Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2021, 03:41   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Com-Pac 27 from Westbrook CT to Urbanna VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadrise View Post
Hello All,

We are having a 1993 CP-27 surveyed this Friday and if all works out we will be purchasing her. We have overland shipping arranged for mid Oct, but are thinking about possibly making the trip underway.

I may have missed it (in which case apologies), I presume you have gathered some sailing experience on other boats?
If so, sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 27-09-2021, 10:25   #17

Hello All,

Once again, thanks to you all for taking the time to respond.

We are looking to start the journey South on 03 Oct, still have lots to do between now and then and am looking for a little help:

From what I can tell it seems like the general consensus is that in order to properly time the run down the East River it is preferred to time your run so that you arrive at Hell Gate at or shortly after slack before ebb...does check out with you folks?

Take care,
John
Deadrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 21:47   #18

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadrise View Post
Hello All,

From what I can tell it seems like the general consensus is that in order to properly time the run down the East River it is preferred to time your run so that you arrive at Hell Gate at or shortly after slack before ebb...does check out with you folks?

Take care,
John
I prefer to be at the Throgs Neck Bridge when Hell Gate is @ slack before ebb and up to an hour late is okay, just gets bouncy as you flush through. So I think 9:30-10am at the Throgs neck on Oct 3rd will work for you.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 10:32   #19

zstine,

Thank you for the taking the time to share you experience, very much appreciated.

Take care,
John
Old 28-09-2021, 17:56   #20

Boat: Sabre 402

Besides weather, one point comes to mind for this trip. 40-mile days on a 27' boat are long days. Sandy Hook to Atlantic City is twice that. At five knots (a possible average in reasonably good conditions) the legs are going to take longer than a single tide, so even if you catch favorable current most of the way there, it won't be all the way. We planned cruises on our J/36 (a fast boat) using a five knot average and were pleased if we did better than that. Many times we did not. A 27' new-to-you boat may be hard pressed to average five knots, so the legs will likely end up taking eight or more hours. Getting under way, clearing out of the harbor at the outset and heading in at the end can easily add an hour or two. Three or more days like that can tire the crew, and tired crew make mistakes. With two weeks for the trip you have time to stop to rest. Don't push too hard.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 19:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Besides weather, one point comes to mind for this trip. 40-mile days on a 27' boat are long days. Sandy Hook to Atlantic City is twice that. At five knots (a possible average in reasonably good conditions) the legs are going to take longer than a single tide, so even if you catch favorable current most of the way there, it won't be all the way. We planned cruises on our J/36 (a fast boat) using a five knot average and were pleased if we did better than that. Many times we did not. A 27' new-to-you boat may be hard pressed to average five knots, so the legs will likely end up taking eight or more hours. Getting under way, clearing out of the harbor at the outset and heading in at the end can easily add an hour or two. Three or more days like that can tire the crew, and tired crew make mistakes. With two weeks for the trip you have time to stop to rest. Don't push too hard.
Thank you Sir for your input. I have worked out my days using speeds of advance of 4 - 5 - 6 kts with primary, secondary and tertiary destinations when possible. Thank you for reminding me not to push it, I am going to take it one day at a time and bite off big chunks when able but, will take a short hop in the right direction if it's all the gods allow.

Take care,
John
Old 08-10-2021, 18:16   #22

Update,

We departed Westbrook on 01 Oct bound for Port Jefferson. Sailed close to two hours before loosing our wind. Eventually wind resumed but was on the nose rest of the day. Borrowed a mooring ball over night then motored into a foul wind and current most of day two enroute Manhasset Port Washington. Day there down the Hudson - timed the current well and made Atlantic Highlands by late afternoon. Had to spend following day at anchor waiting for weather. Day five we departed early under grey skies and sporty weather, total moving time 27 hrs with right at 24 hours under sail. The entire run was windy, gusty and quite bumpy - mean swell out of the East 5+ feet with 2-3’ seas mixed in. Arrived Cape May late morning, got the boat sorted out, laundry, showers, dinner, than a hard sleep. Up and out early next day to ride the current all the way to Chesapeake City….perfect run up Delaware Bay; sailed for two hours then motor sailed up to just about the C&D entrance. Grabbed as slip in Chesapeake City overnight and had a gigantic double burger and my first IPA since getting underway. Today we rode the current just about all the way Swan Creek. On a morning for the night….next stop Oxford. Should be home in Urbanna in 4-5 days, so far it’s been a wonderful experience. We have very much enjoyed getting to know some of our fellow cruisers along the way….God Speed and safe travels to all on your way South.
Old 09-10-2021, 19:10   #23

Bypassed Oxford and made the run to Solomons; great sail cracking on down the bay in winds from 11-25 it’s. Slightly over canvased at times but the old girl took great care of us. Had a port to port passing with another CP-27 sailing up bay around Taylors island. Two days from home weather permitting, going to miss this when its over.
Old 13-10-2021, 09:21   #24

We finished the trip last night!

Our final leg was Solomons MD to Urbanna VA (80 nm) 14 hours and 34 minutes (11 hrs under sail).

Trip Numbers

9 moving days, 3 weather days.

2 nights at anchor, 2 nights on mooring, 6 nights pier-side, 1 night underway.

Longest leg: Atlantic Highlands to Cape May 127 nm (105 under sail) 26hrs 29min

Total distance: 480 nm (under sailed 252 nm)

01 Oct Westport Ct to Port Jefferson NY - 35 nm (15 nm Under sail) - Mooring

02 Oct Port Jefferson to Port Washington NY - 35 nm (0 nm sail) - Pier side

03 Oct Port Washington to Atlantic Highlands NJ- 37 nm (0 nm under sail) - Anchor

04 Oct In-port due to weather - Anchor

05-06 Oct Atlantic Highlands to Cape May NJ- 127 nm (105 nm under sail) - Underway

06 Oct In-port for rest - Pier side

07 Oct Cape May to Chesapeake City MD - 63 nm (16 nm under sail) - Pier side

08 Oct Chesapeake City to Rockhall MD - 43 nm (0 nm under sail) - Mooring

09 Oct Rockhall to Solomon's MD - 58 nm (51 nm under sail) - Pier side

10 Oct In-port due to weather - Pier side

11 Oct In-port due to weather - Pier side

12 Oct Solomon's MD to Urbanna VA - 80 nm (65 nm under sail) - Home

Six states and many wonderful cruisers along the way.

The CP-27 is a fine little ship, overall very comfortable and functional for 12 days aboard. I was pleased with her speed off the wind and ease of handling. With reefed main and full 135% she was well mannered in 15-20kts with gusts up to 25kts running down the Chesapeake. She is a bit lively when the seas are up - we were in a washing machine on our run down the NJ coast and were pretty beat when we arrived Cape May. The westerbeke 20 hp was flawless and allowed us to make time against the tides heading for the East River. If we had more time we would have gladly kept heading South, never felt cramped or stuck on a boat. The hard part is returning to boring everyday life.

Ahoy! what ship be that? We're HARRIER eleven days out of Westport CT, bound for Urbanna, VA - That was are rallying call things got interesting along the way, going to miss that part.

Great Job by my wife and shipmate Sonia!

Take care and good sailing,
John

1993 CP-27 HARRIER