Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 01:25   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Cockpit Shade Suggestions other than Bimini

Hi All - looking for suggestions for cockpit shade for the new boat while at anchor. While a Bimini is the obvious choice, we are going to hold off getting one for a while so we can properly design one based on how we use it (and I really like the look of the boat without a Bimini). When at anchor, though, or hanging out at the dock, I would like to have something that I can take out for some sun relief. Any recommendations on sun shades, umbrella's, etc? It seems that Taylor Made has a couple ones and then I think a brand called Blue Shade that hangs from the main halyard. Those are only 6' x 6' so might need to get two to cover the cockpit but any suggestions would be appreciated (especially those that pass the wife's design esthetic).
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:06   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Cockpit Shade Suggestions other than Bimini

To design an awning that will fit your specific boat should not be too hard.
We made a Sunbrella one that's basically a rectangle with grommets, which goes from the mast all the way to the boom gallows. It has no fancy angles, darts, nor even curved seams. Any canvas shop could whip you one up in a jiffy.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:02   #3

Boat: Bristol 27 #335

I owned several small tents before I got my boat so I use the top rain cover which has little ties on the corners.

I just tie it to the rigging and my dodger so it blocks the Sun.

Others tie on a forespar (centered on the backstay) then use a $10.00 tarp.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:02   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Thomm's idea sounds like a quick fix - get a long rectangular tarp and spread it over the boom with shock cords to stanchion tops. We have an awning that goes from the mast to the backstay, so it shades the cabin and cockpit pretty well. This helps keep it cooler below on hot, sunny days. It is held up by a bridle that attaches to the main halyard and has three or four adjustable-length aluminum tubes that tie off to the toerails to spread it out, keep it flat and stop it from blowing around. (The tubes enable us to fold and roll it up into a conveniently-sized packet for stowage below.) We've found it secure enough to allow us to motor with it rigged on days with no wind.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:06   #5

Boat: Seaward 22

This is an interesting and simple concept.
https://shibumishade.com/
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:12   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Depending on the amount of sun block desired, a mesh maybe all you need. A shade like these could work and are inexpensive.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:16   #7

On the tarp idea, that’s what I originally floated. However, the wife said that fell in the “too ugly” category… she liked the blue shade umbrella that hangs from the halyard but seems like it may be too small. Any ones that I can mount to the stanchions?
Old 07-05-2021, 10:29   #8

We've used an inexpensive umbrella from an outdoor table - the ones with a hole in the middle. Cheap and helpful. We prop it up and move it around with bungee cords and velcro straps against the binnacle or the dodger. Walmart Specials!

We don't have a bimini. 18 years in SF, 4+ here in BC, too cold for one!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:41   #9

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
On the tarp idea, thatís what I originally floated. However, the wife said that fell in the ďtoo uglyĒ categoryÖ she liked the blue shade umbrella that hangs from the halyard but seems like it may be too small. Any ones that I can mount to the stanchions?
Look for sport umbrellas meant to attach to a chair or rail.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:45   #10

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Depending on the amount of sun block desired, a mesh maybe all you need. A shade like these could work and are inexpensive.
+1 on the sun block coarse, open weave fabric. It passes hot air out, and doesnít pond rainwater. Of course, it only rains 4 or 5 times a year in Baja Sur, so water ponding isnít usually much of an issue.
+1 on your lady nixing one of those ugly blue or silver tarps. If you do that, you need to put your boat up on cinder blocks and have a rusty engine on your foredeck.
Once you build your bimini, you will quickly realize your boat still looks good with its cockpit sunhat on.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:07   #11

We might still do the Bimini off the bat. Part of it is a budget issue with the new boat. I think it is wiser to have radar added first and while the boat is in commissioning than to do the Bimini first. I am also a fan of being able to use whatever we get for the foredeck area once we do get a Bimini.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:08   #12

Boat: Moody 376

when i was working on my boat, while on the hard I bought a 10x14 tarp cut down the of my neighbor bamboo stalks works like a charm. eventually the bamboo broke so I bought three used telescoping poles. 10 feet wide down most of the length of the boom the poles keep it high enough so I can look under the tarp and walk around with out getting strangled or close-lined. and In a pinch the poles can come out and the boom becomes the top of the a frame.

could probably be uses while motoring on a hot summer day with no breeze. currently its rolled up around the poles and strapped to the shrouds.

used paracord to make the connections. Id love to have one made out of heavy nylon with sleeves for the poles to make it easier to set up and take down and store. so I don' t have to stare at the poles on the shrouds every day on the boat....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9544.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	237912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9539.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	237913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1098.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	237914  
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:18   #13

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
We might still do the Bimini off the bat. Part of it is a budget issue with the new boat. I think it is wiser to have radar added first and while the boat is in commissioning than to do the Bimini first. I am also a fan of being able to use whatever we get for the foredeck area once we do get a Bimini.
Where are you cruising that you think radar is more important than simple creature comforts? The Sea of Cortez isnít known for fog, so Iíve only used my new CHIRP radar once in anger to enter an anchorage Iím familiar with on a dark, moonless night.
AIS is useful, you can get a Standard Horizon VHF radio that includes AIS reception only, with NMEA0183 output to your MFD
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Where are you cruising that you think radar is more important than simple creature comforts? The Sea of Cortez isnít known for fog, so Iíve only used my new CHIRP radar once in anger to enter an anchorage Iím familiar with on a dark, moonless night.
AIS is useful, you can get a Standard Horizon VHF radio that includes AIS reception only, with NMEA0183 output to your MFD
San Diego and will cruise up to the Bay Area. Again, seems like a safer thing to have and also an easier, cheaper install when the boat is being commissioned with the mast down versus down the road.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:45   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well I employ the ugly tarps (But some aren't that ugly.) But my favorite is the most obnoxious of all, the reflective space blanket type! On a really hot day, it's great!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, cockpit