Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2014, 18:40   #16
cruiser

Re: Catamaran or monohull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
Smackdaddy, your answer is probably the best I have read on the subject!

Marshall
Yeah - I get that a lot.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 19:09   #17

How bout those double hulled sub's? Electric motors solar power and much less motion sickness in storms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 21:59   #18

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Hi, if you check my posts you'll find that I've given a pretty good, non-biased comparison of the two styles in the past.

My suggestion, though, is that you simply start by looking at different boats of both style and find what you like, is affordable, and meets your requirements. Very often, availability and price are overriding factors over all other concerns.

Based on your post, I would draw out at least one specific point - most sailboats draw inspiration from racing models. In monohulls especially, this is expressed in the open air cockpit coupled with a deep cabin inside the hull of the vessel.

Though monohulls very sporty and compact, an ocean cruiser benefits from the option of sailing from inside the cabin. You can approximate this on many monohulls with the addition of dodgers, biminis, and side curtains, but it is a standard feature on many multihulls.

Some cruisers love the sporty hardiness of always sailing from that open cockpit, along with the sporty feel of the boat in the water as it wallows and heels through the waves, but others prefer the more docile feel of a "cruising" catamaran.

In either style of boat, though, luxury and comfort comes at a cost. If you need low price and wide availability, a medium-sized open pit monohull will, by far, be the most obvious choice.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 00:27   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Oh god, not again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
+1

Lasts time I used the "t" word, my post got deleted. Apparently you are not allowed to identify posters as such. But please don't feed them.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 04:28   #20
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

This begs the question,

WHY would long time cruisers, and CF members with thousands of posts under their belts even READ a cat vs mono thread? Why? It's like picking at scabs or watching old Ali-Frazier re-runs, I guess.

Or maybe we just like the old cliches.

Here's another one:

NOBODY ever goes back to monohulls after sailing on a catamaran.

OR this one:

Buy a catamaran if you want to save your marriage.

Or how about:
A monohull is considered a half a boat in many circles.....

Which ones have we missed?

Hey, going forward, on the NEXT T-Roll mono vs cat attack, lets see if we can get ALL the old cliches on the first page of the thread...
Old 22-11-2014, 12:50   #21

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I still reply because, finally after 15 years, most of the old misconceptions and biases and false beliefs have faded away, and the Catamaran has found it's place IMO.

I believe I've worked out the answer to the age old question "Which is better?" and I like to share that insight with others.

There is an answer to the question - there are clear advantages and disadvantages to both designs, and it is more than just a question of cost or luxury. It's a matter of usage, desired size, and often simply market availability. Dream boats are not the most common models in the market, unfortunately, and they are rarely among the most affordable.

I didn't repost my entire analysis in this thread, but maybe I'll dig it up later if the thread persists.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 18:48   #22

Boat: Comet 41s

If you don't know what kind of boat for the money you have it is probably because you did not sail enough...so go out and sail

Chart cats and monohulls and remember that all cats and all monohulls are not alike...and if you are not experienced, not all will be suited for you... but a boat is a big investment so maybe you should have some decent experience first otherwise you can buy a boat that some years later you find that is not the boat you want for that Atlantic crossing or for keeping.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 06:24   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulik View Post
I am also looking into buying my first sailboat and these are the reasons why I will buy a cat:

1. Monohulls produce more sea sickness than multihulls

Not necessarily correct. The two have a very different motion which effects different people different ways.

2. In bad weather monohulls will wallow a lot, cats are much stable and are better for ocean crossing

Cats may not wallow but in certain conditions they have a very jerky motion that many find very unpleasant.

3. Multihulls are faster than monohulls.

Generally, yes but in a cruising cat loaded down with stuff the speed difference is not as much as many suppose.

4. Multihulls have more space than multihulls

Of the same length but if you compare space per dollar cost of the boat that advantage goes away.

5. Multihulls have low draft, you can beach them.

In general yes, but if shallow draft is the main criteria then you can get monohulls with shallow draft as well. Was once on a 70' monohull with a lifting keel that the owner beached.

cats can sink also, if they are not designed to be unsinkable

A cat is basically 2 monohuls joined together, this means you will pay the price for 2 monohulls, so , quick answer to your question would be:
cats are a better boat design for cruising, if you have money, buy a cat, if you don't and really want to sail, buy a monohull.
All comes down to what you like.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 13:03   #24

Boat: Gemini 105 or Hunter 386

Hi. I'm in the same dilemma. I'm not sure which to go with. I've narrowed my options down to Gemini 105 and a Hunter 386. My max price is $70,000. I've never experienced living on a boat, so I have a couple of questions for those who have or spent multiple days and nights on a boat.

