Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 18:46   #16

Re: Caught the Bug and would like advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just start by going for some sails. Go hang at the marina and tell them your plans.

If you like the sailing, buy a boat!

Come spring of next year, I'll definately do so. Thanks.
maestrowilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 18:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have to say you have presented one of the best thought out plans for learn to sail I have ever seen.

Only see one thing I would disagree with, cheaper to build a boat. When you start buying all the bits and pieces and parts it will add up to a lot more than you ever guessed. Plus in this economy shop around and you can find some really cheap deals on boats, even free. But beware, sometimes a free boat is too expensive IE it may cost more to fix it than it's worth or what you would pay for one in better shape.
Good point Skipmac, I'll keep my options open and keep an eye out.
Old 14-10-2013, 19:22   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrowilldo View Post
Ok thanks, I'll look at adding it to my list. I had seen some bad reviews so I avoided it on my initial buying spree.

Take the best and leave the rest. It starts with sailing kindergarten, but the illustrations are excellent. I found myself in too much wind and too much following sea one day, and recognized the problems we were having because the book had described them so well. It also described other potential problems well enough that I took action to avoid them (such as being caught on a lee shore -- my sailing companion, who was as wet behind the ears as I was, was trying to INSIST that we get closer to shore ...). That person has learned a lot since then.

I think any book that can help get you out of a scrape is a good book. It also, in ten words, described the circumstances that caused me to bend a rudder shaft 30º -- something that seriously impedes sailing. And ... you really do want to be able to steer when the waters you're in can do something like that to your boat!

I'm pretty sure you'll get a fresh perspective on some things, and I bet it will have things you don't know yet. I suggest to people that they read it starting out, even though they may not fully understand it all, and then read it again a year later.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 20:01   #19

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just start by going for some sails. Go hang at the marina and tell them your plans.

If you like the sailing, buy a boat!
I'm in the military too and 4 yrs until I get to 20. I took ASA101 and a short sail a year later and decided to get my first (current) boat and enjoy it very much.

Plenty to learn while you're deployed. Good Luck.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 20:37   #20

Boat: CORBIN 39

there are dozens of good boats for sale that you can buy for a lot less then building your own. building your own boat is for people who enjoy it for perhaps a hobby. for the sort of boat you are thinking of, there is not much to do for maintenance . just day sailing right? get one and learn, on the job training. if bought right, you can sell it for the same price when ready.
go for it, you can do it!
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 20:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I'm in the military too and 4 yrs until I get to 20. I took ASA101 and a short sail a year later and decided to get my first (current) boat and enjoy it very much.

Plenty to learn while you're deployed. Good Luck.
I guess you have been luckier than me, the closest I have PCS'd to water is Belgium. Was the learning curve from ASA101 to sailing on your own steep? What kind of boat did you end up with?
Old 14-10-2013, 21:04   #22

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
I guess you have been luckier than me, the closest I have PCS'd to water is Belgium. Was the learning curve from ASA101 to sailing on your own steep? What kind of boat did you end up with?
I took sailing lessons in Kemah Texas after an Afghan deployment. At the time, I was stationed in Germany. PCS'd to Tennessee and the closest lake is an hour away. I did what you are considering. I read a bunch of things online, bought a intro sailing book used for ASA101 and went for the lessons. My boat is a Nor'sea 27 (blog in signature below). I still have a lot to learn. After buying my boat, I spent a year or so working on some projects getting it ready for the water and even since getting it into the water 4 or 5 months ago, I've still been working on setting things up. Tried going on my first sail a week ago and had to turn back due to a leak so going to try again soon before it get's too cold.

I have really enjoyed messing around on the boat. There is always something new to learn and keep you busy. And that's just to keep it afloat. lol

Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 21:09   #23

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day MWD, and welcome to CF.
...One thing: if you do decide to build a dinghy, I'd suggest something like plywood and stitch and glue fabrication rather than a straight fibreglass build... So hang in there and one day you will be out here with the rest of us boat bums, enjoying the best lifestyle I know of!

Cheers,

Jim
I built a couple small/easy boats. The "8 hour canoe" took me 40 hours I later chopped it down to an 8' pirogue pram which fit perfectly in the bed of my pickup. I also built a personalized version of the D4 8' dinghy. Both both boats were stitch and glue. You might check out Sam Devlin's site... might also enjoy Pygmy Kayak and Chris Kulczycki's CLC Boats or Free Boat Plans for Stitch and Glue Wooden Boatbuilding.

I took some pics of my dinghy build process and hope to fill in more details but for now it's The life and ramblings of JimboNonno: D4 Dinghy with Sail Swing Keel Trunk. It was a fun and easy project, but the result was really too large for the deck of my 35'er. Totally blocked my view and access forward. One can go smaller and lighter than you might think.

