Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2022, 19:12   #1

Cebu to Panama. How do I get there?

FIRST POST EVER
Lots on my mind.... less.

After crossing from Florida and living aboard for most of 5 years, on 50Ft Southerly swing keel mono-hull that NOW has been sitting in Cebu for 15 years. Next I will do Polynesia again ****with wife and 3 teenagers. We sail now in Puget Sound, WA, USA.

Had really rather start off Baha, MX to Galapagoa, Easter, Marquesa, etc, etc OR JUST CALL Tonga-Fiji / NZ home.

Considering rigging,,,, Manilla?, Taiwan?

Considering routes east.....

West/South Australia and roaring 40s to NZ?, or FP.

Yep, gotta order that cruising book!
kaivai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 20:13   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Cebu to Panama. How do I get there?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. What is the start point and the destination?.
Does this involve the Southerly?
If its Cebu to Panama and time isn't an issue I would go Sunda Strait, under Australia , through Cook Strait to mid Chile ( Valdivia) , up To Ecuador and on to Panama.
Thats what I have done, at least the Sunda Strait/Ecuador bit.... it took 23 years
Old 26-11-2022, 20:34   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

kaivai,

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to get the existing boat to you in the PNW, but do your necessary by now necessary re-fit in Cebu...

Cebu to Australia is do-able. re-rig here, or buy and have shipped to Cebu all the wire, new fittings etc. shipped to Cebu and do it with DIY mechanical swages: Sta-Loks, or Sea Rig, both good, both ship, see which would be a better deal for you.

When the boat is ready for a long ocean trip, sail to FP via NZ, to HI, over the Pacific High and voila`, to the PNW. Then when the season is right, go to Mexico, leave from wherever in Mexico you pick and sail to the Galapagos (if they are on your wish list), and from there to the Marquesas, Tuamotus, and Societies, and from there, NZ or Oz. You'll be needing a re-fit again, and NZ or Oz will do.

Or, there's the equatorial route, but then you'd have to do all your refitting from the Philippines first, and that may be a problem, unless there's someone you trust there who can collate your shipments for you. If you're fluent in Spanish, you could get the boat to Mexico and join it there. There are also boats shipped out of Brisbane, Qld., to Canada or Mexico. So many options, such great expense, and so little time.

Depending on your other commitments, you might want to do it in stages. IMO, Oz and NZ are okay places to leave a boat. FP is okay, better if you speak or write French well, and has cyclone danger. In both Oz and NZ there are safe places to leave the boat for cyclone season.

Or, if the boat is seaworthy for a long voyage, you could go via South Africa to Panama to wherever it is on the west coast of the US you want to take the boat. I personally am not familiar with that route, but keeping the roaring 40's on your quarter is not a bad deal. Otherwise you're off to the Indian Ocean, and then go via Good Hope or the Canal, through the Med, and off to Panama. The thing is it's a long way whichever way you do it.

If it were myself, I would NOT want to leave the Philippines without a new rig. And my background is that my husband, Jim did rig our boat with Sta-Loks before we left the US many years ago. So I learned long ago to help put them together, and to trust them. The thing is that your boat may be in terrible nick for undertaking a long voyage. We don't know about the on board comfort conditions:

Are the water tanks full of bacteria and or algae?

Is the upholstery and foam all shot?

Is it all moldy?

Do the fridge and heater work right?

Have rats got aboard and it needs a complete electrical re-fit after you de-rat it?

So from the safety of my saloon this blustery late spring day, it looks like a heck of a lot of potential work to get the boat ready for sea. It is not just the wire, it is the chainplates, tangs, turnbuckles, cotter pins: all of it needs thoughtful inspection & replace if necessary (I didn't like being dismasted at sea). These are just a few issues I'd anticipate. I'm sure you can have foam cut and covered there (someone will be a seamster or seamstress). Probably the refrig. Maybe the electrics. I'd think if you sailed out, you'd be willing to wait till you got to the States for an electronic re-fit.

It is the long time unattended and without maintenance when lots of *stuff* can happen. Are the sails okay? The sail covers? The engine?

Ymmv.

Hope this helps with your pondering the issues.

Ann
Old 26-11-2022, 22:38   #4

Thanks,

You are spot on! Needs all of that.

Im hoping the engine and gen-set runs, but it too is original equipment.

All the upholstery is gone. Bimini canvas rotted.
Cabin needs new window glass / polycarb, etc (a large salon with 180' windows).
Its suppose to be clean with new bottom paint as of last month. But its the Philippines, one never really knows until one sees. And then one questions.
Keel is stuck up.
Needs full electronics / Nav / lighting refit NOW.
Old solar panel array is probably dead.

Winches and in mast furling need gone through.
Hope sails arent dead.
Suppose to be good running rigging but its been sitting forever.
Needs a life boat.
Boat <= $50k, budget <=$50,
Headed to Cebu in Jan/Feb to see it again.

I WILL NEVER TAKE MY FAMILY OF SHORE WITHOUT IT 100%.

BUT..... I know the boat really well - and its beautiful and handles well and LOVE that swing keel !!!!!

