Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 14:59   #16

Re: cheap fast way to make a mooring

Good post Klem.
angela micinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 17:53   #17

Boat: Finnsailer 38

A lot of areas in the U.S. have no mooring regulations whatsoever--I know it is hard to believe after being in New England where every harbor has a harbormaster and harbor regulations. Personally, I would much rather have a mooring made up of a couple of Danforth anchors than any mushroom--much greater holding power, cheaper, and easier to set and remove. I have photos taken in several New England harbors with most of the moored fleet lined up on the beach with their mushroom moorings right next to them after they dragged ashore during Hurricane Bob and Hurricane Gloria.
Old 06-04-2011, 18:32   #18

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I'd be really careful to research this a bit more. We used to have about 40 home made moorings in Morro Bay. Every winter 3-6 of those boats would go away.
The professionally made and maintained moorings were nearly trouble free.
I don't think that what you first proposed will be enough, I'd feel much safer with 1/2 a dozen engine blocks chained together.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 19:35   #19

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Just had a 30 cal get blown into me, on a 55 gallon drum mooring. We had 47 knot gust The botom here is around 15 feet of nasty silt then hard gumbo clay, and if he had just put the anchor out we would not have had no prolbems.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:31   #20

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Hmmmmm, an el cheapo mooring made of rip-rap, a derelict boat with no engine........sound great, just don't moor near me!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 01:49   #21

Boat: 1974 Cascade 36, 1970's martin 29 racer/cruiser, 40 indonesian teak atkinson project dual mast ketch
Re: Cheap Fast Way to Make a Mooring

4 55 gallon ph acid testing plastic barrels with 250 pounds of concrete in each and 3/4 inch galavenized chain with a zinc on top and bottom has held my cascade 36 for 2 years no issues. With 40knot+ storms every winter. The trick is it has to be soft mud. My friend has a 40ft steel 600hp commercial tug we built it on the beach and dragged it carefully across the harbor. Once it sank in the mud after a few days he couldnt move it with the tug again it sets permently.
Captain-Shawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 14:11   #22

Boat: csy 37
Re: Cheap Fast Way to Make a Mooring

I put down a mooring 3 years ago that is still holding, although it's now another boat. When I switched to a 45lb manson supreme I surplused a 45lb cqr and a 66lb bruce. This is in a tidal river on the icw with the current alternating north and south. I connected the two with 100 ft of chain and connected a vertical chain at the midpoint for the mooring ball. Then I sunk it north and south on the river so that each anchor is taking the strain depending on the tidal flow.

Others in the anchorage use brake drums from large trucks. They are fairly common in junk yards in florida because, or so I've been told, they cannot be reground, they must be discarded. They are pretty heavy and are easily linked together with chains. They bury well in the deep mud we have. They're also cheap. I know of one that has been in continuos use here for at least 6 or 7 years.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, mooring