Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 11:21   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Carrying Mast from Chicago to Mobile

Looking for sailors with experience carrying their mast aboard from Chicago to Mobile. We have a keel stepped mast that runs about 68'. Trucking the mast gets expensive at that length. Considering carrying it on crutches.

How hard is that going all the way from Chicago to Mobile? Please share your experiences doing this.

Thanks
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:03   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Carrying mast Chicago to Mobile

I have not done that route but have carried my mast on deck over twenty times going through the NY State Canals.

Make sure the crutches are sturdy and high enough to go over the dodger (it always rains when carrying the mast on deck). Besides lateral lashing make sure you secure the mast so that there can be no fore and aft movement when the boat pitches. I also leave the spreaders and rigging on the mast. Just lash the shrouds together so you don't trip over them.

I leave my roller furling genoa on the furler, protects the foil and reduces storage space. Just lash the works to the mast. Leave the main on the boom, again you don't need another sailbag to take up space. Stow the mast butt forward with a fender lashed to the side in case you touch a lock wall. Also make sure your anchor locker and windlass are not obstructed. You never know when you might need to anchor quickly!

Take care when going through a lock or going alongside. Remember you now have a 68 foot boat.

Tags
mast