I would be doing all the work but I'm "standing rigging ignorant" !
I do know what it is,,,,, Just never worked on any of it.
Everything else I have done, (engine, electric, nav, whatever,)

yep......
I know
Old 26-11-2022, 22:52   #5

Would be happy turning north toward Easter Island and head west again.
Old 26-11-2022, 23:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivai View Post
Would be happy turning north toward Easter Island and head west again.
I'd be concentrating on the overhaul before worrying about the voyage.
What is Cebu like for refitting? If sourcing stuff locally is an issue fly to Oz and bring back in baggage.
Out of the box - my refit list. Standing and running rigging, sails, engine, batteries, solar. Then electronics and systems, pumps assorted. Propane installation.

$50K sounds do-able if you don't need new sails and can make do on the cosmetic front. How much work can you do yourself.

Nice boat, one turned up in Ecuador earlier this year with the keel stuck down.
Old 26-11-2022, 23:06   #7

Red highlight on pumps as I will wager a penny to a pound that your smaller service and bilge pumps will most likely all be toast. Don't ask how i know this.
Old 26-11-2022, 23:19   #8

Im sure the pumps are all toast. Pretty realistic about this.

As far as the route, I'm always planning out 10 years, this sailing gig is planned over the next 1-5 years. Likely do a live aboard in Cebu with family and do 98% of the work ourselves, visit for sailing vacations twice a year or so and island hop our way to NZ eventually.

I never hire anything done. I have really long `to do' lists. This boat may get scratched off the list if its a total wreck. Im not emotional about it and don't have to have it.
Old 27-11-2022, 01:51   #9

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Is this the boat?

If it is, you certainly have your work cut out for you.

The engine appears to be a Yanmar and in reasonable condition externally, but that photo was taking 4 years ago. It's likely the hoses are dried and cracked and would need to be replaced.

The sails appear to be moldy, and if they were left furled for 15 years, I would almost be afraid to unfurl them. In photo 5 of the mast, the jib appears to be a little tattered, and the headsail is wrapped so tight it likely has zero life left, esp. without any apparent sacrificial UV panel on either sail. I'm betting your need new sails.

Along with standing rigging, you're also going to replace all the running rigging, and canvas.

Looking at that electrical panel I don't envy you. I'm thinking the wiring is old bare copper that is pretty corroded, and I shudder to look at the birds' nest behind the panel.

It's listed as a project boat, and indeed it will be. But, you're budget of <=$50 is likely going to be closer to >$50,0000 even if you do all the work yourself.
Old 27-11-2022, 03:13   #10

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Depending on which boatyard you are dealing with in Cebu you are very likely to get shoddy work covered up cosmetically. One yard in particular business model is to do work to minimum standard necessary knowing that usually the customer will have departed the country before problems start showing up. Failing that he has the Davao mafia to protect him about comebacks. Be afraid, be very afraid. I speak from personal experience
Old 27-11-2022, 14:38   #11

THATS THE BOAT, LOL.

But I've never seen that ad! Thats it!

I know the owner well and cruise with him in Lake Union, Seattle occasionally.

If its a bottomless pit I may not get into it UNLESS ITS A FREEBEE.

ITS IN Zaks Marina, Carmen, Cebu. More like a graveyard from what I can tell.

Will be there Jan / Feb for 3 weeks to investigate.
Old 27-11-2022, 14:43   #12

Thanks again for a link to that ad! I could never find it listed ANYWHERE,
Old 27-11-2022, 14:53   #13

Best plan. Price what you know you can fix yourself. How much will sails, electronics , pumps, rigging, cost? Can you get them into Cebu without paying 40% duty? Can you source batteries locally and at what cost?
Re the rigging, if you can import it get everything made up a foot or so longer than needed with one end terminated. Then only one termination required - workload halved. Is it worthwhile flying in a rigger from Australia? Two days travel Pay, 2 days work = $$?
Ignore the cosmetic stuff - sail to Thailand or somewhere to do that work.

To stay within budget I suggest an offer of $1. Leaves you with $100K for refit.

Also re getting to Tahiti from NZ - ignore Easter Island - LATAM has a daily flight - just do a big loop direct to FP.
Old 27-11-2022, 15:46   #14

THANKS El Punguino!

I enjoy your take on this. And I agree. Helps so much to put it in perspective with knowledgeable feedback.

Hopefully I can stay in contact and have discussion here after I get on site in Carmen. I plan to spend time on the boat, and sail it, however I'm realistic that it maybe in no shape to sail. This of course would be the rock and hard place where both the owner and I need to get to.

I am expecting the worst.

Generally, I dont mind owning it and taking a couple of years to get it ready, doing shake-down sailing etc. Before crossing with my family.

Thanks!

Anyone, please contribute anything else you think I need to hear. I AM LISTENING!
Old 27-11-2022, 15:52   #15

FYI

Just to let you know, all my eggs aren't riding in 1 basket, here is a backup BOAT plan if the Southerly deal goes to the bottom.

Among other positives, this boat is on location in my general destination, albeit with different budget requirements. One look at the foredeck cleat will give an idea of how its built.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...ustom-7384499/

https://www.charterworld.com/index.h...ht--tavake-595

Tags
Panama