Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2011, 00:40   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Nope! But, the Texas flag and the Chilean flag are VERY similar.
Interesting!

Chile Flag Vs. Texas Flag: Similarity Gains Attention During Mine Rescue

Turns out I had a very different image of the Texas flag in my head. Thanks for correcting that.
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 01:53   #17

Boat: Able 50
A sailing vessel only has 3 available places to fly the national flag :

1. the tip of the mizzen gaff
2. the leech of the mizzen
3. the transom

Given the shortage of mizzen sails these days the transom has become de rigeur.

The main masthead is reserved for the owner's pennant. If the vessel was owned by the state of Alaska or its Governor ( shivver me timbers ! ) then the masthead would be the proper place to fly the state flag. svBeBe puts up the port spreader as the best suggestion for a state flag although that isn't mandatory. You could fly it from the transom below the national flag but it would look a little silly and anyway nobody has a transom flagpole that long. You could also fly it from the masthead halyard below the owner's pennant. The only mandatory place to fly an Alaskan state flag is from the masthead on a state owned vessel.

Go to any yacht club with a flagpole and you will hopefully see the burgee flown from the masthead and the national flag from the gaff. Race signals should be flown from the left, as seen from the gaff, end of the yard.

I had such a boring childhood in the sea scouts. Why couldn't I have had a misspent youth hanging around pool halls picking up chicks ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 02:55   #18

Suppose the Alaskan flag has to be flown on the coldest place on the boat ?
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 03:26   #19

Boat: Able 50
The former Governor knows that place well.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 05:57   #20

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
dual national

I was born in Freeport in '73 and a dual national in US/Bahamas. What is an appropriate flag scheme for a dual national? Preference? Does the ships registry dictate? Should I fly the courtesy flag while in Bahamian waters?

If I were to fly both here in the US, with the Bahamian flag subordinate, would I fly BS from the mast with US on the stern? I agree that two flags on a stern pole is awkward, so one there and the rest to the spreaders? To complicate things, I'd also like to fly the N. Carolina flag -- my home state where I farm and that of my forebears for several hundred years.

Appreciate input, this thread made me curious-

c.s.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 06:08   #21

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Just fly a six ft gay rainbow flag, wear a red g-string, and stand there smiling with a pitcher of cocktails screaming Partay! Partay!
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 17:37   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by csh View Post
I was born in Freeport in '73 and a dual national in US/Bahamas. What is an appropriate flag scheme for a dual national? Preference? Does the ships registry dictate? Should I fly the courtesy flag while in Bahamian waters?

If I were to fly both here in the US, with the Bahamian flag subordinate, would I fly BS from the mast with US on the stern? I agree that two flags on a stern pole is awkward, so one there and the rest to the spreaders? To complicate things, I'd also like to fly the N. Carolina flag -- my home state where I farm and that of my forebears for several hundred years.

Appreciate input, this thread made me curious-

c.s.
CSH, the appropriate flag has nothing to do with where you were born or what nationality you are. The proper ensign is ALWAYS that from the country of registry of the vessel.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-01-2011, 18:22   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by csh View Post
Does the ships registry dictate?
absolutely.
Old 21-01-2011, 13:17   #24

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Thanks Jim and Bash-
c.s.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:25   #25

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
This thread reminds me of supposed "anchoring etiquette!" There ain't none, no how, no way.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 10:08   #26

Boat: Albin Vega 27 Lealea
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Liberty View Post
Unicorn Dreams sounds like he has the scoop.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone outcruising noticed that except for Texas, and sometimes North Carolina and Maryland, almost no one else flys their state flag? In our last 3 years of cruising, we cruised the entire Gulf coast, Bahamas, and US east coast in every state south of Maine and noticed that state flags were often just not flown (except Texas boats, who sometimes fly the Lone Star in lieu of the national ensign, and almost never fail to fly the state flag).

My yankee bride/admiral refuses to allow our Texas flag to be as large as the US flag, and of course it flys below the US flag. Except, of course, when we haul out the 3 X 5 Texas flag for special occasions (which can include being anchored anywhere near Cape Cod).

Dave
Most US State flags look pretty much the same anyway unless the state has some distinguished history. So many of them are blue with some seal or design in the center that they are indistinguishable.

We have noticed, here on the west coast, you will see the Alaska flag more than any other, even in California which has its own distinctive banner. Also, no Hawaii based boat would fail to fly the flag of the Kingdom (Or state if you prefer - same flag)

We always fly the Hawaiian flag from the starboard spreader unless we are cruising in foreign waters. Then the proper courtesy flag flies there and the state flag goes to the masthead.

We fly the US Ensign, never the yacht signal, from the stern staff when motoring or at anchor and from the back stay when under sail.

The "Rules", if there be such, dictate that one should never fly two flags from the same hoist but this is often unavoidable if one wishes to display a number of flags. e.g. our NYC or AVA burgee goes beneath the state flag.

And of course, one should NEVER, NEVER fly a pirate flag while wearing white shoes.
Old 28-01-2011, 10:21   #27

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
CSH, the appropriate flag has nothing to do with where you were born or what nationality you are. The proper ensign is ALWAYS that from the country of registry of the vessel.

Cheers,

Jim
This is correct. I am dual British and Canadian, but the boat's "all Canadian" and is federally registered by name...meaning I do not in fact have a "boat number" or license number on display at all. Only if I transferred the registry to Britain (and that's not likely!) would I be entitled to fly the Red Duster.

Note that the Red Duster (civilian ensign for British boats) is NOT a courtesy flag, although I've seen it enough as such. The Union flag would be flown from the starboard spreader halyard of a sloop-rigged vessel (and it's possible to get it upside down!).

I have never seen an objection to flying other flags beneath this courtesy flag, like maybe the Welsh or Scots or even the EU flags, as long as the Union flag is on top when visiting British ports.

The same would apply to any "dualie", I would think. The exception in Britain is that serving (and perhaps retired) members of the various armed forces can opt for those respective ensigns on their privately owned yachts.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 10:34   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
This thread reminds me of supposed "anchoring etiquette!" There ain't none, no how, no way.
That's simply not true, regardless of how emphatically the denial is articulated. Port Captains in Mexico, for example, are quite particular about the need to fly the Mexican courtesy flag from the starboard spreader. Someone flying a state flag in that place could be subjected to fines, or at least a great deal of official harassment. I've known this to happen to someone who mistakenly thought he was only required to fly the courtesy flag while underway, but not while he was in a marina.

When you are a guest in another country, you play by their rules. That's not only good manners, but is a matter of law.
Old 28-01-2011, 12:01   #29

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That's simply not true, regardless of how emphatically the denial is articulated. Port Captains in Mexico, for example, are quite particular about the need to fly the Mexican courtesy flag from the starboard spreader. Someone flying a state flag in that place could be subjected to fines, or at least a great deal of official harassment. I've known this to happen to someone who mistakenly thought he was only required to fly the courtesy flag while underway, but not while he was in a marina.

When you are a guest in another country, you play by their rules. That's not only good manners, but is a matter of law.

Well OK. Maybe there is also a port captain in Malobo, Cameroon who would have the same insistence. But it really comes back to how I interpreted the OP's meaning of "State." One thinks of Mexico as a country although it has state status which is different than that of states in this country. I took the OP's question to apply to etiquette in US water.

And certainly, when you're in another country, you are the foreigner.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 12:11   #30

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
I have I don't recall reading any Col regs that require the flying of flags.
Hmmm, I think you're right. Likely because the COLREGs have to do with collision avoidance.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote