Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 23:35   #1

Charter Boat to Bluewater Crusier

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here,

SORRY this is going to be a bit of a vague question(s). I'm looking at buying a charter boat, something around 40" and 10 years old or so.

If I wanted to set it up for blue water cruising ie: crossing the pacific, what are the essential lacking from a typical charter boat?

And roughly how much would they cost?

Any advice would be great appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Rob
dazed321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 23:49   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Charter Boat to Bluewater Crusier

It's very broad indeed, but a typical charter boat will be a coastal cruising design with a basic sail plan. It will usually have more cabins and heads than actually needed for cruising and may lack additional equipment such as mfd, autopilot, ais, radar, ssb, wind gen, solar panels, watermaker, genset, dinghy davits, etc as charter companies tend to keep these boats as simple to operate as possible and the owners get to buy a cheaper boat as a result. The motors will also be inclined to have heaps of hours on them as a result of battery charging practices and lot's of motoring from anchorage to anchorage.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 23:50   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Hi Rob, & welcome.
I can only give you rough feedback on your idea. But from the threads which I've read about the guys who go looking to pick up used charter boats, they tend to find the majority of them pretty used up.
Meaning that they have to look though quite a number of them in order to find one which isn't fit for the scrap heap, or only good for day sailing.

Also, IIRC, many find that in order to get them into shape for use as a cruiser, it'd be better to look for a boat that's either designed for such. Or has been already fitted out for such, but only perhaps lightly used. That way, some or most of the cost of fitting out of a boat has already come out of someone else's wallet. Even if some of said gear needs a bit of wrenching on, etc.

As the cost to outfit a boat with full on cruising gear can easily cost as much as the boat itself. Do a bit of digging on www.Mahina.com as they assist a lot of people in selecting boats for cruising. As well as having a wealth of wisdoms on both boats, & cruising gear on their site.

Also, if you tune up your computer, to do some customized searching on here, I think it'll yield you some good results. But for just finding some of the threads on used charter boats, likely the basic, built in search function will do the trick for you.

Good luck!

PS: It's not meant as a warning, but don't get into a boat thinking that with a bit of sweat equity, you can bring her back to like new again, for cheap. http://www.cruisingworld.com/how/refit-reality-check

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 00:25   #4

Assuming the rigging, sails, engine, etc are up to scratch, you can start with a minimalist cruising setup with Liferaft, Epirb, GPS, autopilot(if not fitted) & perhaps a satphone. AIS, Solar, windgen, watermaker, etc are more "luxury" extras and are not needed but can be nice to have.

MarkJ bought a Bene 393 ex charter and started his circumnavigation with it pretty much as purchased.
Old 15-01-2016, 08:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I'm assuming you mean 40 feet and not the 40 inches you posted?? !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed321 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here,

SORRY this is going to be a bit of a vague question(s). I'm looking at buying a charter boat, something around 40" and 10 years old or so.

If I wanted to set it up for blue water cruising ie: crossing the pacific, what are the essential lacking from a typical charter boat?

And roughly how much would they cost?

Any advice would be great appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:33   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I think you are going down the wrong path. Although many have crossed oceans on all types of boats I would prefer not to do it on a Bene, Jeaneau etc which is are typical charter boats. There are many great boats available that are already set up for blue water and priced in the same range. I prefer steel but that's me.
If you are bent on a charter boat look at Sunsail & The Moorings in the BVI. They have lots of good ones available.
Good luck
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 08:39   #7

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed321 View Post
what are the essential lacking from a typical charter boat?
As posted already, if you can find a decent ex-charter boat, the 'essentials' are mostly a personal choice.

You can sail happily with just the basics, or add luxury items (that some people consider essential to be happy and comfortable) as wanted.
What they costs depends on if you're buying new or 2nd hand etc. etc.
Old 15-01-2016, 08:53   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

To echo magellanyachts; over the years, charter boats have become more specialized in design; emphasizing volume, light, ventilation, and easy handling. They function very well, but they are not designed to sail in full storms. I would not hesitate to use an ex-charter boat for coastal cruising. These boats certainly have crossed oceans, but I would be concerned about the deck to hull interface and keel attachment.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:25   #9

I think both R&C and Lagoon Cats are both designed for blue water. They are also used for charter by Sunsail/Moorings. I believe the R&Cs still come from SA on their hull, not sure about lagoons. Also not sure if there is a under-design of the Moorings design of the Leopard or the Lagoon's charter version. Maybe y'all can enlighten me on this point.
I plan on the same thing, BTW (charter to bluewater). So this is all interesting.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
mcneilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:28   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Try:
MORGAN OUT ISLAND 41 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Used to be fairly common in charter trade
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:35   #11

You may also want to do some searches on the economics of this idea. For example, type in "project boats" which is parallel to what the work required on some ex-charter boats might well turn out to be.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:02   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

[QUOTE=Reefmagnet;2016516]It's very broad indeed, but a typical charter boat will be a coastal cruising design/QUOTE]

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS......................would you like to try and justiy that statement.

Let me help you ALL the Beneteau's Jeanneau's Island Packet's, Bavaaria's, Dufour's, Lagoon's FP's Catana's and R/C's are all coastal cruising designs. HMMMMMMMMM.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:08   #13

The OP didn't mention where he was looking for his ex charter. Where I'm located the boats are very much coastal. For example Sunsail catermarans have a "front porch".

Hardly serious blue water material.

I see you missed the word "typical" in my description. Are you suggesting all charter boats are designed for blue water?

Old 15-01-2016, 10:14   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Deleted
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:19   #15

[QUOTE=Highland Fling;2016962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
It's very broad indeed, but a typical charter boat will be a coastal cruising design/QUOTE]

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS......................would you like to try and justiy that outrageous statement.

Let me help you ALL the Beneteau's Jeanneau's Island Packet's, Bavaaria's, Dufour's, Lagoon's FP's Catana's and R/C Leopards are all coastal cruising designs. HMMMMMMMMM.
Repeating yourself doesn't make your statement any more correct as "typically" <> "all"

Do you know the pure definition of a "true" blue water vessel, at all? There's plenty of information out there on the inter webs if you don't.

Tags
charter, water