Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 06:27   #31
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How would it be obvious to the buyers?
It is obvious to anyone reading this thread and who knows me.

As in: "Obviously GordMay has a good handle on sailing - especially in the Caribbean."

The fact that you know boats and sailing is "obvious" to readers of the forum because we all can read about it here on the forum - just like we can all read and see by my posts that I bought new stuff to replace the old that went with the boat. Capice?

You took it out of context.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:28   #32
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Sean

Now I'm confused. If the items in question are in fact still on the boat... why is any of this an issue at this point in the sales transaction.

You have a contract. It details what's included in the sales price. If the items are all there, the contract terms are met and this is a done deal and a non issue.

Is there something else I'm missing here?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:58   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Oh heck, Scully. Have you already forgotten the mantra?
"Don't get mad, get even."

Apologize profusely for allowing your purchase of same new equipment to confuse them and assure them that everything that was listed, is still on the boat and belongs to them.

Then arm the scuttle charges and throw away the key, reminding them that was not on the list, and that you really can't remember if it was the red wire or the blue wire that they were supposed to cut.<G>

So how come you built the land cruiser, rather than buying one more or less complete? Or can you maybe post something in the off-topic area discussing that project further?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:08   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Sean

Now I'm confused. If the items in question are in fact still on the boat... why is any of this an issue at this point in the sales transaction.

You have a contract. It details what's included in the sales price. If the items are all there, the contract terms are met and this is a done deal and a non issue.

Is there something else I'm missing here?
No, Rick... you understand it perfectly. This is *exactly* why I'm upset. After all the extra work I did for these people, they accuse me of taking the items in question from the boat - even though they have NOTHING to go on except what they read on this forum. See... as mentioned above, they haven't even taken delivery of the boat yet and they already have accused me of stealing these items from the boat.

The boat is sitting in Portland and scheduled to be hauled onto their truck for transport to Canada tomorrow. T

his weekend they read the Cruisers Forum and accused me of stealing these items - with no other facts to go on except the coincidence that I bought the same electrical setup for the "land boat" as I did for the boat I sold.

The sales transaction is over and has been for some time. I have been doing extra work cleaning the boat, securing it for Noel, putting all sorts of useful notes around the boat, working with the marina and helping them out pro-bono. Then... I'm accused of stealing equipment because I have the same equipment on the "land boat" as I did on the other boat.

So yes... you understand perfectly. It should indeed be a non-issue at this point in the transaction. In fact, I'm done with helping the people - they are on their own now. So I guess it really is a non-issue at this point.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:26   #35
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
"So I guess it really is a non-issue at this point"

Ahhh.... you've been paid!! That's different....

Well, make sure all the items are there and you're out of the boat cleanly.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:51   #36

Boat: NONE yet
To bad that North Americans are so untrust worthy. Why would anyone assume that you took items that where clearly suppose to be on the boat, out after the paper work was done. The media could be to blame for a large part of it, but some people are always ready to jump to the wrong conclusion about almost everything.

At this point Sean, as long as the check clears, I would just say screw it those people are messed up and let them deal with the uptight feeling every time the deal with anyone regarding anything.

Yeah it sucks to have someone call you a thief, but if you are not and have no trouble sleeping let em behave how they want. Words can only bother you if you let them. Now if they publicly said you took items out of the boat after the sale then that would be slander.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:34   #37

some buyers are confused, some are just difficult.
i sell things for a living; and make every effort towards a 'happy' sale..
a 'happy' sale for me is when both parties are thrilled; me, with my selling price, and the buyers with the product and buying price.
i oft times go well out of my way, (yes, sean, for free), to assist with logistics, tips and knowledge. i have literally spent days sorting things out for buyers with complications.
its a reflection of my character and reputation as a seller and is priceless to me; once its lost, there is no regaining it.
i can easily understand the confusion of these buyers what with the duplication of items; i would never have handled this situation in such a childish and public fashion.
that you are not assisting in anyway possible to oversee the safe shipping of this very expensive purchase for the new owners, to me speaks volumes about your character.
i've discovered that the most difficult part of selling is actually the final details of the sale; the logistics of transfer etc.
its no time to drop the ball, take your money and run; its the time to do everything in your power to help the buyers complete the transaction.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:46   #38

I read all the posts,

I never saw where you directly deny the charges, if I missed it sorry.

So did you remove or change any of the equipment for the boat, after the their first visit.

I have taken to photographing many things when eveluating the purchase used things, and include in the contract, that the thing will be mantained in substantially the same condition, that it was first visited.

This would require the seller to repair or replace something that failed during the period from first visit to final acceptance.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:24   #39

I can see why Sean is upset... the items in question are still on the boat (he says and I beleive). He purchased identical (but new) items for his RV. The buyers did a very quick scan and found a post about these items he put on his RV. They haven't taken delivery of the boat so they don't know whether the items are on-board (yet). They put 2 and 2 together and got 0 in this case. Sounds like paranoia. Had they done a search of his forum ID for all his posts, the story would be clear enough. I'd be just an insulted as him assuming the dialog about these items was accusatory. I doubt he'd be upset if they had just "inquired".
Old 05-11-2007, 10:24   #40

Boat: Hunter 28.5 & Tanzer 22
He clearly states in several posts in this thread that he did not remove the equipment from the boat - he bought for his landboat a separate yet the same system.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:30   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I think this thread has traveled enough miles now. We all get the picture. I don't think I can allow this to continue when we don't have the other parties point of view. There is always two sides to a story and I would like to believe it was just a misunderstanding. Sean, I do think you need to cool down and also trust that it was a simple misunderstanding. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but mate, you'll give yourself an ulcer if you want to always believe the later.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Closed Thread