Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2021, 10:48   #16

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m
Re: Can your boat do this? Would you even want to?

Hallo Joli Would this Karver help https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/karv...48-559287.html
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 11:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn33 View Post
Hallo Joli Would this Karver help https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/karv...48-559287.html
John
Thanks but I'm looking for an old Barient or Lewmar ratcheting winch handle. They allow you to ratchet the handle in either direction. Great for right spots. I don't know how to upload a picture here
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 11:16   #18

Thanks for reminding all of us that sailboats aren't made for sitting at a mooring or on a dock in harbor, but are meant to be out there, sailing hard and fast on Mother Ocean.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 16:31   #19

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Yes we can do that. We do not “race” but our vessel is capable of an over 8 knot average in 18 knots of wind close hauled. My fastest speed with a stock sail plan is 9.7 knots close hauled, she points high and her “grove”is higher than most. Non of our wench handles stay in the wenches, all of our halyards, sheets, and lines are kept tidy. There is no shouting or need for a “crew” but the vessel comfortably sleeps 6 and can stay off shore for anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks depending on how many people are on board.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 16:46   #20

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

6 weeks? Hopefully with more drinking water than OP?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 17:47   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You may be a little more close winded than we are, but in general, we've never not gone somewhere we wanted to because there was a windward leg. In fact, to me, some of the nicest sailing to be had is a fetch in 15 to 19.
Ann
I am sure your Sawyer is weatherly, especially with you two sailing it. Yes a fetch in 15-19 is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseN View Post
...Any thoughts on Adams13 willing to share?

My thoughts are Swanson, Roberts Offshore, Adams lift board.

...Any feedback? I'm slow whilst on land is what I hope; going to take a while finding a boat.
I've liked several Adams boats but there seems to be a variety. My friend had a 40 ft steel one, sort of narrow, but a good sailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
...I do remember the days of racing on boats with one winch (or tackle) for each control, plus a couple winches and a keyboard for the pit. Makes for some running around when short handed I bet - I raced a Farr two-tonner two-up for a few years around Sydney. Gybes and mark roundings get pretty frantic with runners, steering, main and a symmetrical spinnaker!
Sure does, we don't do that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
6 weeks? Hopefully with more drinking water than OP?
Sorry for the confusion. We carry 140 gallons of potable water in our tanks and drink water from the PUR35 watermaker made daily. Six weeks should be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Sounds bloody lovely!

And you're lucky to have a switched-on, gorgeous woman who is out there with you and as much of a gung-ho sailor as you are.

Hope you appreciate her!
Girl power!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
Absolutely! Yes, very very lucky.

Judy is my life, my love, and my sailing partner. And she is competent, I rely on her totally.
Old 14-06-2021, 19:48   #22

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Cruisers have different ideas about what kind of boat they like and what they want to do with it. Some want to sit around in deck chairs and are happy that their iced tea doesn't tip over.

We rather like the actual sailing.

This track (below) illustrates what we can and love to do with our boat.

We set out for Litibu, a destination 21 sailing miles away. It was 2/3 upwind work in Banderas Bay and the rest reaching and running to our intended anchorage. All but the very last bit open to the Pacific Ocean and its blue swell and fresh breeze.

There were just two of us, Judy and I, and we set the J4 working jib and a full main.

The forecast was for a clear and sunny day with westerly winds into the low 20's. We expected it to fill in about 12:00PM but it hadn't by the time we finally got underway at 12:30. We had just a breath of air when we set sail but then it died. For an hour we barely moved, making about 1/2 mile in that time. Judy went below and took a nap.

But I saw a wind line coming and by 13:30 it reached us and we took off, close hauled, tacking up the shoreline looking for a right hand shift that usually is present there. It wasn't but a slight shift to the SW was developing.

By 14:45 we were half way up the windward leg sailing comfortably in 18.5 knots true wind with boat speeds in the high 6's at a TWA of about 40 degrees and a VMG over 5 knots. We used the monitor wind vane, resetting it after each tack.

The day was sunny. The wind felt cool but it was hot and we drank all of our cold water.

The waves were getting bigger and I went forward to connect the baby stay and I got soaked by a couple of big splashes but it felt good. The baby stay stabilized the mast.

By 15:25, thanks to a sweet, port tack, lift, we'd passed our windward mark and were bearing off for the run to the North. We'd covered 10nm directly upwind (13 miles over the bottom) in 1 hour and 55 minutes. Except for a few tacks Judy and I had done nothing except go along for the ride.

If we had wanted to we could have carried on to La Paz, 350 miles across to Baja. The boat was ready, we were ready, the wind vane willing.

But instead we went to the snug anchorage at Litibu West and 16:13 we were in its shelter and dropping sails. We anchored at 16:30.

So 21 miles, mostly upwind, in 3 hours.

It was a great sail.

Can your boat do that? Would you even want to?
Seen your boat when we were in Mexico and always admired it. Nice to have a fast cruiser. Every time I have passed that area we had zero wind and we’re motoring.
Old 14-06-2021, 19:56   #23

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Short tacking I prefer the handles stowed otherwise like you have shown.
Looks like it was fun!
Short tacking? I must have logged into the wrong forum!
Old 16-06-2021, 18:46   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Short tacking? I must have logged into the wrong forum!
LoL

Whilst there, let yaw keel do the work.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 04:39   #25

Hallo Jodl There is chandlery in Southampton UK, with whom I made an enquiry, that may help with a used ratcheting winch handle for either square or star drive. If you email me niven01@btinternet.com I will forward their details
John
Old 17-06-2021, 04:41   #26

I beg your pardon - Joli
John
Old 17-06-2021, 16:32   #27

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i'm somewhat intrigued by this discussion of ratcheting winch handles.

if you have a single speed winch, doesn't it (the winch) ratchet back itself ? why then do you need a winch handle to ratchet ?

and how does a ratcheting winch handle work in a two speed winch ?

perhaps i'm just unimaginative but cannot see how such a beast would help...

cheers,
Old 17-06-2021, 16:36   #28

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i'm somewhat intrigued by this discussion of ratcheting winch handles.

if you have a single speed winch, doesn't it (the winch) ratchet back itself ? why then do you need a winch handle to ratchet ?

and how does a ratcheting winch handle work in a two speed winch ?

perhaps i'm just unimaginative but cannot see how such a beast would help...

cheers,
I guess Joli will answer this for themselves, but one problem a ratcheting handle solves is where the handle cannot be turned all the way around, such as when it is too close to something such as a dodger.
Old 17-06-2021, 16:46   #29

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I guess Joli will answer this for themselves, but one problem a ratcheting handle solves is where the handle cannot be turned all the way around, such as when it is too close to something such as a dodger.
yep, i see that...but on a single speed winch you can simply rotate the winch backwards until your handle is in the right angle again...yes ?

however thinking further, i guess on a two speed winch you could be in the position of having to turn back in the highload direction, which might be a problem for some.

of course it has to be asked why you would ever site a 2 speed winch (ie something used for decent loads) in such a place that you cannot swing the handle properly...but i suppose it can happen

cheers,
Old 17-06-2021, 16:55   #30

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
of course it has to be asked why you would ever site a 2 speed winch (ie something used for decent loads) in such a place that you cannot swing the handle properly...but i suppose it can happen
Chris, it happened on our previous boat which was a "repurposed" IOR one-tonner. The original winch layout did not consider that a dodger might someday be installed. When we converted it into a cruising platform and wanted a dodger we relocated the primary winches aft to where the helmsman could reach them, solving two problems at once.

Jim

Tags
boat