Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 20:05   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Perry 35
Cheoy Lee Perry 35 Stuffing Box Housing

This setup has a Cutless bearing at both ends of the stern tube. I got the prop end one out but can't get at the other one. I believe I have to take off this stuffing box housing to get at it. I've got it unscrewed and prised from the hull. Problem is it feels like it's threaded and yet it can't turn because the housing hits the hull.

Anyone seen one of these before? Got a fix for me maybe?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190520_155623.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	192497
Billy Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 21:58   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Cheoy Lee Perry 35 Stuffing Box Housing

How long of a shaft is it?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 02:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
How long of a shaft is it?
The one I cut out is 22". The designer's drawings call for 26". I just ordered a new one at 24”
Old 22-05-2019, 03:33   #4

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

It looks like you’d have to chop out some of the fill around the base to figure out what’s going on but you run a risk of creating some pretty big problems if you destroy something in the process. Can you push the forward CB out with a piece of pipe or other “tool”? Why do you need to get it out? Is it severely worn or are you changing the size of the shaft? If you are looking to replace the whole stuffing box assembly, you may be able to split it carefully with a grinder to remove. Or cut the “ears” off to maybe unscrew it. The goal for me would be to NOT damage the shaft log as that seems like a big job to replace.
Being prepared for surprises, pleasant or otherwise, is a good mindset for a project like this...
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 04:05   #5

With a repowering in the works for next winter I feel like I should replace the prop side CB and leave this can-o'-worms alone for this season. I have a week to get back in the water and don't want any more surprises.

The prop side CB was worn to almost nothing. I'd knsgirn the same is true for this stuffing box side. I'll get one more season, no?
Old 22-05-2019, 05:42   #6

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I only have the prop side one. Your shaft isn’t long so I’m not sure of the importance of two. To me, it seems like a job to be deferred until the fall. After haulout, you can dig into it knowing that you have months to sort it out not days. A new prop side CB and new stuffing box packing should be good for this summer. My advice being worth all that you paid for it, of course lol! Best of luck!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 08:04   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

I wouldn’t worry about it. One is probably better than two anyways cause if the two aren’t aligned you’ll wear one out sooner anyways or end up with a good vibration. 24” shaft is quite short and no need for an intermediate cb. We have a similar set up (heavy cruiser, with same packing gland) but a 48” shaft with only 1 cb and I’ve seen longer unsupported. Like mentioned above you’ll do more damage tearing that apart than it’ll do you good. Imo I’d be leaving it out and not lose any sleep over it. I would consider moving towards a dripless as well. That will give you a little more wiggle room if things aren’t aligned perfectly.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 12:09   #8

Thank you for your help once again. This weekend I lift the engine and replace the prop shaft. All cause o' the lot of you.

Tags
cheoy lee