Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2008, 14:52   #16

Your Cruising Boat. It all depends....

I think that the first issue is what do you intend to do with the boat? A boat that does coastal cruising is not necessarily the boat you want to have to cross an ocean. I say this because, in most circumstances along the coast, you can find refuge within 24 hours. This will protect you from a severe storm. At sea, you have no choice, you have to be there no matter what kind of storm it is.
So lets presume you want to cross an ocean. "My" first priority is safety for all aboard. To this issue I feel a boat has to built strong, thick hull, bonded bulkheads, double spreaders, etc. Second is comfort. You will be living aboard this boat so you want to feel comfortable and at home. Sometimes you cannot get them both, at least not to the same level of comfort you might want. Third would be performance. You do not want to cross an ocean doing 4 knots. There has to be a compromise here. Usually fast boats are not built as strong as you would need. Some overly built boats don't sail too well. You have to find that balance. The other items I would list would depend on the size of the boat, the number of people aboard, the destination, etc. If you can find someone who has a copy of a book I wrote "Plot Your Course to Adventure." "How to be a Successful Cruiser." I have one chapter totally devoted to this subject.
upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 15:43   #17

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We looked at a lot of boats that fit our lists of needs and wants. What sealed the deal for us was $price$.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 16:06   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
I think that the first issue is what do you intend to do with the boat? A boat that does coastal cruising is not necessarily the boat you want to have to cross an ocean. I say this because, in most circumstances along the coast, you can find refuge within 24 hours. This will protect you from a severe storm. At sea, you have no choice, you have to be there no matter what kind of storm it is.
So lets presume you want to cross an ocean. "My" first priority is safety for all aboard. To this issue I feel a boat has to built strong, thick hull, bonded bulkheads, double spreaders, etc. Second is comfort. You will be living aboard this boat so you want to feel comfortable and at home. Sometimes you cannot get them both, at least not to the same level of comfort you might want. Third would be performance. You do not want to cross an ocean doing 4 knots. There has to be a compromise here. Usually fast boats are not built as strong as you would need. Some overly built boats don't sail too well. You have to find that balance. The other items I would list would depend on the size of the boat, the number of people aboard, the destination, etc. If you can find someone who has a copy of a book I wrote "Plot Your Course to Adventure." "How to be a Successful Cruiser." I have one chapter totally devoted to this subject.
Reading this post, I would like to offer that in my particular purchase, I had already narrowed all of this down before looking at a set of boats. There were other, larger (some, much larger and much faster - Kelsall) catamarans available at the same price range as the one I bought, but I opted for build quality. When you step on the deck of one of these Catalacs, it's similar to the feeling of stepping on a Hans Christian, or a steel boat.

Repeating what I said earlier - it was build quality. Better than tabbed bulkheads, it has completely watertight bulkheads, bilge to headliner, between the engine rooms and the main cabin (no engine-related leak can sink her). She's also got the same thing forward, with watertight crash bulkheads separating the bows from the main cabin. Say your main cabin does flood... well, you still have 4 sealed off areas (two engine rooms and two watertight crash bulkheads forward) to help with flotation.

Add to that a 1" thick balsa cored deck (that goes something like glass, core, glass, core, glass, core, glass - ha ha ha), as well as solid glass hulls and you have yourself a very reliable, sturdy boat.

The fact that she's livable and comfortable and all of that stuff really was required (for me) in every boat I evaluated.

She's not the fastest boat in light wind, but performs about as well as my old Gulfstar 45.

Geez... I'm a man in love, rambling... ha ha ha

Anyway, it was the solid construction (which includes things like watertight bulkheads, etc..)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 19:19   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
All y'all are WRONG. What sealed the deal for US?

Mama saying: "Well, if we HAVE to own a boat, it might as well be 'Merlin'...".

I'm in the Real Estate business. I tell guys all the time: "you won't get your 3 car garage with the air conditioned workshop in the back, if Mama doesn't like the kitchen and master bath".

Sorry guys. The ADMIRAL has the first & last say on this.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 20:05   #20

Boat: Island Packet 45. Tiki Hut
Inter coastal friendly;draft and mast height
We went to marinas and talked with owners of different makes and listened to their comments. Few stated they hate their boat, but some stated they loved their boat!
A boat we could own for a long time with out concern of major deterioration,IE:quality.
We could not afford a new boat ,so the previous owner has important, meaning the boat was in good shape and had been taken care of.
Most important: we liked the one we purchased, it felt right.
Old 24-07-2008, 20:09   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Well Bill….some guys steer with their tiller, others prefer a wheel…..me? I put the boat on autopilot and let the Admiral know I am a useful navigator and captain of this ship. …No complaints yet!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote