Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2011, 12:50   #1

Boat: looking
California Reg & Liability Insurance for Non-Resident?

I recently bought a boat in Newport Beach & intend to moor in Wilmington Beach area - Island Yacht Anchorage - while I prep the boat for heading to Hawaii, S.P., Philippines.

I have a couple of questions about registering & insurance:
1) Do I need to re-register the boat, or am I allowed to keep it in California for up to 90 days unregistered?
2) Any idea who does liability insurance for a non-resident in California?(Marina requirement) I've tried General Mariners, but no go, & contacted my local Canadian insurers, but no go. Alternatively, is there a place to moor in the LA area where I don't require the liability insurance(not something I want but, maybe, no choice!)

Thanks in advance for all advice/suggestions

Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 15:04   #2

Re: California reg., liability insurance for non-resident?

Try this guy:

Rebel Heart - Sailing, cruising, liveaboard blog and website - Eric's Blog - good bluewater boat insurance*guy
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 15:20   #3

Thanks for the info.! I left a message, so hopefully they'll respond in a positive manner.
Old 30-04-2011, 15:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Thanks for the info.! I left a message, so hopefully they'll respond in a positive manner.
He's a good guy and should be able to steer you in the right direction if he can't help you directly.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 15:32   #5

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Two notes:
If the boat is federally documented, it doesn't need to be registered with the state.
If you stay in California for over 90 days from the purchase of your boat, you will owe "sales tax" (actually a use tax to the State Board of Equalization - about 8.5 per cent of cost)...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 15:59   #6

Michael,
Thanks for the info. . I'm planning to leave with the boat within the 90 day limit - for Hawaii - & won't be returning the boat to California. I can always document it in Canada if I take it there in the future, but plan on keeping it in The Philippines. The tough part is, like where I come from(BC), liability insurance seems to be a must-have at California marinas(& rightly so!)
Mike
Old 30-04-2011, 16:12   #7

Hate to bring you further bad news but if you are Canadian you are SOL with regard to the US Vessel Documentation Service:

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

"The basic requirements for documentation are to demonstrate ownership of the vessel, U.S. citizenship, and eligibility for the endorsement sought"

Michael
Old 30-04-2011, 16:30   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if yu buy a boat in kali, you have 30 days to remove it before payin gtaxes. look it up. is fact-- 30 days to remove it or it gets taxed as a resident. if you buy offshore, 30 days in kali to repair only then out for 1 yr. gooodluck.
calif state board of equalization will find you if you do otherwise..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 16:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
Hate to bring you further bad news but if you are Canadian you are SOL with regard to the US Vessel Documentation Service:

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

"The basic requirements for documentation are to demonstrate ownership of the vessel, U.S. citizenship, and eligibility for the endorsement sought"

Michael
Sorry, I meant state licensing.
Old 30-04-2011, 16:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if yu buy a boat in kali, you have 30 days to remove it before payin gtaxes. look it up. is fact-- 30 days to remove it or it gets taxed as a resident. if you buy offshore, 30 days in kali to repair only then out for 1 yr. gooodluck.
calif state board of equalization will find you if you do otherwise..
30? Nuts! Oh well, what are they charging in Ensenada these days, K? Or do they require liability insurance too?
Old 30-04-2011, 16:55   #11

ensenada requires liability-- you can get away with 211 dollars worth which is 50k liability.is what i have. marina prices are high but not as bad as sd--lol--ia m in ensenada marina at 200 per week, was in botes juanitos for 175/week--make ypur own deals-- they do happpen here..LOL... do NOT go to bandidos. coral is 70 dollars per night,. cruiseport is more than 50 dollars per night and baja naval is high also-- i dont know their rates-- near 50 or more. bandidos is a place to lose stuff.
i like th e family run juanitos botes. i also like the lady who runs the ensenada marina. she is patent attorney , studied at cambridge..LOL in england. yes liability is important in all of mexico. is not pricy.

for documentation service, see dona jenkins, in sd on rosecrans in shelter island area of point loma. she rocks. costs 270 to do the search and doc deal. is very very good.
Old 30-04-2011, 17:07   #12

Now to figure if you have a federally documented boat with expired documentation, or are an unregistered state vessel...
Mexican marinas usually want liability insurance. That insurance is available on-line (such as Boat Liability Insurance Online Quote | Mariners Mexico™) for about $200 per year. If you actually needed to invoke it you should have some proof of ownership.

From the Board of Equalization (guess things have changed):

FAQ - Use Tax on Purchases of Vehicles, Vessels, Aircraft - Board of Equalization

"For purchases of vehicles, undocumented vessels, and mobile homes, the use tax is due on or before the last day of the month following the month of purchase. Use tax on aircraft and documented vessels is due the last day of the twelfth month following the month of purchase or the last day of the month following the month we mail you a return, whichever period expires first. For example, if you purchased an aircraft on April 1, 1998, the use tax would be due April 30, 1999. However, if the Board mailed you a return dated June 15, 1998, the use tax would be due July 31, 1998. In this case, the return's due date supersedes the 12-month rule because it occurs earlier. (Regulation 1610, Vehicles, Vessels, and Aircraft."
Michael

Old 30-04-2011, 17:15   #13

8in order to check into a mexican port on e NEEDS to have: proof of ownership-- go to dona jenkins or someone handling that FIRST.
PROOF OF LIABILITY INSURANCE-- can be obtained in mexico and you can do it as you check in-- they are good about that... might give ye 2 days to check in , as they did me..LOL.....
PASSPORT
money--23 dollars for visa--yes you want 180 days....
yes, i am still here, so i havent checked out as yet--must do that before sailing on......
and my lasst correspondence with cali board of equalization sed that if leaving within 30 days of purchase, no tax is required.
gooood luck.
is able to be paid in installments and is able to be made with the folks at equalization board. speak with them to make certain--I SPEAK WITH THEM REGUlarly as i still owe my tax and am paying pyments.>LOL
Old 30-04-2011, 17:24   #14

LOL, ok, so what I'm hearing is "suck it up, princess!"

Mary Conlin Co. quoted me $190 & it appears that I'll have to pay the Cal taxman. Geez, I forgot how much fun it was to own a boat! Maybe, one day, I'll even get to sail her, but that's many BOAT units away...
Could be worse, in BC I'd be paying 12% for the pleasure of ownership.
Mike
Old 01-05-2011, 02:33   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: California Reg & Liability Insurance for Non-Resident?

Don't know about California, but some states will give you more time before assessing a Use Tax if your boat is in a boatyard being repaired or re-fitted. Wouldn't hurt to ask!

Tags
california, insurance, registration