Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 09:10   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Canada acceptance of USCG Licenses and permission to work there?

Does anyone know if with my USCG 25 ton Master's License with the sail endorsement would allow me to work as a sail charter captain in Canada? Will they both recognize my license AND allow me to be employed there? My IDEAL way to spend my retirement years would be April through Sept. in Nova Scotia, and the rest in Coastal AL and the Fl Panhandle.

I have another thread running to get thought s on a particular vessel I'm looking at and the pro/cons of that type boat in the hot/humid gulf of mexico environment. One of my replies there just mad me realize this forum is probably a great place for me to get this info.

Could I work in Nova Scotia?
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 09:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Canada acceptance of USCG Licenses and permission to work there?

Not an expert in this specific area but have some general knowledge that I think will relate.

First issue, and on this point I'm pretty clear, regardless of what kind of work, chartering a boat or flipping burgers at the local greasy spoon, if you want to live and work in another country, even temporarily, you will have to apply for the appropriate residence and work permits.

Then regarding the captain's license, my speculation is if you take a US documented boat from the US with passengers into Canada as part of a trip then a USCG license would be acceptable. If you originate a charter in Canada you would have to comply with Canadian license requirements.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 09:40   #3

Boat: Hunter 386

I've always wondered wha the Canadian requirements are. I have taken some private charter cruises and I know they had nothing at all like the US's 6-pack. I have always assumed therefore it is much less rigorous to run a small charter biz in Canada.

The official websites are worse than useless:

Quote:
Question 17: What are the requirements of running a Charter Boat operation?

Answer:
Running of a Charter Boat is considered a commercial operation carrying Passengers, for which vessel has to be registered and equipped (Life-Saving/Firefighting and Radio Requirements) under applicable regulations and manned as per the Marine Personnel Regulations.

Manning requirements of a vessel depend upon particulars of the vessel (Length/Tonnage) of the vessel. What navigating, communications and safety appliances are carried on board) and the voyage the vessel is engaged on.

Best guidance for all this is obtained by contacting the local office of Transport Canada Marine Safety (TCMS), giving them all above relevant information about the vessel, its operation and area where the operations are intended to be carried out.

Addresses of our TC offices - Examination Centres are listed at section 1.8 of Chapter 1 of our following publication TP 2293: (PDF file, 4048 KB).
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...-1052.htm#qt17
Old 27-02-2019, 11:26   #4

Quite simple answer. No.
Canada currently requires all operators of a Canadian vessel to be landed immigrants and have Canadian certificates.

Visiting vessels on international voyages have to have certificate accepted by flag state,

So an American vessel can pas through Canadian waters begine or end a voyage in Canada but not operate between tow Canadian ports.

Currently. American Sea time is accepted to qualify to write Canadian certificates.
All the exams have to rewritten.
Except for some approved additional courses which may be acceptable.
This may change if the proposed changes to manning regs are approved.
Which may provide exemptions for some of the written exams for some recognized STCW certificates.

Most smalll vessels are covered by domestic regulations and certification and are not STCW.

The minimum is a PBOC with basic marine emergency duties.

Most are SVO Small Vessel Operator.
Not hard to get.

There used to be an exemption for recognized sailing instruction for instructor with recognized associations.
I am not sure I believe the PCOC is required now in addition.

The hardest bit is the green card. Or landed Immigrant.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:56   #5

The other bit you would have to consider is the business end of things.

If you incorporate you could operate in canada but would be subject to our sales taxes and corporate taxes. There are more benefits than negatives to this

I belive if you were to want to do a sole proprietership in canada you would have to have permanent resident status

Best way to find this stuff out is speak to a canadian accounting firm
stainless guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 09:10   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

MacBlaze suggests checking the Canadian, provincial, and local regulations and he is quite right. There are some subtle differences from those in the U.S., and elsewhere. One example is I believe in the required number of flares. In the U.S. we are required to have three current flares but I was told by a Canadian that in Canada you are required to have between three (up to 6M/19.7ft) and twelve (over 12M/29.5ft) current flares depending upon the length of the boat. Commercial use vessels may have additional requirements.

If you go to Mexico they likely will have different regulations. The good news is that between the three countries you will end up with a well provisioned boat!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 10:00   #7

First things first!

