Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 23:08   #31
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Captain/Owner Sleeping at the Helm

On our Volvo-Penta if the transmission is engaged into reverse while sailing with the motor off it is nearly impossible to shift back into neutral unless speeds are less than about 3.knots.

If it is necessary to start the engine then it must be started in reverse gear or boat speed must be reduced below this threshold and it shifts into neutral with a sickening clunk and a lot of force on the lever at over about a knot or so.

Bad on the transmission, as well as the engine when started in reverse. The manual states to leave in neutral.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 23:38   #32

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
On our Volvo-Penta if the transmission is engaged into reverse while sailing with the motor off it is nearly impossible to shift back into neutral unless speeds are less than about 3.knots.

If it is necessary to start the engine then it must be started in reverse gear or boat speed must be reduced below this threshold and it shifts into neutral with a sickening clunk and a lot of force on the lever at over about a knot or so.

Bad on the transmission, as well as the engine when started in reverse. The manual states to leave in neutral.
And apart from that locking a fixed prop slows the boat! If a folding prop is fitted then stopping the engine while in reverse encourages the prop to fold and the neutral is the go.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 00:10   #33

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
And apart from that locking a fixed prop slows the boat! If a folding prop is fitted then stopping the engine while in reverse encourages the prop to fold and the neutral is the go.

You sure about that?

Think about trying to compare the drag of a 10" diameter prop and a 10" diameter solid disk, the windmilling prop will have even more drag than the disk since it extracts energy from the entire area, compared to the disk where water will just move around it.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 00:34   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
You sure about that?

Think about trying to compare the drag of a 10" diameter prop and a 10" diameter solid disk, the windmilling prop will have even more drag than the disk since it extracts energy from the entire area, compared to the disk where water will just move around it.
Not this one again

A free turning prop has less resistance than a locked fixed prop.

It's been thrashed to death in countless previous threads.

Google "site:cruisersforum.com fixed or freewheeling prop" for several days worth of entertainment

You'll see lots of separate threads going back 15 years or so rehashing all the same invalid arguments about dragging disks, comparisons to aircraft propellers, helicopter auto-rotation etc etc.

You will also find that every thread eventually contains the actual science and the results of empirical research and comes to the conclusion above.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 02:47   #35

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Not this one again

Google "site:cruisersforum.com fixed or freewheeling prop" for several days worth of entertainment

You'll see lots of separate threads going back 15 years or so rehashing all the same invalid arguments about dragging disks, comparisons to aircraft propellers, helicopter auto-rotation etc etc.

You will also find that every thread eventually contains the actual science and the results of empirical research and comes to the conclusion above.

Thank you Stu.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 03:48   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Not this one again

we just lift our propellor and drive leg out the water
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 05:42   #37

Boat: Island Packet 40

Maybe he was using the noisy rumbling to try to keep himself awake??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 08:50   #38

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
Anyways, I slept in the cockpit on all overnighters from that point forward. Safety of the crew is priority! When I do overnight passeges on Salty Dreams. I always sleep in the cockpit. Just in case..
Good idea.
That way you are on deck when you hit the rocks.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 09:03   #39

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
I recently crewed on a catamaran from St. Thomas to Ft. Lauderdale. We did a staight shot St. Thomas to Turks and Caicos. I took the Midnight to 4 am watch, which followed the boat owner. On 2 different occasions I show up at the helm for my watch and would have to wake up the boat owner. Each time I woke him he acted as if everything was fine, he would mumble that we are on the magenta line and on course. Whatever sleepy head were my thoughts. This man would not listen to me about several instances and situations. One being the terrible vibration undersail. I questioned why he did not engege the transmissions to the reverse position to stop the vibration. He said that the boat has had that vibration since new (2016 Lagoon 45) and several captains had noted in there logs.(Charter Boat) The vibration was all to obvious that the props were the cause. So I engaged the trannys into reverse BOOM! vibrations gone. I could tell the owner was a little insensed by my observation being correct. Now,how do we deal with know it all captains? Should I have informed the rest of the crew, one being his green wife, about Captain Sleepys issue of falling asleep on watch?
Sleepy people on watch is accident waiting to happen.
I towed RA out of Oriental, cap greer fell asleep and te boned our columbia. .He had no insurance and o responsibility.
Seatow messed up our boat on a soft grounding. Long story insurance companies are not my best friends. Always arguing with them with their shenanigans.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 09:05   #40

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Log every incident and get the hell off the vessel at the next port of call.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 09:21   #41

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Some years ago there was an ocean race to Ensanada from Newport. Boats were given a cruising allowance which permitted a defined amount of engine hours. A Hunter with five crew hit the rocks on an island and all perished. A GPS track showed the Hunter had traveled in a straight line directly into the rocks. Most likely the boat was on autopilot and the man on watch had fallen asleep.

No one has to permit a "captain" to operate the boat in a clearly unsafe manner, regardless of your status. Life is too short.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 09:30   #42

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Not this one again

It's odd, in the aviation world this isn't a debate, it's a accepted fact that windmilling is more drag. Next time I'm out I'll do a little experiment, ether way don't feel like ty noise, or lack of cooling water in the dripless or spinning that much for ether little or a negative
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 10:06   #43

Well if your sailing with a folder you have to select reverse to get it to fold. Once folded there is no load on the transmission nor is it difficult to shift to neutral at any speed. Fixed blades are different. Yes a fixed blade turning is less drag than if it’s locked. Always had difficulty with that as I’m a pilot and if you lose an engine you need to feather the prop quickly because the wind milling prop has so much drag. As far as telling the skipper what to do...usually not wise. Your best to ask questions to make a point. Yes it’s not as safe if a watch has a nap but unless your close to shore it’s probably not huge...solo sailors sleep lots. Im not suggesting it’s ok but it may not be worth getting into a big disagreement over.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 10:13   #44

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
So you think it was a good idea to slow the boat and risked potential damage to the engines by locking the props contrary to the skippers wishes and the manufacturer's instructions?

Now how do we deal with know it all crew?

Advisory Number: MSA08-003:

DATE February 8, 2008 Dealers and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS:

All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while sailing.
Yep - that is what is recommended on my engine/transmission combination. It is a bit more noisy but gotta follow the recs.
Old 27-06-2020, 10:18   #45

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Fixed blades are different. Yes a fixed blade turning is less drag than if it’s locked. Always had difficulty with that as I’m a pilot and if you lose an engine you need to feather the prop quickly because the wind milling prop has so much drag.
But ... if you're feathering the prop it isn't fixed blade ... do planes even have the mechanicals to stop a prop without feathering?
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, helm