Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 04:32   #1

Caribbean route advice needed

Hi all. We are currently in the wonderfull dominica onboard our gulfstar 50 . We are sailing with our kids ages 10,8,3 which are having a great time .
Our plan is to sail down to grenada and by may to cross over to the a.b.c's and then san blas.maybe rio dulce. After that western caribbean and bahamas .
We are looking for advice from people that have done that route. about which places are worth stopping in and where not to stop.best times to sail .itineraries.
We dont want to be in places where personal safety is a big issue.we love snorkeling and hiking and just looking of having fun with our kids.
Thanks
Shai

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
shaisimon81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 15:32   #2

Re: Caribbean route advice needed

Any advice on the area is welcomed..

Old 31-03-2014, 17:33   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Hi There... IMHO...

We did that trip recently and are currently in the San Blas Islands. You can see our route on our web page The adventures of yacht Gilana

I would go directly to the Tobago Cays, then to Grenada. From Grenada I would skip Venezuela completely and get to Bonaire, and try to spend 3 months there. Forget Curacao and Aruba, Bonaire is better, safer, nicer, the diving is stunning, good supplies (Van Den Tweel) Good Laundry, its a wonderful place. Next head straight for the San Blas on the inside route, you don't have to stop, but on that route you can if you want to or need to. Last time we went the outer route and the wx was awful, there is a weather "thing" that lives just north of Sta Marta. See you when you get here. Hailing channel is 72, and there is a net every am on 8107 13h30 UTC or 08h30 panamatime...
Old 31-03-2014, 20:58   #4

Thanks for the reply. Looked at your page. Great photos .how expensive is life in bonaire?
Is it possible to pick up the bauhaus panama guide on the way ? (Cant get it where i am)
Cheers
Shai

Tags
Caribbean, rib, route