Best of luck and have fun!
Old 14-10-2013, 21:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I know this is going to sound Craaaa-zy because of the book, ... is (brace yourself!) Sailing for Dummies. Terrible name; excellent book for beginners. Excellent. Did I mention it's very good?
I love the Dummies books. Learned to play piano, program VB etc from them. Look it's free! SAILING FOR DUMMIES - DOWNLOAD FREE

Oh BTW where I live you must take an online course or classroom to get a Boater Safety Card. Without the card you can't get insurance.
Old 14-10-2013, 21:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I took sailing lessons in Kemah Texas after an Afghan deployment. At the time, I was stationed in Germany. PCS'd to Tennessee and the closest lake is an hour away. I did what you are considering. I read a bunch of things online, bought a intro sailing book used for ASA101 and went for the lessons. My boat is a Nor'sea 27 (blog in signature below). I still have a lot to learn. After buying my boat, I spent a year or so working on some projects getting it ready for the water and even since getting it into the water 4 or 5 months ago, I've still been working on setting things up. Tried going on my first sail a week ago and had to turn back due to a leak so going to try again soon before it get's too cold.

I have really enjoyed messing around on the boat. There is always something new to learn and keep you busy. And that's just to keep it afloat. lol

Wow, what a great boat. I was just reading up on them today. Love the design and lapstrake construction. The lay out on the 27 seemed pretty good too. I think it might be too small for the wife and I since the end product we are looking at is a circumnavigation, so I am leaning toward their 37 footer. I have not been able to find any good pics of it's overall layout just tiny wire diagrams. How is the layout working for u? It blows my mind that a 27' long 8' beam can be so apparently roomy. is the inboard easily accessible (one of the things i like about the Tartans 34C)? It's under the floor, right? How is the aft cabin does it seem big enough for a 6'2" 200lb guy and 5' wife? I would definitely go for one of these designs if the op presents itself.
Old 14-10-2013, 21:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I love the Dummies books. Learned to play piano, program VB etc from them. Look it's free! SAILING FOR DUMMIES - DOWNLOAD FREE

Oh BTW where I live you must take an online course or classroom to get a Boater Safety Card. Without the card you can't get insurance.
Yeah, I am currently working my way through Colorado's Online safety course. I ind it very informative. Though they do beat allot of subjects to death.
Old 14-10-2013, 21:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I built a couple small/easy boats. The "8 hour canoe" took me 40 hours I later chopped it down to an 8' pirogue pram which fit perfectly in the bed of my pickup. I also built a personalized version of the D4 8' dinghy. Both both boats were stitch and glue. You might check out Sam Devlin's site... might also enjoy Pygmy Kayak and Chris Kulczycki's CLC Boats or Free Boat Plans for Stitch and Glue Wooden Boatbuilding.

I took some pics of my dinghy build process and hope to fill in more details but for now it's The life and ramblings of JimboNonno: D4 Dinghy with Sail Swing Keel Trunk. It was a fun and easy project, but the result was really too large for the deck of my 35'er. Totally blocked my view and access forward. One can go smaller and lighter than you might think.

Best of luck and have fun!

Thanks checking out the links now. For training purposes and daysailing I really want one that can carry me the wife and both kids, That equates to about 500 meat pounds. If that means the boat will be too big to be my tender in the future, then I'll just have to get another. Any advice as to which of these might be big enough for my needs.
Old 14-10-2013, 21:59   #28

Be careful of book downloads. Sometimes they sign you up for something that you have to be careful to "opt out of" or you get charged $33+ per month. I didn't research this particular link, but you may want to do so.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 22:31   #29

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

If you want cheap, buy any one of the thousand of used sailing dinghys on Craigslist. I built a B&B Spindrift 9' nesting dinghy and spent over $1500 before any of the "sailing" equipment was purchased. Great skill builder, but not cheap when done right.

Matt
Old 14-10-2013, 23:05   #30

Quote:
T...For training purposes and daysailing I really want one that can carry me the wife and both kids, That equates to about 500 meat pounds... Any advice as to which of these might be big enough for my needs.
Sorry to be a naysayer, but I wouldn't tackle that big of a building project, I'd spend the time sailing instead. I don't have experience owning a trailer-able boat. I'm sure many others will have great advice. Here there is an inexpensive sailing club where one can take lessons and/or checkout boats.

My first sailboat was a Catalina 22 shared with a friend. It was cheap, safe, small enough to learn, large cockpit, and pop-top cabin to spend a night out camping. We put it in the water for the summer and left it...parked it in his backyard for the winter. Many folk around here (beer can) race C22, Ranger 22, San Juan 21 or SJ24, J22s... I learned a lot and had other people to crew for or crew for me. Then I chartering several like Pearson 28, Catalina 30, Erickson 28, Sweden 36 for holidays with my wife, 2 daughters, and our nephews.