Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 13:07   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
Christmas in the Cribbean

Hi,

Just made it over to St Lucia with the ARC. What a ride!
Was just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to do and where to spend Xmas / NYE?

We're only going to get the chance to do this once so if anyone has any tips, or there's a big get together happening somewhere please let me know!

All the best,
Simon

www.sailing-interlude.com
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 14:25   #2

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Christmas in the Cribbean

Since you are already in St. Lucia, if you are ready to sleep on land and enjoy long showers and solid ground under your feet, spend a night or two at Ladera Resort up on the mountain across from the Pitons. The Pitons are breathtaking in the morning when the sun hits the tops of them and begins to crawl down to the sea. The rooms and villas at Ladera have walls on 3 sides and are completely open on the side facing the Pitons. You can watch the sun on the Pitons without having to get out of bed. Their restaurant, Dasheen, is top rated. Bring your credit card--it ain't cheap, but I don't think you will regret it.

The party spot for New Year's Eve is usually Foxy's at Great Harbor on Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands. They say that 10,000 people were there for Y2K New Year's Eve party. There won't be that many this time, but it is a landmark place in the Caribbean. The BVI's are about 400 miles from the Pitons, but you've got wind on the beam all the way there. 400 miles is nothing after crossing the Atlantic.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 19:08   #3

One of my very best Christmas,s was Freemans Bay (English Harbor Antigua) building a driftwood fire under an old steel plate to cook hamburgers, while a bunch of us cruisers played with a soccer ball and drank Red Stripe beer, laughed and played music too loud. It was wonderful. Christmas is what you make of it. Have a joyful Christmas wherever you find yourself. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 20:25   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

Simon,

Great to hear you made it ok. Hope your electrical problems didn't cause grief on the passage.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 05:14   #5

Thanks for the idea.

We got the electrical problems sorted thank goodness. So charging from the engine is fine.

However I still have an issue with shore power charging, I think our charger is either broken or set to the wrong battery type. I found our starter battery red hot and sizzling the other day, that can't be good. Just sounds like it's getting overcharged.

Old 18-12-2014, 05:33   #6

It could be the charger. It could also be a bad cell in the battery. This can be a serious problem as the gasses released from overheated batteries are sometimes explosive. Please take care and ventilate the area before trying to remove the cables from the battery. A tiny spark can be very dangerous otherwise.
Old 18-12-2014, 05:41   #7

Yeah I think I'm going to get an electrician over (again) to try and fix the issue.
Really Pi$$ing me off now. I could smell sulphur (?) at one point.

Old 18-12-2014, 06:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Congratulations on making the crossing.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 07:52   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

You do get around Simon. Congrats on the crossing. At some point, please let us know how that went, and after a bit, you thoughts re Med vs Caribbean.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:08   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
You do get around Simon. Congrats on the crossing. At some point, please let us know how that went, and after a bit, you thoughts re Med vs Caribbean.
Interested about Simon's views on that too. I am enjoying the Med far more than expected and Even after seven years I'm just very loathe to leave.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:08   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Foxy's can be really trying. Another great spot in the BVI is Trellis Bay. You do have to get there - and not late - to get a mooring.

cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:18   #12

Boat: Oyster 55

Great Harbor on JVD (Foxy's) and Trellis Bay on Tortola/Beef Island can both be very crowded and claustrophobic if you are more accustomed to quiet anchorages. In BVI North Sound on Virgin Gorda is a very good combination of plenty of room to anchor or take a mooring ball in protected water and has several good choices of restaurants and activities including the Bitter End Yacht Club, the Costa Smerelda Yacht Club (very posh), Biras Creek (also very high end) and Pusser's at Leverick Bay. For a real treat, take a taxi from Leverick Bay or Gun Bay up to a relatively new restaurant called Hog Heaven. The barbecue is wonderful and the view is breathtaking. From their deck you can see all the way to Sir Richard Branson's Necker Island and Larry Page's Eustatia Island. Even Anegada is visible in the far distance.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 09:07   #13

I second Virgin Gorda as a good base if there is room. It'll probably be crowded. You might call the Bitter End Yacht Club and enquire about mooring space. +1 284-494-2746

The only minor down side is that it is often against the wind heading back to Tortola or JVD. But usually wind is light.

Sidney's Peace and Love on Little Harbor YVD is a landmark.
Old 18-12-2014, 09:44   #14
Marine Service Provider

I would recommend Bequia for New Years! Beautiful spot and lots of fun.

If you still need help with the charging issues when you make it to Grenada, let me know - there are some great electricians here. Chris@LTDsailing.com.

Merry Christmas!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 15:31   #15

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post

The party spot for New Year's Eve is usually Foxy's at Great Harbor on Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands. They say that 10,000 people were there for Y2K New Year's Eve party. There won't be that many this time, but it is a landmark place in the Caribbean. The BVI's are about 400 miles from the Pitons, but you've got wind on the beam all the way there. 400 miles is nothing after crossing the Atlantic.
Foxy's is great if you really like terrible service and almost uneatable food. And that is when it is not crowded. Other that that, it's OK. It is unimaginable what it would be like with lots of people there.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, rib