Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2021, 18:57   #16

Boat: Junk rigged composite Atkin Tern, 30 feet
Re: CCA boats and wind vanes

We loved the very old Hydrovane on our Cheoy Lee Offshore 40, a nearly identical hull to your Rhodes Pearson. It got us around the world, with some maintenance (Teflon bushings added in Phuket) and a slight modification (a control line that ran to the bridge deck--there is something similar on newer models). The latter saved us from having to leave the shelter of the dodger and claw through the mizzen rigging to adjust the vane.
Hene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 04:25   #17

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
Aries wind vane

Our two school ships (Lagoon 440's) have Raymarine hydraulic linear drive self steering.
Fine units, especially when you have the manpower to back them up should they should fail.
And yes - one of them developed a leak in the cylinder and had to be rebuild, and the electronics rotted so badly, that we had to call an expert.

I would never cruise my own boat without a wind vane - any well tested will do.
I get the pro's and con's of the different vanes, and there are quite a few good and well tested ones out there.
Personally I just love how the Aries is built like a tank, powerful, yet as sensitive as a feather

I ordered a brand spanking new Aries.
Current producer Lean Nelis was super helpful and he tailored the mounts after thorough consultation, drawings, photos and a measurement template.
I almost feel bad for all the time he spent!
A big thumbs up from me!
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 10:01   #18

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

I have had 5 boats since 1984 all with Windvanes used for 4 trans Atlantics on both CCA boats and non CCA. Vanes were both Aries and Monitor who customizes the mounting for every boat. I’m sure Monitor already has the mounting design for your boat.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 07:22   #19

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Hillbillybuddha: I am looking for wind vane also, reverse transom Bristol tho. Have looked at all those mentioned; Monitor, Aries, windpilot, sailomat.

No one has mentioned Windyselfsteering vanes...any experience? and 1/3 the cost of above units. (I have no affiliation). Admittedly the transom mounting isnt as robust as more expensive units, but necessary? https://windyselfsteering.com/selfsteering/

Or neptune wind vane? neptune@windvane.co.uk
thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 09:10   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 30

just out of curiosity I checked out a Rhodes 41 on the Monitor (Scanmar) site. Don't know if this is your boat, they also had a couple of Rhodes Bounty 41 variations.

Old 26-04-2021, 11:37   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Hillbillybuddha: I am looking for wind vane also, reverse transom Bristol tho. Have looked at all those mentioned; Monitor, Aries, windpilot, sailomat.

No one has mentioned Windyselfsteering vanes...any experience? and 1/3 the cost of above units. (I have no affiliation). Admittedly the transom mounting isnt as robust as more expensive units, but necessary? https://windyselfsteering.com/selfsteering/

Or neptune wind vane? neptune@windvane.co.uk
thnks
Absolutely necessary to my way of thinking. There will be times when you are sailing off the wind in a breeze and with large swells. The loads on the mechanism and the mount will be heavy, they have to carry the entire force of turning the rudder. It is worse if the rudder is not a balanced rudder. Yes you can reduce the loads by reducing sail, however there will be times when you have not done that quickly enough.

This wind vane is mounted on a very small foot print, not widely mounted to spread the load. It also depends on those two arms to transfer the force from vertical (at an angle) to fore and aft. I just don't think it is robust. My monitor is much better engineered to carry loads, and I've broken it!

Tags
boat, wind, wind vane