Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 19:24   #1

Christmas Decor

This is probably a silly question, does anyone decorate their boats for Christmas?

Reason I ask is that it is a BIG part of who I am. I don't play around with lights, it's not a strand here and a strand there. At the moment, I have about 10,000 outside and over 3000 inside of my house (definitely not boat...yet) and it is growing every year.

Whenever I buy a boat, I can't leave my love for exterior illumination behind. Of course I can't take what I have with me, I'd have to downsize considerably. Trees and all. I'd still like to cover what I can in lights and rig them on a solar system.

What do you do? A tabletop tree? Lights outside? Light up the boat so you it can be seen from space?
Eggbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 20:44   #2

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Christmas Decor

I decorate... Suggest you search for "boat parade" and look at the images. You will have mighty boats to join. Some truly are incredible. Maybe yours will be the winner. There are often cash prizes for the best.

Good luck. Have fun too. I know I enjoy watching the decorated boats. Maybe next year I will particate. I won't win however I will have a good time!
Old 29-12-2016, 00:59   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Christmas Decor

When I lived on my boat, for many years I was working in retail department store or as shopping centre manager. I took a large tree (ie 10 ft) with all the decs on Xmas eve after shop(s) had closed, put them on the foredeck, wrapped tinsel around the lifelines, as I had always a sailing breakfast for "homeless" people on xmas morning, and an in-harbour lunch for the same. At many times we could not fit all people on the (34 ft) boat and the dock was full as well.
Local people, yachties, backpackers and tourists were part of the scene.
One year I lost the tree overboard in a squall, ooops. The next year the shop had one less tree.....

For nighttime, in the harbour, I had a string of lights hoisted outlining forestay and backstay.

One year I organised a sail-past with boats with Christmas lights, along the local beach. We had only 4 boats participating and the event was not repeated.
I hail from this town where this yearly event is huge! http://www.gondelvaart.nl/

That was then. Nothing now. I am working every Christmas now (different kind of job).

Tags
christmas