Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2021, 16:47   #1

Boat: Beneteau 51.1
Charleston to Key West

Planning a trip to Key West from Charleston. Our first long sailing trip. Departing around the end of February in our Beneteau 51.1 so the trip will be outside due to mast height. It is approximately 550 miles and we know a lot of factors will determined how long the trip will take. There will be three of us sharing the helm and we hope to make a straight trip to the Keys. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated
keevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 17:33   #2

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320
Re: Charleston to Key West

Stay relatively close to shore, maybe 50 feet depth or so, after you reach Palm Beach. This will help you avoid the Gulfstream current and maybe even give you a counter current.

Sailing Hawk's Channel can be a little tricky at night, especially with random crab pots that can wrap your prop if you are motoring.You're sailing between the reef and the islands.

Make sure you reserve a slip in Key West far in advance. They let you cancel and change days if weather slows you. Anchoring out is not worth it. When you're in Key West, spend the money to enjoy it properly.

You will likely encounter some strong easterly and southerly winds in Florida. Not a show stopper, but it ain't all easy sailing.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 17:41   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 38

From experience I can say there is good sailing along this route in February with well selected days offshore. We experienced 2-3 day periods of beautiful offshore weather followed by some days we were glad we got off the ocean.

From Charleston run a course straight for St Augustine sea buoy. From here south hug the coast to minimize the current.

St Augustine is a great stopover if you want a rest, but the place always keeps us longer than we expect.
Old 17-11-2021, 17:42   #4

Thank you Shanachie, we do have a slip at the Galleon marina. Appreciate the info
Old 17-11-2021, 17:50   #5

Thanks Sparx, how long did the trip take you? (Not counting the time ashore for bad weather)
Old 18-11-2021, 11:36   #6

Boat: Island Packet, 525, 52'

Take it from someone who has learned the hard way ***Enlist the services of a professional weather router*** I am sure there are a number of choices out there, but I use Chris Parker ( http://www.mwxc.com ). For less than a 100 bucks they will make you a custom forecast (Chris will anyway) telling you when to leave, what your weather window looks like, what the wind will be doing, what the seas will be doing, what the Gulf Stream will be doing, and recommend a course for you. For me, it is the best money I ever spent on boating. If weather allows, along with Sparx, I would also recommend a stop in St. Augustine. It is a very nice place to go ashore and get some rest. Shanachie already posted to stay near shore to avoid the opposing current of the Gulf Stream. We never get more than 10-15 miles offshore when we are Southbound and there are a couple of places in Florida, such as West Palm Beach and maybe the Miami area where the Gulf Stream can run as close to the shoreline as 1.5 miles. Enjoy your passage. Maybe we will see you here in Key West.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 11:54   #7

Boat: Hunter 40.5

The god damned crab pots in Hawk Channel.

Once you are south of Key Largo there is no reprieve.
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 11:55   #8

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Frank View Post
The god damned crab pots in Hawk Channel.

Once you are south of Key Largo there is no reprieve.
It is true. There were places where I had trouble finding a space to actually pass between them as I am 25ft wide. They are stacked up that close.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 12:02   #9

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
It is true. There were places where I had trouble finding a space to actually pass between them as I am 25ft wide. They are stacked up that close.
I was genuinely glad I had a winged keel to keep catching them rather than my propeller!

If you are cruising at night it means sail only, no motoring.
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 14:26   #10

Thanks everyone for your input. See you in the Keys!

Tags
key west