Between a Cat and a Mono, which is easier to sleep in?
I've researched the Gemini 105 thoroughly and have heard about the infamous 'Wave Slap'. I've never experienced sailing a Cat. I've experienced a monohull, but never slept on one. Will it be very hard adjusting to the constant rocking of a monohull? Keep in mind, I'm a really light sleeper.

Also, those who live miles off of any land in sight, how do you deal with internet? I run my business from the internet and am willing to pay a couple hundreds bucks a month. I'll be a coastal cruiser island hopping the caribbean, but too far out to pick up local internet service. Note: I have looked into this topic and am a bit confused. I heard of internet pricing and equipment costing an arm and a leg ($10,000?) and other prices like $150 for unlimited satellite using $1,500 equipment?

I plan on buying a boat in the later spring or early to mid-summer, once I sell off the house in a couple of months. Before buying a boat I'll be living in an apartment in the USVI.

Thanks in advance to those who take my questions seriously.
BlackTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 15:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
If you have the money - get a cat. If you're tight on money - get a mono.
I don't understand your reply. Maybe you don't know that Hunter does not make Catamarans. Perhaps you should like to change your allegiance to Comet, than you can choose between a cat and a mono

To the OP: boat type of boats, if they are adequate for offshore sailing are safe. Choosing one over other is a question of personal taste. Between both types there are many types of different boats. First learn how to sail then experience both types and choose the one you like more.

Smack is right about one thing, cats of the same length of monohulls are more expensive even if they generally have more interior space.
Old 28-12-2014, 15:22   #26

I will get a cruising catamaran someday. The day I give up on life.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 15:19   #27

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

BlackTiger,
If you will be in the VI, contact Catamaran Company to charter a Gemini or at least go spend some time on one. If you can you should probably charter before buying a catamaran.

Polux,
You might be wrong...I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that Hunter (Warren Luhrs) entered into an agreement with Gemini Catamarans President Laura Smith (Gemini Cat founder Tony Smith's daughter) to build the Gemini 35 Legacy.

Marinduque,
?????
Is your comment another one of the inane ones that usually crop up during a (once in a while) civil conversation concerning this subject?

Help me to understand your contribution to this thread.

SearenitySail
Old 29-12-2014, 15:36   #28

Quote:
Polux,
You might be wrong...I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that Hunter (Warren Luhrs) entered into an agreement with Gemini Catamarans President Laura Smith (Gemini Cat founder Tony Smith's daughter) to build the Gemini 35 Legacy.
I really hope not, I mean not Hunter on the Cat market but the Gemini 35? They would be so much better in commanding a more modern design to a top cat designer.
Old 29-12-2014, 15:56   #29

Quote:
Marinduque -
Is your comment another one of the inane ones that usually crop up during a (once in a while) civil conversation concerning this subject?l
Nope. It is *my* perfectly civil *opinion* expressed as a *honest* response to the OP's question. I have done plenty of miles on both catamarans and monohulls in both fun and harsh conditions. I shopped for a suitable catamaran for a while but found nothing that suited my particular need for sport, style and sailing ability. That was 12 years ago and it seems like all the designers have found a profitable business in boats I will not buy *until I give up on life*. That is, when I give up my need for a certain sportiness, style and sailing ability in exchange for lying about undisturbed in a sterile shell more resembling a dreaded condo than a boat.

Your implication that I or my comment is "inane" is neither civil or allowed by the forum rules. Nor is it appreciated.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 15:58   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinduque View Post
Nope. It is *my* perfectly civil *opinion* expressed as a *honest* response to the OP's question. I have done plenty of miles on both catamarans and monohulls in both fun and harsh conditions. I shopped for a suitable catamaran for a while but found nothing that suited my particular need for sport, style and sailing ability. That was 12 years ago and it seems like all the designers have found a profitable business in boats I will not buy *until I give up on life*. That is, when I give up my need for a certain sportiness, style and sailing ability in exchange for lying about undisturbed in a sterile shell more resembling a dreaded condo than a boat.

Your implication that I or my comment is "inane" is neither civil or allowed by the forum rules. Nor is it appreciated.
With respect, you have clearly not been sailing the correct multis. Try a good design and come back to us.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hull, monohull