Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 05:18   #1
cruiser

Check out what my buyer did!! (need to vent)

I sold my boat to some Canadians, as you are all probably aware of. Apparently, they are avid readers of this forum.

They were on here looking at the description of my "land boat" (aka the RV I built) which had some items in common with my old boat. The items were:

*4 trojan t 105s
*Dual Iotal DLS 90s
*5KW Genset

These people suggested I STOLE these items off my old boat (which they haven't taken delivery of yet).

Can anyone believe this??

I had done the following for these people after the sale, just because I tend to be a nice guy:

*Completely cleaned the boat
*Labeled all systems with Post-Its mentioning how to use systems and any tricky procedures or tips
*Put out lots of relevant material so they would have it
*Worked with the marina, who was giving them a hard time
*Went down last night and secured the boat for Noel's passage
*Be available for the guy any time he needs me with questions about the boat

I also had been planning on being there for the arrival of the truck they are shipping the boat with to help with odds and ends to be sure everything went well for that process.

All of these things I have done and was planning to do were above and beyond my obligations and I did them out of kindness and the fact that I know how hard it is to buy a boat from a distance.

It's just so insuslting to be asked if I stole the items for the land boat from the boat I sold.

Now, I am not going to help out at all. They are on their own.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:28   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Well that sux for sure.... but is a sign of the times I'm afraid. People in general don't always behave the way they should, and for those like you who do - you have to deal with these reactions. First assumption here was that you did them wrong... too bad they didn't ask or inspect the boat first before making the accusation.

They don't know you too well. But I guess you know them a bit better now eh?

Good luck on your current endeavour.

Mark

Old 04-11-2007, 05:37   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Well that sux for sure.... but is a sign of the times I'm afraid. People in general don't always behave the way they should, and for those like you who do - you have to deal with these reactions. First assumption here was that you did them wrong... too bad they didn't ask or inspect the boat first before making the accusation.

They don't know you too well. But I guess you know them a bit better now eh?

Good luck on your current endeavour.

Mark

Yeah, it's a shame things are like this these days. I guess I'm old fashioned and enjoy being kind to people and doing things the "right way" without ripping anyone off.

It seems every time I've ever been nice/kind to people, it results in this type of situation and/or being taken advantage of financially.

It's such a shame people have lost honor and decency. It was there when I was a kid (30 years ago). It seems to have vanished completely.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51   #4

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Sean,
Sorry that you have been falsely accused of stealing. That is a low blow.
I guess you will be happy to get this all behind you. Good luck

Paul
Old 04-11-2007, 07:06   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Sean
Hope your not mad at all Canadians. How old was the buyer? We come from a different time. Does that mean we are obsolete. People have become paranoid about almost everything. When I bought my last boat and we haggled to a closing point and I gave my final offer, the PO was ok with the offer, but was afraid that if he accepted I would come back to him if I found some little problems. I had never heard of this method of negotiation. No trust left.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:17   #6

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
I don't think we come from a different time, we come from a different culture than existed 25 years ago. Our "news" media relishes the bad news, looking far and wide. I see film coverage of a two car accident or house fire clear across the country. WHY? Because the news is on 24 hours a day and they need stuff to report. I see blasting headlines recently about menengitis when only 3000 cases out of 360,000,000 million people where inflicted last year. You stand a better chance of getting hit in the ass with a lightening bolt! Last summer the news in Miami was all shark attack all the time, but at the end of the summer one newscaster actually had the nerve to announce that shark attacks were DOWN that summer, despite the fact I heard about them almost daily. We are contantly bombarded with ads about identity theft, computer hacking, spywhere etc, when in reality, this happens very seldom, but the scare is used to sell product. The most ridiculus commercial I see is for a "hot button" to your credit report where a young couple says they can now check their credit report every day! Absolutely ridiculous! Banks constantly tell you that you need "protection" when all or most of the liability falls to them for bogus charges. We are bombarded with ads for burglar alarms, we are armed to the teeth etc. All just to sell product. I have traveled the world and this is the most uptight, paranoid, scared to death society on the planet. This is a major reason I am out of here soon, the media blitz to sell me useless **** is crushing me each and every day! WOW, that felt really good!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:36   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Sometimes you just have to let fly. Beats the hell out of going to a shrink. LOL
Old 04-11-2007, 09:08   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
I have traveled the world and this is the most uptight, paranoid, scared to death society on the planet. This is a major reason I am out of here soon, the media blitz to sell me useless **** is crushing me each and every day! WOW, that felt really good!
Glad to read that you're feeling better, waterworldly!

Actually, you can feel just as good all of the time. It's called taking personal responsibility.

Can't stand the constant deluge of "news" proffered by the idiot box in your family room (and, probably, living room, bedroom, kitchen and garage)? Turn it off!

Television is driven by ratings. And because it is a visual medium, pictures are a vital element. If the news editor's option is to go with a story about, say, the imminent explosion of Pakistan (without any pictures), or a house fire or horrible auto accident (with dramatic pictures), he/she will choose the story with the dramatic visuals every time.

