with living on my previous, simpler boat I will 100% stick with my complex boat for the lifestyle I want. Sure, I sacrifice a lot of things but I get so many things that are important to me.
  • Bigger, faster dingy regularly gets us and our dive equipment safely to and from dive sites that we couldn't access with our old smaller, slower dingy
  • A good watermaker keeps us from worrying about how much water we use. We can rinse watersports gear and use water in ways we would not without the watermaker.
  • Starlink keeps us from worrying about what sort of cell coverage an anchorage will have when choosing where to spend our time.
  • We like to cook. We enjoy having a choice of cooking on a stovetop, oven, grill, microwave, etc. We enjoy having adequate refrigerator and freezer capacity to carry a wide variety of produce and proteins without having to stick close to places we could resupply
  • We enjoy having multiple ways to generate power. I love having solar so that most of the time we can meet our power needs without any noise or fuel consumption. I also enjoy having a generator so that if we have a heavy overcast for a few days we don't have to ration power.
  • ETC

My preference is to have a more complex boat. That is the right answer for me. I understand it is not the right answer for other people. There is no need for people in one camp or the other to need validation that they are doing the right thing for themselves or to suggest people in the other camp are doing things in an inferior way.
In my mind you've done a good job of sticking to justified complexity. And for the most part, trading complexity of setup and equipment for simplicity and flexibility of use.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Boats, sail, sailing