Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2022, 20:45   #61

Boat: Still building
Re: Charging Rent

Why would someone pay you for the privilege of providing you with a distinct benefit - an additional watchkeeper...???

Either hire a crew, or take on unpaid 'crew' willing to work their passage, you pay the expenses.

If, as you say, it's not about the income...

If I was 'paying rent' I'd expect to have a say in not just how the boat was sailed but where and when... i.e. a charter....

Just sayin'....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 21:35   #62

Boat: Catalina 320

“When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.”

― H.L. Mencken
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 22:34   #63

The reason there is no comparison between a renter on land and a "renter" on a boat is that boats are modes of transportation. Buildings are not modes of transportation; they are fixed to the land. This distinction underlies the need to differentiate regarding insurance, why a "renter" is a passenger or crew, and all the needs calling for different applications of laws, etc.
Sonny36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 23:15   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny36 View Post
The reason there is no comparison between a renter on land and a "renter" on a boat is that boats are modes of transportation. Buildings are not modes of transportation; they are fixed to the land. This distinction underlies the need to differentiate regarding insurance, why a "renter" is a passenger or crew, and all the needs calling for different applications of laws, etc.
Actually, it's very similar.

Once you rent a room, you introduce a commercial aspect to the operation. This applies to a room in a house or in a car.

This commercial operation comes with legal and liability issues to address. It will often come with licensing and regulatory requirements.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 05:22   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny36 View Post
Of course there’s the thriving market to rent beds in RVs as they travel around the country.....oh wait a minute, that isn't really a big thing is it?

You make a very good point.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 06:13   #66

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by judojim View Post
Boat or House sitting in Lake Worth area (Lake Worth, FL)
Boat or House sitting in Lake Worth, Florida area.
I am a retired Realtor. I have managed many properties during my career including House Sitting. I have also lived on sail and power boats. I have a captains license too.
Now, I am changing careers to begin teaching in Lake Worth, FL.
I have a lot of experience with the needs of folks who go on vacation, and need to leave their pets in mature, competent hands.
I can supply many references of folks who I've helped over the years.
Please reply back to this post with your contact information and let me know the dates and the particulars of your needs.
I should be available beginning the second week in February, or maybe earlier.
If you need to leave for vacation, or for other reasons, please contact me to discuss your needs and options.
Thanks,
Jim
I've been following this thread precisely because of this aspect Jim. I spend 1/2 the year living on land, and mostly house sitting. I'd love to include boat sitting in my options, but I've yet to see any opportunities.

With house sitting, no money typically exchanged. It's a swap of services, so an example of the real sharing economy (as opposed to things like Uber or Airbnb, which has little to do with sharing).
Old 18-01-2022, 14:33   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDontpanic View Post
Was afraid of that. I kinda figured it would, just was hoping for some exception since it will be my primary home very soon.

Thanks...
Don't Panic ...the lawyers are quoting the law and would like to get you under their control......

Did you advertise a room or a charter in any local means of publications? Do you have income from other means than from this so-called "charter business". Probably... It is not a charter or a rooming house to share expenses even if you are the legal owner of the boat. Collect all your expenses - dockage included - add in the food any other expenses related to maintenance of the boat....divide that by two (2 persons on broad) - I suspect that what you are charging is considerably less than the actual share of the costs.

Declare the money paid to you from the crew member as income with the expenses. If some unreasonable small-minded bureaucrat decides to power trip on you - file as a small (charter) business (as they request) and the losses that you most certainly will have, will give you a tax rebate for your time and effort. When they realize there is nothing in it for them, they will gladly leave you alone

You know there are a lot of armchair naysayers who need to learn that people come here to find out how to get things done, not to hear all the reasons why they can't do what they want to do.
Mediaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 19:54   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Of course there’s the thriving market to rent beds in RVs as they travel around the country.....oh wait a minute, that isn't really a big thing is it?

You make a very good point.
It's actually not that different:
- Bareboat charters = RV Rentals
- Owners (boat or RV) = No need for anything beyond a standard drivers license (not even a license for the boat)
- It's a high end market for RVs...entertainers often lease tour busses and the owner needs to register properly as a commercial operation and the driver needs a commercial drivers license. Insurance needs to be for commercial operations. A bit lower end, you are starting to see RV rental businesses that will deliver the RV to a campground...guess what as a commercial operation, you need that CDL.
Old 19-01-2022, 19:59   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've been following this thread precisely because of this aspect Jim. I spend 1/2 the year living on land, and mostly house sitting. I'd love to include boat sitting in my options, but I've yet to see any opportunities.

With house sitting, no money typically exchanged. It's a swap of services, so an example of the real sharing economy (as opposed to things like Uber or Airbnb, which has little to do with sharing).
You will have to check with Canada but the IRS treats bartering as a commercial activity (I'd be shocked if Canada didn't also).

