Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2012, 15:06   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Canadian Government Invests in Small Harbors

As this article explains, Canada will make significant investments to repair, construct and maintain small craft harbours across Canada.

Although concentrated on fishing vessels, this action should benefit all.
Old 04-09-2012, 13:30   #2

Re: Canadian government invests in small harbors

Well i sure hope so... But im not holding my breath.

In squamish where my boat is moored the neccesary dredging is caught in a perpetual catch 22 cycle. At zero tide the deepest point leaving the harbour channel is 4 feet of water due to silt buildup.

The city says it is the dfo's responsibiliy, the dfo says they only pay for dredging in harbours with commercial fishing activity. There are commercial boats in the harbour but dfo says it is not a fishing hub, and says the port authority needs to pay for it, the port authority then applies to the dfo for a debenture (like a loan) who then endlessly reviews it in a different department and says that because of commercial activity it does not qualify for the debenture and tells them to apply to get the dfo to conduct and and pay for the dredge, who then say it is not commercial.....

Years pass and boats continue to run aground regularly due to constantly shifting underwater mountains, and nothing ever changes.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 14:35   #3

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
I'm not aware of another harbor that needs this more than Squamish. I had my boat there for 2 years, and it was beyond annoying that I couldn't go sailing some weekends because of the low tides. I would love to return there after sometime in the South Pacific, hopefully they can get this issue sorted out.
Old 04-09-2012, 14:47   #4

Re: Canadian government invests in small harbors

no doubt. after running aground once in the channel due to a 40 ft powerboater plowing at me going 20 kts not following collision regs, then hitting another bump in the middle of the channel right before the government wharf, I'm totally paranoid of going out or in at quasi low tides. 3.5 hrs waiting for the tide to lift me makes me gunshy of going out at all. with the winds there the way they pick up, you really have to commit to a six hour day on the water if your out for a daysail, and in that vortex between watts and squamish that could mean killing several hours in building winds in excess of 30 kts.

my most recent experience waiting around for tides the forecast called for 10-15kt inflow, which built well beyond and hit 20-30 with gusts to 50. Not fun trying to go slow and kill time in that. IMO the lack of dredging in that channel is a safety hazard to anyone with a keel, potentially forcing boaters to remain in bad and dangerous weather.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
government