Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 07:24   #1

Cant decide which boat to purchase

I moved ot Florida in 2010 and at that time sold my 320 Catalina. I am now in the market for new boat and have narrowed it down to 2.

Catalina 350 and Gemini 105MC.

I have years of experience with Catalina's but not so with the Gemini.

Any feedback on Gemini catamarans would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at a 2006, 2010 and 2011. They dont seem to hold up to wear and tear as the Catalina's do.

Regards
Tom
pagethomasa@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:15   #2

Re: Cant decide which boat to purchase

I've been aboard a few of each and I think the Catalina is a better built boat.

There are other cats in the 105 range though. Something like a PDQ 32 or an Edel 35 perhaps? What intrigues you about the Gemini? Space?
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 11:47   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

What part of Florida are you located? The Gemini has an 18" draft with the boards and rudders up. Makes cruising on the west coast of Florida worry free.

There are two C350's on my dock, one parked right next to me. I owned a Catalina 25 for ten years, so I have experience with them as well.

Catalina's construction methods are a little better, but maybe not by a lot.

I looked at quite a few Gemini's. Depending on how they are cared for makes a world of difference. You will probably see a few 10 year old models that are in much better condition than a 3 or 4 year old boat. And vice versa.

I've had my Gemini a few years now and will probably not go back to a monohull. When I get to the point of stretching the Gemini's limits I will look into a larger catamaran.

The only thing that I really don't care for is having to motor into a steep chop on the nose. It will pound like a powerboat.

If you are on the west coast or the Keys, the Gemini can take you places that most sailboats cannot.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 04:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 08:05   #5

Thanks, its great to be back sailing again (well, after I finally buy). It is very true about Gemini's. Some have little or no pride of ownership, I have seen 2003's in great shape and 2010 had little pride of ownership and it showed.

It is true Catalina's age much better than the Gemini's, must be more quality materials.

I have viewed at least 15 boats in the past month and getting close ot making decision. I recently retired from GE and have all the time in the world now to sail

Regards
Tom
Old 23-04-2016, 08:17   #6

Geminis are built by Catalina. LOL
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 10:21   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

No, Catalina never produced a 105Mc. Catalina is now producing the Legacy model and have only been doing so for about a year and a half.

Performance Cruising Inc. produced the last Gemini 105Mc in 2010. Hunter began producing the Legacy model that same year. Hunter later went into bankruptcy and Marlow Marine purchased up the remains. Apparently Marlow-Hunter and Gemini did not come to an agreement and Catalina started producing the new models, I think, in 2014.

I have been on both models produced by Hunter and Catalina. The Catalina produced boats have much better fit and finish than any of the Hunter produced models that I have seen.

The Legacy model is nice, however, I wish they would continue to produce the 105Mc model with retractable boards and rudders.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 10:39   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
No, Catalina never produced a 105Mc. Catalina is now producing the Legacy model and have only been doing so for about a year and a half.

Performance Cruising Inc. produced the last Gemini 105Mc in 2010. Hunter began producing the Legacy model that same year. Hunter later went into bankruptcy and Marlow Marine purchased up the remains. Apparently Marlow-Hunter and Gemini did not come to an agreement and Catalina started producing the new models, I think, in 2014.

I have been on both models produced by Hunter and Catalina. The Catalina produced boats have much better fit and finish than any of the Hunter produced models that I have seen.

The Legacy model is nice, however, I wish they would continue to produce the 105Mc model with retractable boards and rudders.
Great post.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:51   #9

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

I've been looking seriously at cruising monos and cats 35-40' for two years and recently decided (as a Stiletto owner) to refine my search to Cats. The Gemini was the first one I eliminated primarily for reasons of safety as the beam to length ratio is much less than the generally accepted 50%. The irony is safety has been compromised to fit the boat into a standard slip. I need more than a coastal cruiser. I also saw many many Gemini's with gelcoat crazing and other deck issues indicating movement in the structure.

Ironically if my search for a suitable Cat (preference is a PDQ 36) this season turns up empty, my backup is a Catalina 380...
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:39   #10

INteresting, good to know about Gemini, I thought it may be due to over exposure to the hot Florida sun. Anyone else have anything I should look out for in Gemini's?

Tags
purchase