What you see is people flying under the radar. As long as no one reports it and there isn't an incident, you've committed tax evasion but are unlikely to be caught as it's difficult for the IRS to catch you.
Old 19-01-2022, 22:56   #70

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You will have to check with Canada but the IRS treats bartering as a commercial activity (I'd be shocked if Canada didn't also).

What you see is people flying under the radar. As long as no one reports it and there isn't an incident, you've committed tax evasion but are unlikely to be caught as it's difficult for the IRS to catch you.
Which is why the only way I'd be caught dead doing anything like this with a boat is with a friend I'd trust with my life.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 04:19   #71

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
It’s interesting you say this.

I’ve been trying to grapple with how to best manage my boat when it’s done and I’m taking a break to use my RV for a season. Leaving it sitting stored, closed up and unused is bad for it.

So, what I plan to do is just this. Find the right boat sitter to enjoy the waterfront life, but NOT take it sailing (which I’d consider a bareboat charter and charge appropriately- AKA obscenely - for).

Someone responsible who likes the lifestyle and perks of a quiet life, the waterfront, just likes boats in general. Maybe even n00bs that want to see if the boating lifestyle is for them or someone who has swallowed the anchor due to health issues or getting older and really misses the lifestyle even if they won’t be doing the actual sailing.

So, expect to see a post about that within the next couple years from me.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 06:10   #72

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It’s interesting you say this.

I’ve been trying to grapple with how to best manage my boat when it’s done and I’m taking a break to use my RV for a season. Leaving it sitting stored, closed up and unused is bad for it.

So, what I plan to do is just this. Find the right boat sitter to enjoy the waterfront life, but NOT take it sailing (which I’d consider a bareboat charter and charge appropriately- AKA obscenely - for).

Someone responsible who likes the lifestyle and perks of a quiet life, the waterfront, just likes boats in general. Maybe even n00bs that want to see if the boating lifestyle is for them or someone who has swallowed the anchor due to health issues or getting older and really misses the lifestyle even if they won’t be doing the actual sailing.

So, expect to see a post about that within the next couple years from me.
Cool. Maybe we'll get to meet that way. And yes, I wouldn't expect a boat sitting arrangement to include moving the vessel (except in case of emergency). House sitters are on site to maintain the home in a safe and secure manner. It's not a rental or a charter. It's essentially like having a friend stay at your place. Most homeowners I've sat for become, and remain, friends.

I wonder if CF might be a forum to connect boat owners with sitters. I might start a thread to see if there is any interest.

The tax question is interesting, and honestly not one I've ever heard discussed in the community. Seems to me if this kind of arrangement is open to taxation, then so would parents housing a kid, or when you lend your car or your snowblower to a friend. I've gone searching, and I can't find any indication that house sitters have fallen under the ire of 'da tax man,' but I know your IRS is particularly -- enthusiastic .
Old 24-01-2022, 00:03   #73

Quote:
The tax question is interesting, and honestly not one I've ever heard discussed in the community. Seems to me if this kind of arrangement is open to taxation, then so would parents housing a kid, or when you lend your car or your snowblower to a friend. I've gone searching, and I can't find any indication that house sitters have fallen under the ire of 'da tax man,' but I know your IRS is particularly -- enthusiastic .
Parents/Spouses/Kids get special treatment under tax law, so that's a bit of a red herring.

If you loan your snowblower to a friend with no compensation and you get no benefit, there was no commercial activity. If it's lent with the requirement that he uses it to clear your 100 meter driveway before doing his, now it's effectively barter.

House sitting is similar. The owner is effectively paying for on site security by bartering free rent.

But again, unless something happens to draw their attention, the IRS is never even going to know about a lot of these activities, so will never have a reason to pursue it.
Old 24-01-2022, 02:06   #74

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Parents/Spouses/Kids get special treatment under tax law, so that's a bit of a red herring.

If you loan your snowblower to a friend with no compensation and you get no benefit, there was no commercial activity. If it's lent with the requirement that he uses it to clear your 100 meter driveway before doing his, now it's effectively barter.

House sitting is similar. The owner is effectively paying for on site security by bartering free rent.

But again, unless something happens to draw their attention, the IRS is never even going to know about a lot of these activities, so will never have a reason to pursue it.
Only barter transaction brokers and those who barter through a barter exchange club membership are taxable in the USA.

House sitting doesn’t fall under this set of rules. Just read the 1099-B and 1099-MISC forms.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 02:12   #75

Barter is taxable in Canada. As a tradesman I've done plenty - pave my driveway and I'll build you a stone fireplace....taxable! Goods and/or services have changed hands.
Does it get reported is another story!
Barkingmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, rent