If you wish to earn an ACTIVE income (income from employment) in Canada, i.e. work "for" someone as an employee, whether that someone be a "natural" person or an "artificial person", i.e a corporation or a partnership, you MUST be either a 1) Canadian citizen or 2) a "Permanent Resident" ("Landed Immigrant" is obsolete terminology) or 3) a person in possession of a visa-cum-work permit issued under various provisions made to alleviate specific labour shortages. Running yacht charters is NOT an occupation suffering from a labour shortage.

If you form a Canadian or Federal corporation to conduct business in Canada, and you then take compensation for what you do for that corporation in pursuit of that business, you will be DEEMED to be an employee of that corporation regardless of what you yourself may think or assert.

You will have to be either inordinately smart or inordinately well connected in Ottawa to circumvent those regulations.

None of that has to do with maritime qualifications, and it supersedes all questions of maritime qualifications.

Don't ask us about such things. We are not immigration lawyers. Address your questions to the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 11:23   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

You may be able to take charter customers into Cdn waters from a base in Me./ Len

https://www.visitmaine.net/page/7/bo...s-and-charters
Old 28-02-2019, 11:28   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...ertif-1323.htm

US visitors https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...sitor-1610.htm
Old 28-02-2019, 13:53   #10

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

As others have stated here, the marine compliance is only one part of the equation. To derive income from a business in Canada as a sole proprietor you will need a Permanent Residency card, You will have to register with CRA and pay taxes on income derived here, You will need a GST business account, collect from customers and pay to the Canadian government GST, to the provincial Gov. PST. Doing business in Canada can destroy an entrepreneur's soul. If you employ anyone you will have to comply with WCB plus all the marine regulations. Many small businesses in Canada do not survive because of the required administrative paperwork to comply with Government requests. You could have to hire an accountant just to keep up with the paperwork.
Old 28-02-2019, 14:26   #11

Hm.. It's not really as onerous as Lancerbye sez. The paperwork is easy enuff once the registrations are done, but it is CRUCIAL that you deal with the visa/work permit situation up front, and that, if you are an American, acknowledge and accept that OUR laws are fundamentally different from yours. We quite deliberately designed them that way ;-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 17:27   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

One option you may want to look at is doing the RYA Yachmaster cert rather than a captains license. This qualifies you to run private charters or work as captain on a private yacht up to 80ft & 200t. The certificate is well recognized as an international cert. You cannot take 'fare paying passengers' ie run a ferry, or carry cargo. All the stuff the others have said about who can run a business in Canada is I think sound and you have to show your Canadian passport or permanent residence docs to take any transport Canada exams. I have not seen anything about USA citizens being exempt but there may be a reciprocal arrangement. To get a definitive answer to this you need to speak to Transport Canada as they are the regulator. Her is a short summary of the process for getting the first basic captains cert in Canada, as it is a 60t cert I don't think you USA 25t cert would be seen as equivalent. Master Limited 60 ton - Transport Canada Certification
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 17:35   #13

Do RYA certification if you want. Not much point though if you want to run a charter vessel in Canada. Not valid for commercial use on Canadian Vessels. Or American vessels.
You will need a Canadian certificate.
Not even sure RYA if it’s acceptable for pleasure use on a Canadian vessel. It’s not listed as acceptable. Apparently the IYT MCA is valid for pleasure use on the list of acceptable qualifications for use on a Canadian pleasure vessel. Not commercially though.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 18:07   #14

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

You also need to consider the vessel. A charter vessel operating in Canada MUST be Transport Canada inspected and approved - and this is not perfunctory! (We've had a few loss-of-life accidents). A great many production vessels WILL NEVER be approved as they are simply not up to snuff structurally or otherwise. It is quite difficult to get an existing vessel approved. The best way is to have a marine architect draw up the plans, take the plans to Transport Canada for approval, then have the boat built in Canada where it can be inspected by Transport Canada at various stages of construction.

Note on the flares issue: We require big SOLAS parachute flares. It doesn't matter how many US flares you have, they don't count if they are not SOLAS approved.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 18:07   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Does anyone know if with my USCG 25 ton Master's License with the sail endorsement would allow me to work as a sail charter captain in Canada? Will they both recognize my license AND allow me to be employed there? My IDEAL way to spend my retirement years would be April through Sept. in Nova Scotia

Could I work in Nova Scotia?
No. .....

Tags
Canada, license