And while you may be offended or disgusted by this "news," the fact is that most people are drawn to this crap, and more people watching means higher ratings. Higher ratings means higher ad revenue, and local television channels derive the majority of their income from local "news" broadcasts.

It's been said that "you are what you eat." True enough. But I would contend that you're also what you read, what you watch, what you hear, what you do, what you say and what you believe.

And all of that will go with you wherever you go.

TaoJones
Old 04-11-2007, 09:19   #9
cruiser

You guys each make good points - and each are valid.

No, I don't hate all Canadians. Some of you guys are ok... I guess... ha ha

Seriously, TaoJones makes a good point about the *business* side of news and waterworldly makes good points about the *cultural* side of news.

Although the posts seem contradictory, they aren't really about the same topic. So let's not get too deep in that one.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I sold my boat to some Canadians, as you are all probably aware of. Apparently, they are avid readers of this forum.

They were on here looking at the description of my "land boat" (aka the RV I built) which had some items in common with my old boat. The items were:

*4 trojan t 105s
*Dual Iotal DLS 90s
*5KW Genset

These people suggested I STOLE these items off my old boat (which they haven't taken delivery of yet).

Can anyone believe this??
Isn't this your boat??????......

Gulfstar Hirsch 45, 1987, Jersey City, New Jersey, $89,900

I do see the items you listed above on the inventory list.

Quote:
Electrical-

Pramac 5.5KW (6.5KW Peak) Diesel Genset (157.2 hrs, new 2006)
Iota 90 Amp 3 Stage Smart Charger (x2) (new 2006)
4 Trojan T-105 Heavy Duty Golf Cart Style Batteries (new 2006)
50 Amp Charger (original equipment - backup charger)
110VAC system via 2 30 Amp circuits for a total of 60AMPS power
12V System
Recessed Halogen Lighting installed throughout
Frilight electronic dimmers for halogens
Portawattz 700 Watt Inverter
1250 watt inverter with remote switch and remote outlet (at entertainment center)
Wouldn't you think they would go with the boat.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:38   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
"They were on here looking at the description of my "land boat" (aka the RV I built) which had some items in common with my old boat. The items were:

*4 trojan t 105s
*Dual Iotal DLS 90s
*5KW Genset

These people suggested I STOLE these items off my old boat (which they haven't taken delivery of yet)."

---------------

If I read Del's post and your original post, I think there are two sets of identical things here. Am I right?

Steve B.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:40   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
It's best to get everything in writing now...including equipment lists. There is no more honor.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Woowww up the horses there neddy. This is very one sided and dangerouse comments. Sean, you sure what you are saying is actual and not just percieved. Did they actually acuse you of stealing, or did they simply voice concern that the item lists were the same and they wanted to make sure you hadn't swaped the inventory over. I could understand their concern when the first time they will get to see the boat next, will be after a long journey to another country. If I was the one buying the boat, I would probably be a little concerned as well and I think we know each other a little better than you and the buyers do. I certainly would not be acusing you of stealing. I would simply be slightly confused and concerned that maybe we have not been clear on the sale.
I had a similar thing happen when we bought our boat. I thought the inflatable came with the boat. It was on the boat. But was removed after we had signed the deal. OK, it wasn't listed, but then, neither was a lot of the little bits and pieces. When we asked what was staying on the boat, we were told everything except the Alchol. I assumed the inflatable was part of it. I assumed wrong.
Sean, you know me well enough to know I aint taking a hit at you here. I just want to ensure the other party is not taking undue comments. Please just for a moment, stand back from the comments and yourself in this, and ask yourself, how would you repsond to this if you were Admin and was reading someone elses post.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:42   #14

It doesn't matter whether you know eachother - there's a new culture of suspicion. About 3 years ago my wife and I returned from a vacation and discovered that our neighbor across the street (with whom we had always been friendly) had backed into the rear quarter panel of one of my old cars doing considerable damage. The neighbor freely admitted responsibility but didn't want me to go through her insurance company. She said if I took the car to an outfit called Car Medic (the place where she had the crumpled bumper on her Lexis replaced), she would pay for the repair. I went to Car Medic - they advised me that they just do minor body work like bumpers, small dents, painting - not whole quarter panels. I then shopped around. By far the best deal was from a guy who builds hotrods and does really nice body work (but only on 'cool' cars) on the side - $1200 for a new/used quarter panel welded on and painted.

I presented his estimate to my neighbor who proceded to tell me that I was trying to rip her off - she thought I was trying to stick her for the pre-existing dent to the front fender and my whole POS car wasn't worth $1200. I said fine, called her insurance company, and an adjuster came out the next day. The neighbor was right behind him - she wanted to make sure I didn't try to stick her for the front fender dent. But it worked out fine.

The adjuster gave me a check for $1800. I paid that plus $500 to the hot rod guy and got a new quarter panel, new front fender, and a complete and really nice paint job. Car looks great - 1991 Firebird Formula with 258K miles. Best of all my neighbor won't talk to me.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:41   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great story, slomo. Especially the last line:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Best of all my neighbor won't talk to me.
It reminds me of a memorable line from the recent film, Peaceful Warrior:

"If you loan someone $20, and you never see them again, it was probably worth it."

TaoJones
Closed Thread