Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2010, 12:37   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I am not sure what you mean by a license, but in Canada you do have to prove competency. Unless you have proof that goes back before 1999, you need a PCOC to operate a motorized vessel.
Exactly ! to get that PCOC requires a simple 10 minute written test that my nephew passed. It is NOT a license. In Canada the only "license" required for pleasurecraft is if the boat is over 20 meters. My 20 meter license required courses at the Great Lakes Maritime Institute, A discharge book proving sea time in various capacities and a four hour exam....... thats a "license".
Old 17-01-2010, 12:37   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
So what is the PCOC if not a licence?

The PCOC card program is a failure but no more so than our vehicle driver licencing system. Giving a person a licence to operate a vehicle (or vessel) for life is asinine. If we had to re-test every 5 years or so, and included meaningful skill tests such as skid control (remember, it is icy up here 6 months of the year), we would have much safer drivers. A simple practical test including boat handling skills such as "can you dock your boat, unaided by anyone on shore?" should be included. Most people would flunk that one based on what I see lately.

There's a social aspect to this as well, that being that no one gives a crap about anyone but themselves when driving a car (boats as well) and a lot of the bad behavior with modes of transportation is driven by that fact.
You might like the Irish ICC (http://www.sailing.ie/dynamic/pdf/IC...8july04%29.pdf)

Theory test, practical test and renewed every five years.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 12:44   #48

I was lucky enough to have had a parent who cared that I was responsible on the water, and gave me at least the rudimentary understanding of navigational aids, and encouraged me to be safe and educated about cold water and its dangers. As a CMRA Volounteer and CPS Member He taught me how to use a marine radio and get help If needed. Honestly I can't understand why anyone would want to be out on the water and not know the basics.
Although I thought I knew everything on the test for the PCOC, I took it anyway, and still got a couple wrong, but learned from the experience. I think that the govt was correct in using this softer approach to boater education, ad I also feel that it has been a success in many ways: I have friends older and younger who would never have taken a boating course otherwise, and they were surprised at the practical value of what they learned. I feel safer on the water knowing that there is a minimum standard for boating knowledge, established by a qualified body, even if it is just a couple dozen multiple choice questions. It gave Bob Izumi a little more media exposure, and literally hundreds of startup companies a revenue stream, and an excuse to fill up a desk at the boat show, employing handfulls of young people.
There are always people that are going to be critical over government decisions. this one was pretty on the up an up, and in the big picture , is pretty irrelevant. Hopefully it saves a few lives, Canadian and otherwise.
modul8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 12:52   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
... Just went to the NZMaritime website where they do seem to require a license Becoming a skipper | Seafarer licensing - Maritime New Zealand
The NZ compulsory licensure is for commercial skippers, not recreational sailors.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 15:35   #50

Quote:
In Canada the only "license" required for pleasurecraft is if the boat is over 20 meters.
Can you point me to this requirement?
Old 17-01-2010, 19:17   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
I thought I had this link but Transport Canada has shifted everything around in their site again. so you will have to dig through CSA 2001.

Search - Transport Canada

There is a section in there somewhere that lays out all the requirements for the various licenses. The official title as stated on my license is .......
" Master Limited for a pleasure yacht exceeding 20 metres in length, operating off the coasts of Canada ". Not quite a cool as "Yacht Master".

Note the spelling of "meter"
Old 17-01-2010, 19:59   #52

Quote:
I thought I had this link but Transport Canada has shifted everything around in their site again. so you will have to dig through CSA 2001.

Search - Transport Canada

There is a section in there somewhere that lays out all the requirements for the various licenses. The official title as stated on my license is .......
" Master Limited for a pleasure yacht exceeding 20 metres in length, operating off the coasts of Canada ". Not quite a cool as "Yacht Master".

Note the spelling of "meter"
There is no reference to the pleasure craft (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-20...a:l_1-gb:s_123)

All you need to operate a pleasure craft craft is a PCOC, cheque book and sufficient funds.

Masters hold "certifcates"

Meter is spelled "metre" in Canada
Old 17-01-2010, 20:20   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I took my test from a man retired from the Coast Guard. I studied the material from freecourse.ca and the Coast Gaurd Auxillary. I actually took it quite seriously and got it done quickly and well. The man giving the test told me that no-one taking the test from him had failed but the ones that had come closest to failing were men who had been boating a long time. They didn't study since they presumed they knew everything from the years of experience they had but there are laws that aren't neccessarily learned by experience. Conversely their wives usually studied and did well. I took Power Squadron 40 years ago and a lot has changed since then so I'm glad I took the time. He told me they are working on cleaning up the license mills. I sure there is no money in this for the government. Of course, you can still rent a boat and all you need to do is convince the vendor you are familiar with boats! That seems a little strange!
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote