Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 13:05   #31

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
From where I'm standing its just more proof that Mother Nature is self correcting. People out there die because they made a mistake of one sort or another. Mom removed them from the game board. end of story

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 13:08   #32
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I don’t know anything about these California incidents. But if they all involve solo sailors engaged in multi-day passages, factors such as fatigue, exposure, injury and illness, which might be trivial on a crewed boat, can have extreme consequences. Not the least of which is impaired judgment. Sometimes experience can be a false prophet.
slomo. Yes, but these guys were very experienced. Transpac. etc. The married couple off SF were not solo.

I can't write it off so easily to "pilot error" We see experienced "pilot error" all the time. I don't see the cusp of the chaos - meaning a specific event that could have triggers it...wave...tsunami...squall...sea monster
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 13:16   #33
cruiser

Ok, question for you all.

If this is the status quo for sailors...meaning they screw up and are in harms way...why is it so prevalent here on the west coast? I don't see this kind of concentrated news coming from UK or some other face of the planet. Can't be that Ca weather and coast is the only worse in the world and we are the only sailors that mess up?
Old 03-06-2010, 12:34   #34

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Unfortunately, we will never really know I suppose. Your guess about being taken by a wave is certainly worthy of consideration as any of mine would be. I guess whatever happened, did so quickly enough that he didn't have time to state the problem when sending his mayday?
Old 03-06-2010, 15:18   #35
cruiser

Thanks everyone for your comments. Its a strange nautical world out there everyday...
Old 03-06-2010, 15:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
.... I don't see this kind of concentrated news coming from UK or some other face of the planet. Can't be that Ca weather and coast is the only worse in the world and we are the only sailors that mess up?
My understanding was that some of the worst water in the world is the North Atlantic, the North Sea and the Bay of Biscay - all UK / western Europe. I'm discounting the Roaring Forties and Furious Fifties as (apparently) no one with any sense goes in them for long...

I suspect that you are getting the journalistic effect that one news story makes editors and reporters sensitive to similar news stories and as such they get reported as a series of events. This gives the effect of a cluster of bad news.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california